• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Tactical AKM-Calvin Lim

This is a course review for Tactical AKM with Calvin Lim. This course was from 6/25/2017-6/26/2017 in Marion, IL. Gear used during this course was a Rifle Dynamics AK-47, Magpul AK magazines, Glock 19, and SOE single point sling. I used approximately 200 rounds of handgun ammunition and 1,200 rounds of rifle ammunition.

While the name of this course implies that it is somehow an AK specific course, in reality this was a rifle course. This wasn’t just a rifle course that teaches how to put holes in your paper target, but a course that truly teaches you how to fight with a rifle. From the start of day one, the emphasis was on fighting.

As I look back on my notes, the amount of information that was taught in just two days was staggering. Day one alone was over 12 hours of instruction, including a night shoot. It became very apparent from the beginning that Calvin had an immense amount of rifle knowledge that he wanted to show his students. Calvin wouldn’t just simply answer a question, but if it were possible he would demonstrate the answer. Even though there was close to 24 hours of training in two days, it never felt boring or tiresome. That is the mark of a good instructor. To say I felt like I got my money worth from this class would be an understatement.

Some people have said before that rifle training for civilians has no purpose because most people don’t carry rifles with them at the mall or to the grocery store. Those people have never taken a rifle class from Calvin Lim. Calvin not only drove home the point of how important a rifle is during a gunfight, but then showed you how to effectively use it. One thing I appreciated during this course was Calvin’s reluctance to talk about gear when it wasn’t absolutely necessary. Anyone who has trained with Calvin Lim before knows that the extent of his gear discussions is limited to a “yes” or “no” answer on if a piece of gear works.

I would highly recommend not only this course, but I would tell anyone to train with Calvin Lim any chance you get. His teaching methods are very effective and his humor keeps the class flowing. Most of all, Calvin Lim is one of the hardest working instructors that I have trained with. I have been to courses that end the day at 3pm or even sooner. Not only was this course a good “value” it really teaches you how to fight with your rifle. Take this course.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have been reading your AAR'S with great interest. Not much commenting because I don't have anything to add. I do have a question though. How are you deciding which classes to take? Do you have some kind of plan? I notice you are going to relatively unknown instructors. Is this by happenstance or design? There was a time when I just took any class I could get to, I don't regret it, but I have become much more selective. There is no criticism with any of this. I am just interested in your thoughts process.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I have been reading your AAR'S with great interest. Not much commenting because I don't have anything to add. I do have a question though. How are you deciding which classes to take? Do you have some kind of plan? I notice you are going to relatively unknown instructors. Is this by happenstance or design? There was a time when I just took any class I could get to, I don't regret it, but I have become much more selective. There is no criticism with any of this. I am just interested in your thoughts process.

Most of the instructors I go to are by word of mouth from other instructors that I respect. These might be relatively unknown instructors to some people, but I can assure you that inside of the gun culture training community-these people are well known. As far as the subject matter of the classes...that kind of depends. When I started out taking classes in 2012, I just wanted to learn how to fight with a pistol. Once I took a few classes, I realized I needed to learn how to run a rifle. Then medical. Then Force on Force. Then shotgun classes. Now I have been taking a lot of combatives classes. Vehicle tactics classes and long range rifle will be some of the next subject matter I look into. As well as taking some instructor classes.

The more I take training classes, the more I realize how much I dont know about a particular subject. I guess that's what keeps driving me to learn more.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the AAR, I didn't know Calvin was out doing his own thing. I really like Calvin, he's a good teacher. He is motivated and organized.

X2
    I knew he was in and out down in TN last time I was there, but I also was unaware he was doing his own thing at least with training.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Most of the instructors I go to are by word of mouth from other instructors that I respect. These might be relatively unknown instructors to some people, but I can assure you that inside of the gun culture training community-these people are well known. As far as the subject matter of the classes...that kind of depends. When I started out taking classes in 2012, I just wanted to learn how to fight with a pistol. Once I took a few classes, I realized I needed to learn how to run a rifle. Then medical. Then Force on Force. Then shotgun classes. Now I have been taking a lot of combatives classes. Vehicle tactics classes and long range rifle will be some of the next subject matter I look into. As well as taking some instructor classes.

The more I take training classes, the more I realize how much I dont know about a particular subject. I guess that's what keeps driving me to learn more.

Thanks for the response. Just interested in how other people who actually attend classes think.

As to the part in bold, I have attended a class or two, but there are definitely going to be some people I am not aware of. The training industry though still quite small as compared to the whole of the gun industry has exploded in the last 10 years. I read somewhere* that Karl Rehn recently did a study and determined that about 1% of gun owners have taken any formal training beyond what is legally required to carry a gun for self protection or to hunt. So even if I would think that anyone who carries a gun for self defense would know who say Tom Givens is, I would be sorely mistaken.

* http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/five-reasons-firearms-training-fails/

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the response. Just interested in how other people who actually attend classes think.

As to the part in bold, I have attended a class or two, but there are definitely going to be some people I am not aware of. The training industry though still quite small as compared to the whole of the gun industry has exploded in the last 10 years. I read somewhere* that Karl Rehn recently did a study and determined that about 1% of gun owners have taken any formal training beyond what is legally required to carry a gun for self protection or to hunt. So even if I would think that anyone who carries a gun for self defense would know who say Tom Givens is, I would be sorely mistaken.

* http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/five-reasons-firearms-training-fails/

Pretty sure you have a good insight into the training community. There will always be people with whom we are not familiar; it's unfortunate when people have an emotional reaction when we don't know the person with whom they train. I always smile when I see a list of names that I know, then one that is obvious that is not as well known, as if we're supposed to know them. Some of my friends who are trainers do it on their blogs. It's like on the old Star Trek show when they would list "Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Gradelfulocamaramashuxtek of Regula 17, George Washington . . ."

Karl Rehn is a good example. Most people here have no idea who he is, but he was instrumental in promoting force on force training for non-police/military people and the use of airsoft replicas in that training. My first force on force class was with him. He's a good little shooter too (USPSA GM).

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    "Never a Victim", I'm to lazy to read your other AAR's, have you trained at Tactical Response or Mindset Lab? If not, do you mind sharing who recommended Calvin?

I'm asking because I am interested in knowing who else endorses Calvin's approach.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    "Never a Victim", I'm to lazy to read your other AAR's, have you trained at Tactical Response or Mindset Lab? If not, do you mind sharing who recommended Calvin?

I'm asking because I am interested in knowing who else endorses Calvin's approach.

I took a class with Garry Marr and Calvin was there helping out. It appears the Tac Response crowd is branching out.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County

I first met Calvin when he was an instructor for Tactical Response. I have trained with Tactical Response and Mindset Labs.

Top Bottom