• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There's a "support animal" eating off a table next to me in an airport restaurant. Some tiny mini thing. Can I bring my armadillo because it makes my anxiety better on a plane?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Apparently support animals require no training and don't need to offer anything other than "hey, my dog's with me" to the person who has it. If you want to bring them on an airline they can require documentation of the qualifying disability and Doctor note recommending a support animal

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    [h=2]DEFINITION OF A SERVICE ANIMAL[/h]Q1. What is a service animal?
    A. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
    A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Source https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you want to bring them on an airline they can require documentation of the qualifying disability and Doctor note recommending a support animal

You don't want to be the CEO of the airline that dares ask for that documentation. This is 2016, no one should have to have a legitimate need for a service animal to have a service animal. Very few should even have to pay for their service animal or it's care.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have seen only a couple of people with "service animals".
    They were rather weird, and had a lot of ink.
    My guess is that they've been stressed for a long while, and the critter aint gonna help much.

Anxiety...........dragging around an attention getter (of course the pooch has "do not bother me" stuff written on it's harness).

Seems dang near counterproductive..........

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    There are websites where, in mere minutes, you can "register" a "service animal" for a fee and you get a "registered service animal certificate" to print.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had anniversary dinner at what was referred to me as an upscale restaurant in Greenfield. Half way through the meal people next to us were seated with a dog, when I asked the server about this it was explained that this was a support animal. The two women with the dog didn't appear to be handicapped in any way, and the dog did appear well trained. Still, we never went back to that place.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Most of these animals are just pets. We have hunanized the family dog to the point of absurdity. This is what happens when millions in a society starts to refer to their pet as a 'fur kid' or 'fur baby.' The ever inceasing number of people who just blatantly violate any and all laws or rules regarding their pets is just more of a sign the country is in a state of decline. I heard of a service animal that took a dump in a building once and another where the employee constantly spoke to a dog as if it was a human. I've seen this behavior with others and their pet, I mean service animal.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Support animals":what are they?

Animals that carry the support weapons.

54864.jpg

dogs_pulling_machine_gun.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    DEFINITION OF A SERVICE ANIMAL

Q1. What is a service animal?
    A. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
    A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Source https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Important point right here.

I fully support service animals. 110%. Support animals? Limited support from me. That fleabag sitting next to you had BETTER be a TRAINED and CREDENTIALED service animal. If you need a support animal, dont expect it to be going with you where pets are not allowed. Because that is what it is. A PET!

Need a support animal to eat out? Get it to go. Seriously. Your glorified pet has no business going everywhere.

And flame on. One of my kids has some serious issues we are working with in regards to anxiety, etc. so I know what its like to "need" support out in public. There are many times we have to "get it to go" because of this. And I gladly do it for them. If my kid said "I can do this if we take our pet" I'd still say no. Even though that pet provided support, its still only a pet.

If your problem is medical in nature and you truly need help, your care provider will help you locate a SERVICE ANIMAL to assist you. A living, breathing security blankey is not appropriate in all situations and should not be exempt from "no animals" signs. (service animals are always exempt due to the special training) Not seeing a professional for your anxiety? Then you truly dont need help. (or you are doing it wrong)

But if you are just a snowflake that wants to tote around your puppy because you like him and he makes you feel good, get bent! You are diluting the importance of service animals and making people question legitimate support animals.

/rant

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Funny you should ask, I've been going round and round with a restaurant owner who is afraid to say anything to the FAKE RANGER, about bringing his "support" dog in. I was in his corner 100%, until the more he talked, the less he knew. So after a little research by some guys I actually KNOW where "Scroll" Rangers, found out his was just a lie. Support animals are WONDERFUL things, but some people are abusing even this!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "emotional support" animals are a fraud where people decide to tag onto something legitimate to get their way for selfish reasons. In the insanity of the worshippers of the goddess "politically correct", cult members trample on every ruling, statute and regulation needed for a civilized society.

We need to make the board of health stop closing down restaurants for maggots, cockroaches and rodents crawling all over the place, because these could be considered "emotional support" animals.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    Most of these animals are just pets. We have hunanized the family dog to the point of absurdity. This is what happens when millions in a society starts to refer to their pet as a 'fur kid' or 'fur baby.' The ever inceasing number of people who just blatantly violate any and all laws or rules regarding their pets is just more of a sign the country is in a state of decline. I heard of a service animal that took a dump in a building once and another where the employee constantly spoke to a dog as if it was a human. I've seen this behavior with others and their pet, I mean service animal.

well put

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Mrs G's cousin has a child that is mentally handicapped. The child has a small dog (some sort of mini tacobell dog) that they had trained to comfort him when flying (they fly a few times a year to see family). About the size of a 2L bottle of coke and very calm. I saw no problem with this sort of situation.

I also used to fly a lot for work and saw some incredibly ridiculous abuses of the "support animal" - I'd say 90% were by middle-aged women. Saw goldfish in a bowling ball sized tank (was asked to hold it while she went to the lavatory for the 5th time on a 50 minute flight - I politely refused), 2 or 3 different reptiles, a turtle, dogs, cats (including 2 that did NOT want to be held and had to be caught by the flight attendants because their owners wouldn't put them in their carriers), and a VERY LARGE pot belly pig.

I'll say that the pig poop on the seat was god awful (thankfully I was far enough forward of them that I didn't smell it until right before landing).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom