Suppressor... Silencer.... Whats the Dif?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You say po-TAY-toe....

Had this argument with a former FFL.

Does a suppressor quiet a weapon while being fired? Seems how it was explained in an episode of SOGs.

Someone educate me as to the difference. Btw, went through several pages without seeing this topic. If its a duplicate dont kill me.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You say po-TAY-toe....

Had this argument with a former FFL.

Does a suppressor quiet a weapon while being fired? Seems how it was explained in an episode of SOGs.

Someone educate me as to the difference. Btw, went through several pages without seeing this topic. If its a duplicate dont kill me.

I don't know the technical medical difference. I always thought silenced meant locked bolt and subsonic while suppressed referred to unlocked bolt and/or supersonic. Don't know if that is the actual definition though.

Best,

Joe

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    If Im not mistaken, and Im pretty sure Im not, "silencer" is just an incorrect term that many people use for "suppressor".

This is exactly what I have always thought. I have been corrected several times by using the word silencer. I am told that you cant silence any gun only suppress the amount of noise that is heard. There the same thing in my book, but I have learned to say suppressor.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This is exactly what I have always thought. I have been corrected several times by using the word silencer. I am told that you cant silence any gun only suppress the amount of noise that is heard. There the same thing in my book, but I have learned to say suppressor.

Did a little research and it appears that "silencer" was the name given to it by Hiram Maxim, the inventor of the first commercially viable suppressor.

While "suppressor" may be more literally accurate, I would have a hard time saying that calling it a "silencer" is incorrect.

Best,

Joe

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Did a little research and it appears that "silencer" was the name given to it by Hiram Maxim, the inventor of the first commercially viable suppressor.

While "suppressor" may be more literally accurate, I would have a hard time saying that calling it a "silencer" is incorrect.

Yep, calling it a silencer is like calling all facial tissue Kleenex.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Legally it's a silencer.
    The inventor (Maxim) called it a silencer.
    I call it a silencer.
    Nothing wrong w/ the term suppressor, but I disaprove of those who insist silencer is "wrong."

I still call it a "flash hider," too.

Beware the grammar police.

-rvb

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The "suppressor" people claim that it's not a silencer because it doesn't make the shot silent. It's a suppressor because it only suppresses the sound.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I stand corrected. If Hiram Maxim called it a silencer then I guess its a silencer. Ive just always been told "its not a silencer its a suppressor". I guess that what I get for listening to others without any knowledge of my own. But then again, thats what forums are all about. Everyone arguing over stuff someone else told them.;)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Form 4 says silencer. It's a silencer. It doesn't silence, but suppresses as mentioned. BUT by this logic, nothing is a silencer, it's not a word. Heck, if you want to talk literal and dB, silent doesn't exist on or in earth and shouldn't be a word at all.

So, it's a freaking silencer.

Top Bottom