• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Flame me if you want but that is just irresponsible gun ownership. Maybe its better the ATF hang onto your items until you learn how to properly secure firearms. When I got my FFL the ATF were crystal clear about where to store them. I don't leave a gun in my car locked in my garage. I damn sure wouldn't leave one in a trailer in someones parking lot. Doing **** like that puts guns in the wrong hands.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Flame me if you want but that is just irresponsible gun ownership. Maybe its better the ATF hang onto your items until you learn how to properly secure firearms. When I got my FFL the ATF were crystal clear about where to store them. I don't leave a gun in my car locked in my garage. I damn sure wouldn't leave one in a trailer in someones parking lot. Doing **** like that puts guns in the wrong hands.

You mean like every law enforcement agency does everyday?

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    If my understanding is correct, they haven't pursued any charges against the thief/thieves. If they needed the stuff for court stuff wouldn't the be pursuing some charges? I think his contention is the fact that they aren't charging the guy, yet they're still holding all his stuff.

How long can they hold stuff for that purpose without pursuing charges? Indefinite? If so, that seems to be a loop-hole in being secure in your possessions; if they can hold it as evidence of a crime yet not charge the criminal then what is stopping them from seizing all of our guns as evidence in a crime (RAS or not) and holding it forever without charges?

Seems to me they should either get on with it, or give his stuff back.

If I read the pertinent articles correctly at least one of the suspects has been charged.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'm no lawyer and I didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express last nite but isn't it pretty standard for the "prosecution" to hang onto the evidence until after all the court stuff is over?

They do have the option of documenting the items with photographs or other representations, to establish that they existed, were stolen, recovered by authorities, and then returned.

Plenty of big box shoplifting cases where the booty is returned to the store before the case is prosecuted.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Yes it is perfectly legal.
    Just because something legal doesn't mean it's safe. And an FFL has different rules that apply to them. Breaking the rules give the ATF the right to take your firearms.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    HnK, Please quote the federal storage laws regarding machine guns for a class 3 dealer along with personally owned machine guns.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    how many levels of security do you have at your FFL?

Had. I closed my shop last month due to relocating to TN next month.

My shop had two Johnson gun safes. Both secured to a concrete floor and a closet constructed around them. I had 6 cameras 3 inside 3 outside and a DVR that recorded 24 hours a day in real time. It was also located on our property next to out house that had a driveway monitoring system. Still didn't feel like enough security on a busy day.

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    HnK, Please quote the federal storage laws regarding machine guns for a class 3 dealer along with personally owned machine guns.

I don't have time to dig out the book but a safe was a requirement to pass inspection and get my FFL. A trailer is not defined as a safe. It's not a complex set of rules to follow.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't have time to dig out the book but a safe was a requirement to pass inspection and get my FFL. A trailer is not defined as a safe. It's not a complex set of rules to follow.

Like I said earlier big boy, put up or shut up.....
    HnK, Please quote the federal storage laws regarding machine guns for a class 3 dealer along with personally owned machine guns

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Had. I closed my shop last month due to relocating to TN next month.

My shop had two Johnson gun safes. Both secured to a concrete floor and a closet constructed around them. I had 6 cameras 3 inside 3 outside and a DVR that recorded 24 hours a day in real time. It was also located on our property next to out house that had a driveway monitoring system. Still didn't feel like enough security on a busy day.

And what YOU had as security has NOTHING to do with the laws.
    Post the ATF or Federal laws on class 3 storage. Its not hard to just.p on atf's website and with a little cut & paste....

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

You are fighting a losing battle on here. Apparently it is perfectly responsible to leave a SAW in a thin skinned trailer marked with a firearms company logo overnight in the alleyway behind a closed business overnight; even though you have already had NFA items left in your vehicle overnight stolen in the recent past.

I always thought that firearms owners were as a general rule big fans of personal responsibility for their weapons, but INGO sure opened my eyes.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You are fighting a losing battle on here. Apparently it is perfectly responsible to leave a SAW in a thin skinned trailer marked with a firearms company logo overnight in the alleyway behind a closed business overnight; even though you have already had NFA items left in your vehicle overnight stolen in the recent past.

I always thought that firearms owners were as a general rule big fans of personal responsibility for their weapons, but INGO sure opened my eyes.

Ahhhhh...personal responsibility goes with obeying the law... Since you also know so much about the Federal storage laws in the good old USA,, maybe YOU can post the law that says storing class 3 or any other firearm inside of a locked ( by more than one means ) trailer that a law has been broken.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ahhhhh... Since you also know so much about the Federal storage laws in the good old USA,, maybe YOU can post the law that says storing class 3 or any other firearm inside of a locked ( by more than one means ) trailer that a law has been broken.

Where does my post in any way reference the law? If you honestly believe that legal=responsible, I am sad for you.

Top Bottom