• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Bought a Huntertown Guardian yesterday...hopefully I can take care of all the administrative stuff today and paperwork will go out tomorrow so I can start my 5+ month wait.

I've got a Savage FV-SR and a Glock 19 with AA .22LR kit that I plan to use the suppressor with, but I'm also looking at other potential hosts sitting in my safe.

I have a Savage 93R17, and I was wondering if anybody had ever run a can on a HMR as I see the Guardian is rated for it. Sure you'll still get the supersonic crack, but simply from a noise footprint perspective does a suppressor make a big difference?

Also, anybody know of a reputable gunsmith in Southern Indiana (say, within an hour's drive of Louisville) that could thread some hosts for me? Willing to pay for quality work, but I'd rather not 1. pay through the nose and 2. be without my rifles for multiple weeks.

Thanks!

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Contact orion firearms. I know they dont do gunsmithing but I imagine with all the traffic that goes through there they know of someone or at least would have a good lead.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The can should almost eliminate all noise coming out of the end of the muzzle, but you'll be amazed how loud the sonic crack is. I don't know if there is such thing as subsonic 17, but it would be pretty pointless since speed is the main advantage to that particular round.

That said, it would still be interesting to try. Worst case scenario, you bolt rifle will become "tactical", the most over used term in the industry.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    The can should almost eliminate all noise coming out of the end of the muzzle, but you'll be amazed how loud the sonic crack is. I don't know if there is such thing as subsonic 17, but it would be pretty pointless since speed is the main advantage to that particular round.

That said, it would still be interesting to try. Worst case scenario, you bolt rifle will become [STRIKE]"tactical"[/STRIKE] tactiCOOL, the most over used term in the industry.

FTFY!

Interested in hearing the results!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's the same situation with 5.56. The suppressor can't silence the sonic crack, but does pretty much eliminate the muzzle report. While you'd be disappointed if you expected Hollywood quiet or suppression levels rivaling .22LR, it WOULD be substantially quieter. Also the crack of a .17 is quieter than the crack of 5.56.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    Most Suppressors will cut about 30db off the sound. It dulls out the Sonic crack and gives you more of a .22 cal sound. It wont sound like a pellet gun, but will make neighbors a LOT happier.

Check this out...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rjYnkUeGsk[/ame]

Top Bottom