• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RickRocha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Porter
    Yes, I am a bit behind on the folding stock adapter craze, but am looking into one for an HD build.

I have been researching both Sylvan Arms' new SA5 Pro and the Law Tactical 3-M.

From what I have seen, the SA5 Pro is the first steel folding adapter offered by Sylvan Arms and closes the gap between it and the Law Tactical adapter.

Do any of you have either of these AR-15 folding stock adapters and if so, what are your thoughts?

RickRocha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Porter
    Thanks for the feedback. I can pick up a blemished SA5 Pro for $143 shipped right now. The cheapest Law Tactical I can find is $219 before tax and shipping. It was a lot easier to justify the $100 difference when the SA folding adapter was aluminum but now that is is also made of the same steel it may just come down to weight, QD placement and aesthetics.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I keep getting ads for Aimaculate, they are basically offering 4 for $180. Can't imagine these are high quality and will hold up but does anyone have experience with them?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240807_124924_Chrome.jpg
      SmartSelect_20240807_124924_Chrome.jpg
      451.8 KB · Views: 3
    • SmartSelect_20240807_124955_Chrome.jpg
      SmartSelect_20240807_124955_Chrome.jpg
      879 KB · Views: 3

RickRocha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Porter
    I keep getting ads for Aimaculate, they are basically offering 4 for $180. Can't imagine these are high quality and will hold up but does anyone have experience with them?
    I stopped looking at their offering after a short review search. Bad reviews and claims of fraudulent advertising. Here is a review of one:

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Yes, I am a bit behind on the folding stock adapter craze, but am looking into one for an HD build.

I have been researching both Sylvan Arms' new SA5 Pro and the Law Tactical 3-M.

From what I have seen, the SA5 Pro is the first steel folding adapter offered by Sylvan Arms and closes the gap between it and the Law Tactical adapter.

Do any of you have either of these AR-15 folding stock adapters and if so, what are your thoughts?
    I have a Sylvan Arms adaptor, rotting away in my parts drawer. Don't recall which model it is. Contact me if you wish.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Law 3-M. I sat on the sidelines until Law made the 3-M improvements, when I was convinced they got it right. It's very well designed for function and durability. Had it for several years. Useful as I see it in two roles. Folding a braced pistol or SBR down to a minimum storage size which also fits inside most backpacks. And knocking the length off a couple of accurate scoped 16" uppers so they easily lash on the side of a pack and fold into a smaller, more discrete case without separating upper and lower.

Another bonus with the folder. It's actually quicker into action than grabbing a fully collapsed AR and extending the stock. When it's folded back along the side of the rifle it does not matter how far the stock is extended, so extend it to preferred length and when you swing it into firing position your length is already set (Law uses a manual latch to unlock, but locks into place just by swinging it closed).

The negative is the added weight, which I notice more than I would have expected. And the bolt carrier extension adds weight to your bolt carrier group. It's not caused functionality problems for me, but it does reset your confidence in a given upper + buffer. BCG mass and buffer mass do not behave exactly the same, but I do still go with the lighter buffer option in each case, standard CAR versus H with 16" barrels, H and not H2 with short barrels.

Note that you are unable to insert that bolt carrier extension in 9mm bolt carriers with added weight that blocks the interior diameter at the back of the bolt carrier. KAK does make a heavier longer extension, that brings up the weight of a standard bolt carrier that is open in back (but that's still incompatible with my 9mm BCG and I'm not rocking that boat after I finally got that upper running 100% with JHP).

I think this is one of those cases where the less expensive products are lesser products. You'll probably only ever buy 1 or 2 of these, so do the math on the price difference. It's not that much money to secure the most functional and durable product choice.

icebergwtq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    La Porte, IN
    I just now pulled the trigger on a blem Sylvan Arms SA5 Pro adapter. On a direct comparison I didn't see much difference between the two. And what with the new customer discount, my total ended up being $127 to my front door, saving me about $130.

Also, Law Tactical seemed to be somewhat dishonest in the opening sentence of its descriptions: "The first and only folding stock adapter compatible with AR platform rifles."

It was probably the first, but it certainly does not remain "the only," which it is implying.

I'll post again when everything gets here and the build is done.

Last edited:

RickRocha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Porter
    I just now pulled the trigger on a blem Sylvan Arms SA5 Pro adapter. On a direct comparison I didn't see much difference between the two. And what with the new customer discount, my total ended up being $127 to my front door, saving me about $130.

Also, Law Tactical seemed to be somewhat dishonest in the opening sentence of its descriptions: "The first and only folding stock adapter compatible with AR platform rifles."

It was probably the first, but it certainly does not remain "the only," which it is implying.

I'll post again when everything gets here and the build is done.
    I went with the Blemished SA Pro a couple days after I started the post. Looks like I might have saved a few bucks had I waited it out. It came in last week, however I have not had a chance to install it. I plan on putting it on this afternoon and will update with pics and description. Right off the bat, the product seems very sturdy and I have yet to find the blemish.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like my LAW folder, but the gun has a specific purpose: Portable

It’s on an 11.5” mid length Centurion AMTAC. I’ve got the short BCM grip, BCM vert grip, and a 20 round PMAG. The gun lives in a Sentinal Concepts Tuff Products bag. The gun fits in it well, and the bag doesn’t scream tactical. It’s my rig for travel, and low profile stuff.

The gun is a compromise though. Ballistics with an 11.5” SBR are kind of meh (but can be somewhat overcome with appropriate ammo). And I found out the hard way that the gun is really loud with a can, because of the folder. It’s not a substitute for a 16” barrel, but works well in a niche roll.

I don’t have anytime on the other folders. I get that the LAW folder is expensive, but has a pretty vetted history and a really crucial element of the function of the rifle. I’d hate to have an adapter come apart and deal with eating the BCG or the gun become unreliable. I have several friends that have carried the LAW folders on their rifles professionally, and yet to hear of an issue with really hard use.

Top Bottom