• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking to get a gun for the lady this week. I've got my eyes on a Walther PK380, because I've heard great things about the recoil and ease of racking the slide. Obviously, the lack of slide-release is a bit of a turn-off... but it's certainly in the price range. Magazines are expensive and hard to find, and the ammo isn't my favorite.

I understand she should handle a number of them and find one she likes, but this is going to be a surprise, and because of that, it won't be possible. Obviously, if I get something and she ends up not liking it, I'll take it off her hands and we'll go find something more appropriate... but with the knowledge I have, I think I can at least come close to finding one she likes.

Can you offer any suggestions other than the PK380? I want to keep it in the ~$400 range, not much higher. A 9mm would be preferred if not 380. Ease of racking the slide and managable recoil are plusses.

Notes: She's not what we'd call a "gun person", but lately she has shown interest in my gun purchases. Yesterday, she even said "If I ever have one, it will not be pink." She mentioned that she would want something that she could rack easily... but she's comparing that to my Colt 1911 and USP40, which take a bit of strength.

She's never fired a gun before, but she's interested.

New or used, no preference. Bradis is holding onto a Walther for me to get on Friday if I don't find something different before
    then.

All help appreciated!

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I think you're putting the cart before the mule here.

Take her shooting find out what she can handle before you go buying guns for her.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Get her a gift card and let her go pick one out. I know it's always nice to hand her the item, but that way she has the benefit of one of the fine salespeople at Bradis talking her through the sales process. You might find something through the interaction that suits her better and is more affordable to shoot? :twocents:

Good call getting her a gun though. Does she have an LTCH? If not, you could make that part of the package.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Get her a gift card and let her go pick one out. I know it's always nice to hand her the item, but that way she has the benefit of one of the fine salespeople at Bradis talking her through the sales process. You might find something through the interaction that suits her better and is more affordable to shoot? :twocents:

Good call getting her a gun though. Does she have an LTCH? If not, you could make that part of the package.

She doesn't have a license, and I don't think she's at the point of carrying right now. I'll get her there, though... :)

Taking her out to a shop isn't going to help with what feels good to shoot, though? She may be able to hold stuff, but she's not going to know the little nuances of what she's holding. She wouldn't know that Walther's require a key to disassemble, or how different triggers operate, etc...

I guess I could make a cute little gun gift card... but I figured actually having one to give her would be nicer... (no worries, I'm still going to do normal anniversary things like dinner and whatnot.. did I mention this was an anniversary gift? o.o )

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Congratulations. It's always good to hear another female wants to learn how to handle a firearm. From personal experience, don't bring a gun to her. Both of you go and shop for a firearm together. Go to Bradis (+1 for Bradis) together and let her handle many weapons before you put down cash on one. A weapon is a personal choice, just like a handbag, shoes, etc. I didn't want anyone to choose a gun for me, I wanted to try them out myself to see what I could handle and what was comfortable.
    You are going to get a lot different answers in this thread, but if you want her to be happy, let her make the decision. Both of you will reap the rewards. Best wishes. :)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Lesson from my step-son: GF showed all kinds of interest in shooting; he gets her a gun; it's still in the box. GF showed interest to support him (ie sink that hook in so deep he can't get away). You mileage may vary.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't know. I got my wife her PK380 for her birthday, but already knew that she liked shooting and what she liked. She had never held one before I surprised her, but she had handled my MP9 and had said she wanted something with a smaller grip and the PK380 fit the bill.

Well, if she doesn't like it you can always sell it here, but that will not get you out of her dog house if she doesn't like the gift.

BTW_ my wife loved her surprise.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Don't do it. It's an awkward platform that won't translate over to other larger and better choices.

It has the European style mag release. Mags are expensive. Ammo is expensive. Walther, for my hand, is meh on ergonomics but that is very YMWV.

Make a day of it. Take her to the 1500 or every gunshop and have her hold everything. Idiots will try to steer her towards a revolver because she's just a 'dum woman' but steer her away from dangerous Glocks because they have no safety.

If she isn't going to carry it, go bigger in the size of the gun and caliber. 9mm is inexpensive and plentiful. Also look at 20gauge shotguns for non-carry.

See if any INGOers in the area will take you, your lady and a case full of guns for her to try out.

Nice to hear someone winning one over to the good side of guns. :D

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    PK380's are awesome..About two months ago I started thinking of purchasing a firearm for concealed carry. I combed through the internet looking at reviews and videos of people's opinions. My budget was between $300-$400, so I obviously wasn't going to be purchasing a higher end handgun such as the FNP-40.

Something about the Walther PK380 just kept catching my eye. I read so many different reviews about this gun. Some people said it was amazingly reliable, and that they never had FTFs or FTEs. Others said the exact opposite. I eventually went to check one out at a local dealer. This gun actually felt pretty solid in my hands, unlike all of those tiny little .380 acp handguns that women carry in their purses. It's large enough to fit all my fingers on the grip (with the magazine that has the pinky finger extension), not to mention the grip is way more comfortable than say the Taurus PT Millennium handguns. The PK380 has a substantial weight with a loaded mag, and feels more like a 9mm or even a .40.

After purchasing the PK380, I immediately had to take it to the range So I threw 100 rounds of PMC .380 acp FMJ's in my backpack, and headed to the range. After about 20 rounds or so, I had this gun pretty much figured out. I was hitting 3-4 inch groups from about 10 yards no problem. It's accurate, and doesn't have much kick..even when rapid firing. I continued going to the range about once a week for a month, which brings us to the present date. Since then, I have completely polished my barrel and the inner slide, and it has never felt smoother. After putting about 350-400 rounds through the PK380, I could literally feel it breaking in and getting more accurate. I put a Laserlyte V3 on the picatinny rail just last week, and took it to the range yesterday. I was hitting 2 inch groups from 10 yards like it was my job.

I've put a total of about 500 rounds through this gun, and have had 2 FTE's, and 1 FTF. All three occurred prior to me polishing the firearm, and that was when I had only put about 200 rounds through it. I honestly love this gun, and I take it everywhere I go. Take-down is extremely easy, but requires a tool. I order 2 extra tools, I have one in my car and the other in my holster. Im 6 feet tall and weigh about 175lbs, so I'm pretty thin, but I have no problem concealing this gun.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    You might want to call Pops and see what they have on the rental wall to try.
    The rentals are resonable although you'll have to buy range ammo for them and you can cycle through any of thier guns in your rental period.

It's been some time since I've gone but they did have an XD subcompact, M&P 9, and Glock 26 once upon a time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    You might want to call Pops and see what they have on the rental wall to try.
    The rentals are resonable although you'll have to buy range ammo for them and you can cycle through any of thier guns in your rental period.

It's been some time since I've gone but they did have an XD subcompact, M&P 9, and Glock 26 once upon a time.
    I think I read somewhere that Atterbury rents guns, too. You might want to call them and see what they have available at the range.

Contact Information | Atterbury Shooting Complex

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    As I have done for many, if you want to shoot a variety of handguns, and are willing to drive an hour north of Indy to Grant County, (Marion)... contact me.

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think you're putting the cart before the mule here.
    I think this is something you can't ignore because of
    Notes: She's not what we'd call a "gun person",

and

She's never fired a gun before, but she's interested.

If you're dead set on making it a gift to help her get started, then get a .22. Ammo is cheap, variety is nearly limitless, and there's very little likelihood recoil aversion that will ruin it for subsequent trips.

Nobody doesn't like a .22. Even the large caliber snob authoring this post. So while it might not make it to the range every time, it will never be relegated to the back of the safe because it's not fun to shoot or she's afraid of it.

And we can't ignore the comment above where the woman expressed interest solely to please her partner. Until you are sure her interest is genuine and not dependent on your presence/existence (what if you two split and she never picks up another gun?), follow the KISS principle.

And when you've been married for years and know her interests and abilities, you can surprise her with all the different varieties that are out there. Until then, go with something with a proven track record and universal appeal.

:twocents:

P.S. If you're near Bradis and want her to have a shooting partner, let me know. I don't get out much for myself because I've got lots to keep me busy and shooting gets shoved off the stove (never mind the back burner). But if I had a purpose and some conversation to go along with it, I'd probably try to go more often. I don't have much in the way of variety as I tend to stick with the few makes I like. At least as far as handguns. But there's enough to whet her appetite.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife started out last spring with and offer from a friend similar to Jay's offer. She shot through almost half a brick of 22, and several mags and speed loaders worth of everything from a beretta .32 up to a Smith & wesson 45-5.

Fast forward to today, and she is a certifiable recoil junkie, she loves shooting her .44 mag when ever she gets a chance. She also has a browning buckmark though, and it very seldom is forgotten when she goes out to shoot.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    My wife was a die hard 38 spec. person until the Judge was released .Im only relaying this to let you know that what might work one time might not be what she wants if given a variety of different .Go out (as already mentioned) with some friends (INGO)that have a different pistols & revolvers or go to a rental range if available.There is usually an upcoming meet & shoot that most Ingo members are more than happy to let you try out

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    Don't underestimate her. Far too many people think women need a pocket gun. A 120lb woman is no different from a 120lb man when it comes to firearms, and I know a guy who lugged a 60 around the jungles of Panama at 120lbs, with a ruck full of commo equipment on top of it. Get her out there and have her shoot, find something she's comfortable with, and then get her out for some training. Remember, the lighter the gun the heavier the recoil. If she dumps 500 rounds downrange in 1 day at a course from a featherweight gun she'll feel it for sure. My mom has a Kel-Tec PF9, and I'd rather shoot a box of heavy 12g buck than 1 mag out of that thing. Look into something that will fit her hands, and go for as big of a frame as she can handle. Most people can handle a Glock 17/19 or an M&P9, and these would be my top two choices for a number of reasons.

Fundamentals are important. Safety, form, precision, and speed, in that order.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Dont know if it would help you but Cabin Fever here in scottsburg, the owner will let ya shoot any used gun he has in stock, Thats what we did when my GF wanted another gun. Just a thought if your in the area. Also might recomend a training class also, might make it a little easier on her to get started out.

Top Bottom