• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Looking into a suppressor for 22 LR shooting. I don't have a buncha cash to finance this thing so I was looking into the tac 65 from tactical innovations. Anyone own one?
    Basically, I'm looking for advice on a good 22lr can. It won't be on any teeny weeny semiautos( walther p22 or sig mosquito) It'll be on a 10/22,or bull barrel Mk 2 and 22/45 so the size of the can( obscuring the sights) isn't all that important to me.
    Just looking for some feedback on the TI cans .

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The TAC-65 is longer and heavier than the OBII, but is less expensive and can be disassembled for cleaning. I shot my Outback (the original) side-by-side with a friend's TAC-65 at a class a few years ago, and sound reduction was pretty much even, according to witnesses.

I am partial to Gemtech products, due in no small part to their excellent customer service and stand-up behavior, but I'm sure the TAC would serve you equally well.

Might be "flip a coin" time...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a TAC65 that I've been very pleased with. You might check to see if Britton at 21st Century Firearms is still selling them to INGO members at ~$200. That's one hell of a good deal.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    I have a Gemtech Outback II suppressor that I have used for about a year and really like it. It costs $325 and I understand the Tac 65 is cheaper. The Gemtech is facory sealed and they said if you ever need to service or clean it, return it to them. Now, here's where I stray from most people on suppressors. I understand that suppressors are actually more efficient when they're dirty and have soot in them. Not to the point where the baffles are full, just sooty. If this is the case, why would you want to disassemle your can after every shooting session and clean it? Gemtech says to use an air hose and blow the extra carbon out if it bothers you. Sorry to ramble on about cleaning suppressors, but I have two that never get cleaned and they are very quiet. ;)

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have no time on the Tac65 but my buddy and I shoot together and I have my OBII on a Tactical Solutions upper with a MKII 22/45 frame.He has the Tac 65 on a MKII bull barrel.The sound reduction is very similar.I agree that the deal that Britton was sponsoring for us was a very generous offer! He gets major creds for that!! :rockwoot:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I do appreciate the INGO member consideration Britton. But its a 4 1/2 hour drive to your place and I can get one for $215 in Seymour( Acme) an hour away. Thanks folks, I'm gonna sell a revolver and get going on the tac65.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I do appreciate the INGO member consideration Britton. But its a 4 1/2 hour drive to your place and I can get one for $215 in Seymour( Acme) an hour away.

Can't argue with that logic! Acme's good people, too; INGO member buckfever34 works there, and a couple of our resident NFA studs are regular customers. You will be taken care of.

I'm gonna sell a revolver and get going on the tac65.

Another one bites the dust... :yesway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    FWIW, here's a video with VUPDBlue and I shooting a pair of P22's, one with a Gemtech Outback II (foreground) and one with a Tac65 (background) to compare the sound.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-QEBaVAvco"]YouTube - Dueling Suppressors[/ame]

I love the videos! Scutter, I could hardly tell a difference via video in the P22 silencers. What was it like being there? Was there any noticeable difference between the Tac65 and Gemtech?

This is an important question that comes up here frequently: Which suppressor is better, the Tac65 or the Gemtech. That's why we did the test side-by-side. I think the conclusion and general consensus is that they both suppress equally well, meaning that the decibel reduction is about the same. The "tone" is slightly different between the two cans (and you can kind of pick that up in the video if you listen for it), but other than that, the choice of buying one over the other will come down to personal preference and the company that produces it. I can tell you that the Tac65 on a CZ452 American was exactly as silent as advertised. I literally could not hear anything but the click of the firing pin, and that's not an exaggeration.

For me, I like the fact that you can take the Tac65 apart. However, Gemtech will allegedly clean and repair theirs for you (for free?) if you return it. The Tac65 is also slightly cheaper (actually, a LOT cheaper if you take advantage of Britton's sale price).

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Great video, thanks for posting it!

I will hopefully be posting one with the Tac65 on my Sig mosquito, looks like...ummm...January :rolleyes:

I'll just go back to 21st and buy my thread adapter and a threaded barrel for the 10/22. Maybe while I'm there they'll get it out of the safe for me and let me stroke it just a little?

nalees

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    i'm still drooling over these as well, but it's just not in the budget right now! if only someone would buy my home theatre system... well then the situation may be different!

Top Bottom