• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    To pretty a day to spend watching a football game we don't care about!

We had some handloads to test and chronograph, a new old gun to break in, Sean had to shoot ammo he'd reloaded himself for the very first time, and some fun in general to be had. I'm happy with the .45 loads I made for Cathy, happy with the two different .38 loads I had, not happy at all with the .357 loads I made, but very happy with the Security Six and it's performance with .38 handloads, factory .357 loads, and was plenty accurate with the .357 handloads I didn't like. I'll list chrono results and some notes in another post in the reloading section. Didn't shoot too terribly much for groups, not much point in it when you are all shivery LOL. We didn't shoot to terribly badly, though.

Got the truck stuck, made a mess at the range I have to go back and fix, Cathy had to climb in the back of the truck and pretend to be sandbags so we could get some weight on the back wheels. Sean got to be stuck for the first time ever, and learned that it's not exactly the end of the world.

We are cold, wet, muddy, tired, relaxed, and chowing down on Sean's homemade pizza (he happens to be a pizza genius!) I've got some very dirty guns to clean and a very muddy truck. All signs of a day well spent :)

Me chronographing some rounds from Cathy's RIA 1911.
    Shooting2-7-10002.jpg

Me chronographing some rounds from the Security Six
    Shooting2-7-10007.jpg

Help me settle a bet: Here's Cathy shooting her Rock, gun in recoil. She's got a bad habit of pulling the trigger and looking to see if she hit the target. So... is that what she's doing here?
    Shooting2-7-10012.jpg

One of my targets. You can ignore the low three on the bottom left. I had three rounds left to burn up before walking back to the bench and packing. All these are off hand.
    Top left = 5 rounds at 7 yards from Cathy's Rock
    Top right = 6 rounds .38 Special cast bullets single action, 7 yards
    Center = 6 rounds .357 Mag 110 gr SJHP, single action 25 yards
    Bottom right = 6 round .38 Special 110 gr SJHP double action, 7 yards
    Bottom left = 6 rounds .357 110 gr SJHP double action, 7 yards
    Shooting2-7-10014.jpg

Sean shooting the very first ammo he reloaded himself:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXc0kL9U2ps"]YouTube - Shooting 2-7-10 008.MOV[/ame]

Chronographing .38 Special 110 gr SJHP loads
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhx1DLHxBB8"]YouTube - Shooting 2-7-10 006.MOV[/ame]

Chronographing 4 spare rounds of the Hornady 125 gr XTP reloads I'm currently using as a carry load:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSnMV5Rv25o"]YouTube - Chronographing some mild .357 reloads[/ame]

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    It looks like a great day for all. Enjoy every minute, he will be grown up and gone before you know it. I wish there was a way to keep them 10 forever, kinda. As for the misses, it's kind of hard to tell but you have to like(and respect) a lady with a full size .45.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It looks like a great day for all. Enjoy every minute, he will be grown up and gone before you know it. I wish there was a way to keep them 10 forever, kinda. As for the misses, it's kind of hard to tell but you have to like(and respect) a lady with a full size .45.

He's getting more fun by the day. Gotta watch what you say to 'em at that age, though. I told him yesterday he had to shoot his own loads in case they blew up. Did you see how far back he's leaning from that gun? LOL.

As for Cathy, she says she wasn't, but I'll bet she was. I'm going to dress a silhouette target up with a shirt someday soon. You can't see your hits, it'll MAKE her stop trying to see how she hit and concentrate on the sights. In any case, while her taste in guns is certainly worthy of respect, I'm more fond of her taste in men :D. Read all these posts about "my wife won't let me buy a gun," and "how do I get my wife to let me buy a gun?" and you've just gotta love a woman whose only fights are "who gets the next gun?"

Yeah, we had a ball :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Where's the picture of being stuck? Looks like fun anyways! I wanted to do some shooting today, but it didn't happen.

Crap... I didn't even think of it LOL. We were so cold by that point getting out was all we were worried about. Heck, if I hadn't been freezing, I would have backed out to a turn around, instead of going stupid and trying to turn around where I was.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Sounds like a great day all around. Have you tried the 125 Hornady's with the .38spl? That was what I worked up yesterday. Haven't gotten out to shoot them yet.

I've not tried them in .38, yet. I'll work a load up with them for my snubby, though. They are easier to come by than cast SWC hollowpoints, and I'm particularly fond of the accuracy the XTP gives.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've not tried them in .38, yet. I'll work a load up with them for my snubby, though. They are easier to come by than cast SWC hollowpoints, and I'm particularly fond of the accuracy the XTP gives.

I went with 4.5gr of Titegroup to start...will be shooting them from my wife's snubbie. Hoping foro decent results.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    He's getting more fun by the day. Gotta watch what you say to 'em at that age, though. I told him yesterday he had to shoot his own loads in case they blew up. Did you see how far back he's leaning from that gun? LOL.

As for Cathy, she says she wasn't, but I'll bet she was. I'm going to dress a silhouette target up with a shirt someday soon. You can't see your hits, it'll MAKE her stop trying to see how she hit and concentrate on the sights. In any case, while her taste in guns is certainly worthy of respect, I'm more fond of her taste in men :D. Read all these posts about "my wife won't let me buy a gun," and "how do I get my wife to let me buy a gun?" and you've just gotta love a woman whose only fights are "who gets the next gun?"

Yeah, we had a ball :)

When I tell the misses I'm getting a new gun all she say's is " great, now I get to go to the mall" and that usually end up costing more than my new toy:dunno:. I have never bought a gun just for her, she just takes mine.

Top Bottom