• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread sharing good Android survival apps. (Ok, someone can list Iphone apps, too, but I don't have an Iphone.)

Here's a few to start us off:

Scanner Radio You can get NOAA weather stations with this, too.

Unit Converter

MorseCode Very cool. Just text in the message and it will flash and beep it in morse code. Now I just need one that translates it when receiving messages.

SOS From the Red Cross. Interesting information in this one. You can also use it to donate to the Red Cross.

Healthmap Tracks outbreaks near you. You can report them, too. Probably not good if you are a hypo.

Translate You can use voice recognition and have it translate what you say into other languages.

RadarNow I use this one all the time. Also provides severe weather alerts to your phone.

Ok, there's the starter list. Let's have more!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Of course these will only work as long as the battery lasts. And in a survival/SHTF scenario your not gauranteed to have access to a power supply. Also "Smartphones" tend to be rather fragile.

I would rather learn how to read maps and use a compass (which I already know, but it wouldnt hurt to brush up) and not rely on electronics so much.

It is pretty cool that they have apps like that but how usefull it will be for how long is debateable.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Now that I'm thinking about it, I've used RadarNow in the middle of tornado warnings, and I used Scanner Radio to listen to HAM radio operators during a really bad storm awhile back, so maybe it isn't all for entertainment. You use what works, and if it doesn't, you move on to something else.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear about more apps that people have that are fun, interesting, and useful. Post them up!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Now that I'm thinking about it, I've used RadarNow in the middle of tornado warnings, and I used Scanner Radio to listen to HAM radio operators during a really bad storm awhile back, so maybe it isn't all for entertainment. You use what works, and if it doesn't, you move on to something else.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear about more apps that people have that are fun, interesting, and useful. Post them up!

I've used Scanner Radio during severe storms and usually when I hear sirens fairly close by. It has helped with a better idea of when storms may be hitting and it has also let me reroute when there were some fairly big structure fires.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Have a look at the permissions the apps are asking for next time you install or update. Many of them are asking to turn on the microphone or camera at will without your knowledge. Major opportunity for hackers or ?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Being server based, how many of these apps will even function in a wide scale event? Is there a police scanner app or is that the "scanner radio" app? Additionally, would using the police scanner app in a motor vehicle be illegal?

ETA, I would like to find a tri-corder app, there is NOTHING those devices can't do!

Gate Hound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    love the scanner radio, forgot it has the weather also. thanks. I also had no idea about the other ones. Thanks.

I love the free compasses available and the flashlight apps. Have my favs on these two if interested.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If the app is not server based, then it could work indefinitely by just buying a crank radio with a USB port, which most new ones have. You can keep your phone charged just by plugging it into the radio.

Top Bottom