1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    Tactical Response Course Review
    Fighting Pistol
    Camden, Tennessee
    June 12-13, 2010

-- The Lead-Up --

I grew up back in Washington state, with Dad always having a few guns. My brothers and I were taught to respect guns, and not to fear them. That said, I had little experience with them, other than with the .22 rifle I got for my eighth birthday.

Flash ahead nearly half a century. My father back in Washington state had died, and left me several good guns. I also bought for myself a new Glock 22 (RTF, factory night sights). My wife and I both have received our lifetime carry licenses, and were beginning to seek out some training. One younger brother is still living, and he had spotted an advert for Front Sight. I started getting myself psyched up for some quality training (and of course, the “free gun”).

Everyone says Front Sight’s training is excellent, but somehow I can’t wrap my head around the high price, the cut-rate deals, and the hype for lifetime membership. After shopping around, and almost deciding to train at Blackwater (now “US Training”), I discovered the website for Tactical Response. I felt very favorable, partly because it is in Tennessee where my wife was raised, and partly because of the enthusiasm and sincerity of the trainers and alumni.

In January this year (2010) I committed myself to make it to Camden for training. My wife is enthusiastically supportive, for which I am grateful.

-- The Preparation --

I joined and started reading GetOffTheX.com, and registered for Fighting Pistol class in May (which I later delayed until June). I started accumulating “stuff” for class – a Ranger Belt from Cheaper Than Dirt, a Blade-Tech holster from their factory in Puyallup, Washington (my home state), a CamelBak from EBay, lots of ammo (two boxes each payday) from Wal-Mart, and, even more important than the Glock … an open mind. I’ll have to attend with the attitude that I know nothing about guns, because – it’s true.

I’m apprehensive partly because I’m approaching 60, 100 pounds overweight, mildly diabetic (on pills, but no insulin injections), and have some paralysis of my left leg and hand, from a brain tumor that was removed in 1980. I do not have the use of individual fingers on my left hand, but can grasp and release. The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page assured me that they could even train me in a wheelchair, and would enthusiastically do so. (“Who needs training more!? We are glad to help anyone who needs to be able to fight.”) At least I’m not the worst they have seen, YET.

-- Arriving at Camden –

I stopped in at the store and said Howdy – verified that I was to be there at 9 Saturday morning. I then checked into my hotel. Country Hearth gets 2 thumbs up – just about a mile north of the McDonalds at the main intersection. $234 for 3 nights, for those who might care.

-- Saturday morning –

I arrived at the store and bought hat and shirts (get that stuff out of the way). My anticipation was very high. Taking this course has been my major life goal for at least six months.

James Yeager started off with introductions – himself, Jay Gibson who would be leading the range training, other range officers (Hunter, Tim, Jason – apologies to any I overlooked), and the store staff. He gave a history of the school and store. Intros proceeded with the students each sharing their name, occupation, type of gun carried, and previous training history. A majority of students carried Glock 19’s. A couple had 1911’s, one had a .45 Glock, there was a Sig, and I think I was the only one shooting .40’s.

Orders were taken for lunches to be catered to the range by Hunter’s wife. I went for it, and they are highly recommended if they are available by the time you take your course. My first lunch contained homemade potato salad and an awesome BBQ chicken sandwich (very generous with the meat, and not too hot on the BBQ, appreciated by my sadly aging gut).

After introductions and company background, James launched into a safety lecture as a prerequisite to our first time on the range. We were pleased to learn that no students had ever received firearms injuries at a Tactical Response class. Interestingly, at the few other training facilities where students had received firearms injuries, none had been shot by another student. All were self-inflicted, in the derrierre, leg, or off-hand.

The four rules of gun handling were covered –
    1) The finger stays off the trigger until sights are aligned with the target
    2) Never let the muzzle cross anything you are not willing to destroy
    3) Treat ALL guns all the time as if they are loaded
    4) Be sure of your target, and what is beyond it.

Other range rules are good for all ranges:
    - Do not attempt to catch a dropped gun. Let it fall!
    - If hot brass goes to an uncomfortable place, continue the drill. Don’t start dancing, etc. Consider it realistic training for staying in a gunfight after receiving fire.

I liked how “everyone on the range is a safety officer” and has the responsibility to shout “Cease Fire!!,” which if you hear, are to repeat, and of course, cease the drill immediately. Regardless of various anecdotes that float around the web, this hot range is safety first, all the time.

-- Saturday afternoon – Finally, The Range –

Oh my word, the HEAT! Nashville had Country Music Awards that weekend, and over 40 people had been hospitalized. Warnings were given to all students to stay hydrated and also to use electrolyte replacement. I had located a sugar-free drink which would work for me. We were also instructed immediately upon arrival at the range, to use sunscreen.

A few final safety reminders and warnings, and then Jay began the training drills. We practiced drawing the weapon in four discrete steps. This was the first formal training I have had on drawing, and it will stay with me for life. Particular emphasis was given to using off-hand to pull the garment, revealing the weapon to the drawing hand, and getting a proper grip before the gun is removed. Also in step one (getting the grip) we were to always MOVE our feet and shout “STOP!!” Then, getting the off hand out of the way, to the pectoral, and aiming the pistol up while pressing the grip to the rib cage. Then we added the support hand to the grip, and finally practiced extending or presenting the weapon, and getting sight picture and alignment.

Finally we began shooting the targets, a training target known as DEA Dots. This arrangement of six dots in a domino pattern was useful for many assorted drills. We were given various combinations of how many shots to which numbered dot, in which order.

I’d like to go on, but my story cuts short here. In two hours or less, I was finding it difficult to breathe. I began panting like a puppy, and found it increasingly difficult to process the instructor’s directions. Several time I felt close to blacking out. Finally I spoke up, and was sent to my vehicle to cool off in the A/C.

Several of the range officers checked on me, as did a fellow student who is an ER physician. After a half hour or so, I decided to try and rejoin the class. I put my hat, goggles and muffs back on, and got out of the truck to strap on my Camelbak. Unfortunately I was panting again before I could fasten the straps. I got back in the truck, and the A/C, until lunch arrived.

As I mentioned before, the lunch was wonderful. Standing outside the truck again, I went to speak with Jay about continuing. He did not try to convince me either way, and since I knew it was not getting any cooler, I made a decision to drop out of the class I had wanted for so long. I dearly regretted missing out on the MindSet Lecture, which so many have said is worth more than the price of the course. Before I mentioned it, Jay invited me to show up for the lecture first thing in the morning, packing loaded and having read the homework in the syllabus, which I agreed to do.

Back at my hotel for the rest of the day, I recovered slowly. I felt like I had run a marathon, maybe worse, but was glad I stopped before I blacked out. It wasn’t the worst day of my life, but ranked in the top 3. It was good to train under stress, but in the end it was just that - training, and I made my choice not to endanger other students, or to hold the class back. I still greatly appreciated that Tactical Response puts safety and health first.

Sunday morning, as invited by Jay, I arrived early for the mindset lecture, and chatted with a few other students. All of them showed concern for my health. A change in schedule was announced, that the class would do the range portion of the course in the cooler morning, and then the mindset lecture would come later. That was an excellent move, considerate for the health of the remaining students. For me, however, it meant that I would miss the mindset lecture, since I had a nine-hour drive ahead. Nonetheless I am grateful to James, Jay, and the other staff for providing what must be the world’s best firearms training opportunity. I look forward to retaking the class as soon as I can financially do so.

MAGNUM FORCE:
    Hal Holbrook: “In 23 years I’ve never drawn my weapon.”
    Clint Eastwood: “You’re a good man, Lieutenant. A good man knows his limitations.”

I learned my own limitations this weekend. More important, I took some important steps to becoming a trained, responsible, armed citizen. I’ll do it again.

TERMINATOR (Yeah, Arnold): “I’ll be back.”

MikeHinds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    After I posted my review, James Yeager posted the following:

>>> MikeH2 - We would like you to come back when it is cooler and retake the entire class. Consider yourself having a full credit.

After contacting him I arranged to retake the class when it comes to Seymour, Indiana in September 2010. I posted the following on Tactical Response's blog:

>>>Thank you, James.

Be it known that James has made it possible for me to retake the class as Mobile when it comes to Seymour, IN in late September (3-hour drive instead of 9-hour drive). Weather will certainly be cooler than the 106 James mentioned above.

Counting down the days, AGAIN!

- Mike

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Good on you for giving it a try and getting ready for Seymour. To many people talk about training, and more would prefer to by a shiny new gun instead of spending the time and money to prepare themselves for the fight. I really appreciate your dedication Mike.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Great review and :+1:for training. Getting out there and doing it is much different than reading or talking about it. Also, way to go on the knowing your limitations piece as well. Too many people don't understand that, and end up hurting themselves. Do what you can, and train intermediately to be better than the last time. Lastly...way to stick with it. I will look forward to another review after Seymour!!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    That is great to hear Mike. Here is hoping you can get out and practice some drills around what you did learn, so that you can soak up even more in September.

MikeHinds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. Anybody know...
    1) Where I can buy DEA Dots targets?
    2) A decent place to shoot near South Bend? Sucks to have to drive to another county :-(

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Good post. I'm looking at taking their pistol class, but right now it looks like I'll be waiting until November or January.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    The summer heat is brutal when you are on the range all day. Take the class in the spring or fall and you'll have a much easier time. Use the months between now and then to get in better shape and it will be easier still.

Hopefully the taste you got was enough to get you to come back and finish the class. It sure sounds like you are motivated.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. Anybody know...
    1) Where I can buy DEA Dots targets?
    2) A decent place to shoot near South Bend? Sucks to have to drive to another county :-(

Unless you join the FOP and can use the range on 23, the closest places are Midwest in Elkhart and Class 3 in New Carlisle.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I did one of their 5 day courses in July a few years ago in Camden. The only time I've sweated completely THROUGH my body armor, not AROUND it. I got a little dizzy one day but found the right combination of food and fluids to help me get through.

It's just my opinion but I've been through my fair share of training and I firmly believe Tactical Response is the best thing out there. I encourage you to take Shay's advice and to make sure you go back.

MikeHinds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    South Bend
    I did one of their 5 day courses in July a few years ago in Camden. The only time I've sweated completely THROUGH my body armor, not AROUND it. I got a little dizzy one day but found the right combination of food and fluids to help me get through.

It's just my opinion but I've been through my fair share of training and I firmly believe Tactical Response is the best thing out there. I encourage you to take Shay's advice and to make sure you go back.

The hook is firmly set. I am scheduled for September in Seymour, and have arranged the time off with work. I'm in full agreement that they may be the best thing out there, although I'm happy to learn from this board about the existence of Mindset Labs that is so much closer to South Bend.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I attended Fighting Pistol class in May at Camden and thought it was a great. It is even more impressive to see James give you another chance. It will be easier this fall for sure. Remember you don't necessarily need a range to practice, dry fire but do it safely.
    I will be going back to Tactical Response later in the year.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This does not surprise me about James and his crew, as they are stand-up guys through and through. I live in Seymour and took Fighting/Advanced Fighting Pistol a couple of years ago and will swing by again this fall just to say hi. Tactical Response is a great group and you definately get your money's worth.

Top Bottom