• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDWoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Sorry if I post this in the wrong forum. This is my first post here.

After talking with my boss, he is considering naming me as a firearms instructor for our department (Community Corrections). The majority of our time is spent as house arrest monitors. As field officers, we are issued firearms and it required that we carry them on all home visits we do. When I pointed out the possible liability involved with carrying firearms and having little to no training on the books, he came up with the idea of having me become an instructor.

He wants me to give him a list of possible tactical instructor classes to take next year.

I've trained with Tactical Response and loved it. Their Tactical Instructor class is first on my list, but I need one or two more options to send the boss.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good instructor type class?

Thanks,

JD

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    DTI - John & Vicki Farnam do an excellent 3-day instructor class.

Rob Pincus does an instructor class. I don't know the duration.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Yeah, John generally asks those attending his Instructors Course to have completed his Basic and Advanced handgun, as well as his Rifle course.

However, if you've been to TR, they are actually hosting John for an Instructors Course January 16 and 17, you might qualify to attend that.

And not that it's much of an additional selling point, but I'll be at the January Course assisting John. So, in a way, you'll be getting three schools at once.

tyr1toby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I would ask and make sure that they are a Indiana LETB certified instructor. If your com corrections is like ours in this county they are a division of the DOC and I would think the state would want that backing. That being said will this be your first instructor level class? If so you may want to get a basic instruction class under your belt before tactical instruction. Remember the level of people that you are dealing with and the fact that you will probably have to hold classes to build basic skills before you have them engaging in real tactics. I have dealt with that in several of the departments that wanted tactical classes in both Indiana and Michigan. The wanted tactical classes for their patrol officers when what they needed was fundamentals first. We are holding some basic instructor classes in the beginning of next year and our instructors are LETB certified. Go with what you feel best but if you have any questions on setting up any of your training please feel free to PM and Ill share what I know. When it comes to LE Im not out for the dollar so im always willing to help.

JDWoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Lots of help.

While this will be my first firearms instructor class. I have been an instructor in other fields. I was an instructor in the fire service and I'm still an IDACS MDT Instructor.

As far as the LETB goes, that's something I'll have to discuss with our director. He is trying to get our advisory board to approve our updated training policy now. I'll mention this to him.

I submitted courses and course descriptions from the NRA, Tactical Response, DTI, and Front Sight.

I'm at the "hurry up and wait" stage now.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom