• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    87%.

Water rationing is correct. The best place to store water is in you.

One that I got wrong I would argue though. That is eating snow. Snow can plummet internal body temperature quickly and you should not have gotten so hot that you need to lower your internal temperature if you are already in a cold snowy location. And if you are in this condition, you better build the fire first and start drying out!

And another one I got wrong though I will accept that it can go either way and that is the build shelter first answer.

Starting a fire first does more than provide warmth. It has strong a psychological effect on someone who is lost. It calms them down and helps them to think more clearly. Shelter is second.

It can be argued that shelter should come first so it's not a deal breaker or a point of argument with me. If you want shelter first, then do it. I'll build a fire.

Just my opinion. I was not military trained but I did teach survival and it was mostly based on Tom Brown's methods. And I have been in a somewhat survival situation during my lifetime.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have to disagree with the 'what would you do first' question. My answer was based on the truth that you always need water. Prior to looking at the answers, there was no indication that the author based his correct answers on being lost in Tierra del Fuego. If you are someplace colder than a well digger's ass, sure, see to shelter first. In a more pleasant climate, I will still make water the first priority.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to disagree with the 'what would you do first' question. My answer was based on the truth that you always need water. Prior to looking at the answers, there was no indication that the author based his correct answers on being lost in Tierra del Fuego. If you are someplace colder than a well digger's ass, sure, see to shelter first. In a more pleasant climate, I will still make water the first priority.

I don't like those del Fuegos. They were beating up on John Travolta and William H. Macy!

I may have misunderstood the water question. I took it as he was asking whether to drink the water or keep it in your canteen and ration it out to yourself.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Re-reading the water question helps me to understand. It says"always ration your water" The word "always" in the sentence should have given it away. Shame on me!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    missed one. I disagree with the shelter question, water is more essential than a shelter. I can't live without water, I can live without shelter; maybe not comfortably, but I can at least survive a day or two without it.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    ummm....if its not freezing cold out, and you can call for help(or pizza), why wouldnt you do that, then consider building your shelter?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Missed the boiling water question and the eating snow question.

Water at altitude: I know it's different at different altitudes, heat it til it boils.

Eating snow: Eating snow in a survival situation because you are trying to fine tune your core temp strikes me as something that could get horribly out of hand.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Some of these questions are just silly and circumstantial. for example: IF I don't have a phone to call for help, and IF the weather is terrible, I may consider building shelter before finding water, because if there isn't any water around, and I don't find that out until after I exert myself by building a shelter, I am going to have to leave my shelter to go (who knows how far) to find water anyway!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    #6 is an interesting one. The classic advice is to not ration. However, there is some recent thinking on this that favors spreading it out a little. Don't know that I'll remember to look up the reference, but I believe I saw it in Les Stroud's book, Survive.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    10/12, missed the 2 that are probably the most commonly missed and arguable/situation dependent given the previous posts.

I was taught in SERE school (Survive Evade Resist Escape) while in the Marines: "Never eat snow, always (at least) melt it first". Unless they've changed what they're teaching that's from the military survival school. From practical application I can agree. As stated above, trying to micromanage your core temp while exerting yourself is just wrong on so many levels. How about you take off a layer or 2 so you DONT sweat, I just amazed myself.

Shelter/water/fire first, it really depends on where you are and how you/your party is feeling. Lost in the woods where Twilight was filmed? Probably water or Fire first. The fiery depths of Mor Dor without Frodo? You might want some water, shelter if you got the Naz Gul's on your tail. Thirsty? Cold? Raining? All of the above? Well pick one and get to it. You can bury yourself in a giant pile of leaves and it'd be waterproof and warm. As stated before, you can't live long without water.

It's a decent quiz but I'd like one where the answers aren't so obvious. How about showing pictures of various plants and say "Pick the 3 edible plants of the 6 shown", or "Select the best source of water" showing a creek near an industrial farm, stagnant pond, slow moving stream; or how about "Select the easiest shelter to construct, the sturdiest, and the warmest". I think people would really benefit from questions like those, especially the people who are looking at quiz's like these anyhow ;)

Hell, even throw in some questions about traps and skinning! Just tired of all the quiz's and shows focusing on 'getting back to civilization', how bout 'getting back to your primal roots' and thriving not surviving in the wild!

My :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents: on the matter :)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    87%.

Water rationing is correct. The best place to store water is in you.

One that I got wrong I would argue though. That is eating snow. Snow can plummet internal body temperature quickly and you should not have gotten so hot that you need to lower your internal temperature if you are already in a cold snowy location. And if you are in this condition, you better build the fire first and start drying out!

And another one I got wrong though I will accept that it can go either way and that is the build shelter first answer.

Starting a fire first does more than provide warmth. It has strong a psychological effect on someone who is lost. It calms them down and helps them to think more clearly. Shelter is second.

It can be argued that shelter should come first so it's not a deal breaker or a point of argument with me. If you want shelter first, then do it. I'll build a fire.

Just my opinion. I was not military trained but I did teach survival and it was mostly based on Tom Brown's methods. And I have been in a somewhat survival situation during my lifetime.

I could argue that the first thing to do when you find out you are lost is to take a nap: it beats racing around in a panic. Another "first thing" is to carefully survey your surroundings and determine whether or not to move to another location or to stay put. Building a fire, besides providing warmth and giving you something to do other than panic at your situation, also provides a signal to potential searchers. IF it doesn't make sense to improve your position and IF you aren't ready or don't need a fire at the moment AND IF you plan to remain in place, THEN it's a good idea to start building a shelter and planning for that fire.

I missed the insulation question because the choice "fleece" means modern synthetic fleece rather than lambswool fleece. While wool is a proven insulator, even when wet, synthetic fleece retains less water than wool and is more efficient at wicking moisture away from the skin.

I also missed the boiling temperature differential at altitude and the water boil time true/false.

I'm gonna die in them there woods. . . .

Top Bottom