• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    You probably get a lot of these threads, sorry. Ok, I am new to all of this. I have never owned a firearm of any kind in my 50 years. Not for any particular reason, just never did. I grew up around guns, my Dad always had them and us kids knew better than to ever touch them without permission. My brothers all own guns, I just haven’t.

The wife and I have decided that we want a revolver (personal preference) for home protection and to shoot at a range once in a while. My understanding is that we do not need any permit to do this. We don’t plan to carry it around other than to target shoot occasionally. It will be in a safe beside our bed otherwise.

Here are the revolvers we have looked at online and a few of them at the two gun shops we have visited. I am a little concerned that a .357 will be too powerful for my lovely other half to use comfortably. We really want to stay under $500 and would gladly buy used if we could find something we want. You can tell that they are all 4" models, I think that is our preference. 2" barrel is too short for our comfort and 6" barrel too long.

Charter Arms -.357 target mag pug
    Rossi- MODEL R97104 .357 MAGNUM 4" BARREL 6-SHOT
    Rossi -MODEL R85104 .38 SPECIAL + P 6-SHOT (we really like this one)
    Taurus -SERVICE MODEL 827 .38 SPL. REVOLVER
    S/W-Model 10 Revolver (my personal favorite of all of these)

Suggestions on any other models and where they might be available are welcome and appreciated.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    No license needed to carry at home but you do need one to transport to the range. You also may change your mind and want to transport or carry other places later. Highly recommend it (and maybe a basic pistol class for both?):)

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    You might know, in case you don't tho, a 357 can also fire 38 spl. Now, all the guns you listed are good weapons altho my choice would be a smith+ Wesson also. The mdl10 is a great gun and you might also like a 19 or 66 these are 357 and like I said also shoot 38spl.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    For one, don't go by what a person says, and purchase said pistol.

What you need to do is handle each one, shoot each one, and purchase the one that you are comfortable and accurate with.

As for the brand, I have two Taurus 38 snubbies that I am very fond of. They shoot well, and for being under $295 new, I love them.

The new M&P revolvers are wonderful little pieces. Love the grips on them.

Also, take caution. Its been mentioned many times that it is ILLEGAL to transport a pistol to and from your home unless its from a place of repair or purchase.

You'll need your LTCH for personal protection or a permit to transport back and forth to the range.

Last but not least, look into hammerless revolvers if you're new to carrying concealed and you intend on going under the clothes.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I am not a lawyer BUT my understanding of the law is that you DO need a handgun license if you are to take your handgun to the range, assuming you are talking about a public range. You do not need a permit to possess a handgun as long as it stays on your property, you are transporting it from the dealer or repair shop, to or from your property. I highly recommend you read a book entitled "Indiana Handgun Law" by Bryan Ciyou. Read both first and second editions if possible. I understand it is available at the Marion County Library but I recommend you purchase a copy. Bryan Ciyou is a lawyer with a proctice in Indianapolis and is well versed in this topic.

As to gun choice, I recommend the S&W model 10. Thee are the current decendent of the original 38 SPL Military and Police models dating back to the 1890's. They literally last a lifetime. I have one that was made in 1949 and is still reliable and accurate. The others are low cost imitations. Nothing seedms to have the feel or trigger action of a real S&W. (my opinion).

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Agree that you should try and feel as many as possible. Plainfield Shooters is highly recommended. The guys at Beach Grove Firearms are nice too. Pop Guns on Post Road rents handguns for the indoor range. good way to try out several. At least I think they still do, have not been that way for some time. Many on this board are not fans of Don's Guns, myself included.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Go to Popgun's on the south-east corner of Indianapolis. They have a large rental counter and you can try lots of different models. Definitely worth the trip before dropping five bills to find out you don't like the gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh, and then when you decide, go to Beech Grove Firearms or go see Bob at Plainfield Shooting Supply. Either one will treat you right.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your fast response. OK so we will get the appropriate permit. Didn't know that one. I will pick up the book mentioned, thanks for that suggestion. I will also check out Plainfield, and yes I should have mentioned, we do plan to take a course.

Thanks again everyone.
    I am not a lawyer BUT my understanding of the law is that you DO need a handgun license if you are to take your handgun to the range, assuming you are talking about a public range. You do not need a permit to possess a handgun as long as it stays on your property, you are transporting it from the dealer or repair shop, to or from your property. I highly recommend you read a book entitled "Indiana Handgun Law" by Bryan Ciyou. Read both first and second editions if possible. I understand it is available at the Marion County Library but I recommend you purchase a copy. Bryan Ciyou is a lawyer with a proctice in Indianapolis and is well versed in this topic.

As to gun choice, I recommend the S&W model 10. Thee are the current decendent of the original 38 SPL Military and Police models dating back to the 1890's. They literally last a lifetime. I have one that was made in 1949 and is still reliable and accurate. The others are low cost imitations. Nothing seedms to have the feel or trigger action of a real S&W. (my opinion).

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Also, many folk on this board are willing to take you shooting with them and let you try out some of their own handguns. I am one of them (although the selection I can provide is limited: a 1911, a Nagant revolver, and a Phoenix Arms HP22a).

Trying lots of different things before buying is a really good idea.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you do decide to get your license, I highly recommend spending the extra money on the "Lifetime Personal Protection License to Carry Handgun (LTCH)" rather than the 4 year LTCH or the "Hunting and Target" LTCH. The hunting LTCH is a limited version of the Personal Protection one and the only real benefit to that is that it's cheaper. Also, the 4-year license cannot be "upgraded" to the lifetime license until it's close to expiration.

As others have said, it's worth getting it just so you can transport your firearm legally anywhere you choose.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I too would be willing to let you try some different handguns. I've got a good selection including the old model 10 previously mentioned. Also have a High Power, a couple of 1911's (full size and commander) single action Rugers and a lot of odd ball stuff. You may be suprised, you and your wifew may like it as a hobby rather than just just protection.
    Completely agree on getting training. The NRA basic pistol course is offered at many places around central Indiana.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    +1 on purchasing Indiana Handgun Law. Its a great reference piece.

+1 on getting your Lifetime License to Carry Handgun. Its only $125 - which is cheap insurance for the rest of your life.

+1 on a Basic NRA Class. This will provide a nice base for which to build upon. I would also encourage further training, as simply having a gun makes you no less prepared to handle a situation than being unarmed.

+1 for Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I like a lot of shops here in Indy (not Don's!), but Bob would probably be a better fit for your particular demographic. And he's got darn good prices and won't steer you wrong.

May I ask how you came to wanting a revolver? I'm curious what criteria you have for picking the right gun. I'm not saying its the wrong decision, as its all subjective, but I wonder how you picked a revolver over a larger capacity semi-auto.

Overall, don't let all this info get you down. Take your time and do your homework. Reading thru these threads will help you a great deal.

And keep the questions coming!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Everyone here is so great and accomodating. I will no doubt be calling on some of your generosity and trying out some guns.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Im a fan of GLOCKS although I plan to get my wife a hammerless flyweight S&W 38 to conceal carry.

My wife and kids all shoot my 40 and 45cal GLOCKS and I'm a big fan of them for home defence, their upkeep is very low and they are reliable, you don't want to be checking the safety when the bad guy is comming for you or your family.

:ar15:BAD GUYS, if they survive :ar15:them again!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Out of those, my personal choice would be the S&W Model 10, but you should also consider a S&W 586 or Ruger GP100, which are basically in the same category as those you mentioned.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    There is a Charter Arms .38spl in my local paper for $270. I don't have any spare loot so I didn't even call about it. Are you interested? I can "private message" you the number. Just send me an PM if interesed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    May I ask how you came to wanting a revolver? I'm curious what criteria you have for picking the right gun. I'm not saying its the wrong decision, as its all subjective, but I wonder how you picked a revolver over a larger capacity semi-auto.

Overall, don't let all this info get you down. Take your time and do your homework. Reading thru these threads will help you a great deal.

And keep the questions coming!
    I like the way the revolver looks. And that's just about the only reason. I find them asthetically pleasing (I am a self employed photographer part time).
    And I remember the time when we were kids that a indy police officer took his revolver out of the holster and showed it to us. Guess that always stuck with me.
    I appreciate the suggestions.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like the way the revolver looks. And that's just about the only reason. I find them asthetically pleasing (I am a self employed photographer part time).

That's a good enough reason for your first handgun.

I'd say go for a nice quality S&W that will last you a lifetime. Then, when you later decide you want a Glock 17 with 18 rounds on tap, you'll still have a fine piece in your safe. :D:D

<----- unabashed Glock guy

Top Bottom