• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I'm tossing around the idea of getting a suppressor. Is it legal to swap it to several guns or do you have to keep it with one weapon. Didn't know if it was regulated to one weapon.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    The stamp is for the supressor itself, not the suppressor and the host. So feel free to use it on any weapon that can handle it. So long as it remains in your possesion or that of a person that is listed on the NFA trust.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    How difficult is it to threat a firearm?

Not an expert here, but I would venture a guess and say that it depends on the firearm. There can be a lot variables to take into account. First and formost would be, pistol or rifle.

If pistol, is the barrel long enough to thread and have enough sticking out the front to thread the surpressor on to? Probably better to buy a threaded barrel for that purpose.

Rifle, is there a front sight post that is going to have to be moved?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    on a handgun (most handguns) a new barrel will be in order. on a rifle you can probably thread the existing barrel depending on the location of the front sight, gas block, barrel profile etc... threading a barrel is anywhere from a $75 -$200 proposition depending on the complexity and who does it. replacement threaded handgun barrels will be in that price range as well depending on how common the handgun is.

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    MY 2 cents (from experience) buy the largest caliber can you want to shoot.... they will still work on the smaller calibers fairly effectively... IE - buy a 308 and use it on 223, 22, etc...buy a 45 and use it on 40, 9mm, 22, etc... granted you can buy a 22 can that is extremely light, but I guess it depends on what you want to do....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    MY 2 cents (from experience) buy the largest caliber can you want to shoot.... they will still work on the smaller calibers fairly effectively... IE - buy a 308 and use it on 223, 22, etc...buy a 45 and use it on 40, 9mm, 22, etc... granted you can buy a 22 can that is extremely light, but I guess it depends on what you want to do....
    Just be careful that the can is rated for use on all calibers you intend to use it on. Don't buy a .45 can and use it on a .300 Win Mag... bad things may happen.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

Do your research before you buy. I think you'll find most people recommend going with at least a 2 can setup. A dedicated .22 can (dirty and user serviceability) and then another can as best fits their needs which may or may not be user serviceable depending on brand and caliber. Of course you can always just use one if you really want to. Another thing to look at is threading if you're going to use one can for everything. NFA is like heroin or some other opiate, it's bad (probably shouldn't even exist), expensive, and it can suck trying to get. When you use it though....you gonna want more.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

We've answered the question about being able to put the silencer on any firearm legally, but I think you need to be careful with the blanket advise of always buying the largest caliber available so you can put it on anything you may own.

Will a .45 can work reliably on your 9mm due to the extra weight? Will you be using it on both a fixed-barrelled application and a delayed-blowback application? Do you want the lead deposits and build up from a .22 in your sealed .308 or .45 silencer? do you want the weight of a .308 or .45 can hanging off your host? Do you want two or more .22 cans vs one .308/.45 can for the same price? LOTS of variables to consider in your decisions.

The advise to get the larger caliber is often good advise. I'm in the process for a .308 can even though I currently only plan to shoot .223 through it. Yet I own a 9mm can despite owning a couple .45s. I've never shot .22 through my 9mm because I hate to clean stuff. Yea, America!

That's why we have such a wide market to choose from, or else all you would see for sale is .45 and .308 silencers.

-rvb

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom