What more is there to say?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    12ga suppessors don't work very well.

To add, for those of you that have never heard what real suppressed gunfire sounds like, it is NOT any where near what Hollyweird potrays.

Maybe one of these Sundays I will bring all my suppressors to Eagle Creek for all to hear.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To add, for those of you that have never heard what real suppressed gunfire sounds like, it is NOT any where near what Hollyweird potrays.

It needs to be though. I want a suppressor that makes that laser gun sound. pew pew pew!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    It needs to be though. I want a suppressor that makes that laser gun sound. pew pew pew!

I have a Ruger 22/45 with a Pac-lite upper that I run a Tac-innovation Stratus suppressor on that IS hollywood quiet, it sounds more like pheewwp, pheewwp.:thumbsup: Thats about as good as it gets.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I have a Ruger 22/45 with a Pac-lite upper that I run a Tac-innovation Stratus suppressor on that IS hollywood quiet, it sounds more like pheewwp, pheewwp.:thumbsup: Thats about as good as it gets.
    +1 Suppressed .22's are fun and definitely Hollywood quiet . . . wish we could have them in Illinois, the squirrel/chipmunk problem wouldn't be near the problem at our house that it is.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have found that my Walther P-22 with Tac Innovations and the Ruger 10/22 with the Gemtech are qhite nice and fun toys - the Gemtech is larger and really for a .223 so all you hear from the Ruger is the bolt slapping back and forth...need to get some buffers installed to reduce that noise...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

I was doing "ball & dummy" drills at the Freedom Appleseed. Thought the shooter was having squibs or something when it dawned on me to ask if his HBAR 10/22 had an integrated suppressor. It did.

Amazingly quiet.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Suppressed .22s rock. They are the only suppressed guns that sound "Hollywood quiet" to me. I was kind of let down by the suppressed 9mm. Quieter, yes, but not "quiet".

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

I'm a big fan of your 22/45! I only ran 10 rounds through it at the GT Get-Together, but it were fun.

If only I had an extra $500 laying around...

-J-

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    try a 45 auto suppressed...as a buddy of mine says...you can get it as quiet as a mouse fart...according to him

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    try a 45 auto suppressed...as a buddy of mine says...you can get it as quiet as a mouse fart...according to him

And he would be full of the proverbial beans...

The .45ACP is one of the most difficult to suppress. Bigger hole means more gas escaping. They are probably the loudest of the pistol calibers as far as suppression goes. YMMV

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    as ot was explained to me - the sound suppression is easier on a 45 since it is already subsonic - you can handload at lower power to make even quieter from there -

as I understand it - the people downrange from the shooter hear the bullet passing hard surface objects, not the actual shot...am I incorrect?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    as ot was explained to me - the sound suppression is easier on a 45 since it is already subsonic - you can handload at lower power to make even quieter from there -

as I understand it - the people downrange from the shooter hear the bullet passing hard surface objects, not the actual shot...am I incorrect?

Yes but you would, however, be right if the bullet would be going supersonic. The "passing hard surface objects" would be the sonic wave bouncing off those objects. If the bullet was subsonic, you likely wouldn't hear anything at all unless it's path was a foot from your ear. You can get a .45 pretty quiet, but silencers work on the principal of trappinig and cooling the gasses created from the combustion of the powder. The more gas that gets "out" the louder the report will be. This is the inherent problem in suppressing large calibers. The bore diameter in the center of the baffle stack is so large that a lot of gas is getting "out" and causing a louder report. That's why .45's aren't anywhere near hollywood quiet.

Top Bottom