• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got back from a trip to Proteq with Haven, and discovered that one of my uppers doesnt group well. I think its time for a new barrel.

Its a budget upper Ive had for years. I dont remeber who made it, but its got a Hera free float forend on it. Its a 1:8 twist. So it should handle pretty much anything.

I thought it was the bulk PMC Bronze and Wolf Gold ammo I've been using. So today I took various weight bullets that are a bit better quality. On my other AR this other ammo did improve my groups tremendously. But this one there was no change. I was getting 4 and 6 inch groups at 100 yards. (bench rest)

Any suggestions for a new barrel? The rest of the upper is fine. Works great.

Last edited:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Big fan of FN barrels.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Got back from a trip to Proteq with Haven, and discovered that one of my uppers doesnt group well. I think its time for a new barrel.

Its a budget upper Ive had for years. I dont remeber who made it, but its got a Hera free float forend on it. Its a 1:8 twist. So it should handle pretty much anything.

I thought it was the bulk PMC Bronze and Wolf Gold ammo I've been using. So today I took various weight bullets that are a bit better quality. On my other AR this other ammo did improve my groups tremendously. But this one there was no change. I was getting 4 and 6 inch groups at 100 yards. (bench rest)

Any suggestions for a new barrel? The rest of the upper is fine. Works great.
    What optic? What mount? What muzzle device?

Just a few other variables to think about before swapping barrels.

However, I'd agree with above; FN barrels have served me well.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    What type of accuracy are you wanting?

There are a ton of good enough for the money barrels out there.

Depending on your budget, BCM is a good option. Criterion, LMT, Noveske (PacSol), LaRue, etc etc

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Faxon is my go-to for a carbine barrel. They typically shoot around 1MOA and offer a wide variety of options depending upon your preference and are a good value. If you're looking for benchrest precision, I've got little experience and am not the guy to ask.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What optic? What mount? What muzzle device?

Just a few other variables to think about before swapping barrels.

However, I'd agree with above; FN barrels have served me well.
    Yeah, trying a new Vortex that I forgot I had first. When I started looking closer I realized it was a cheap Tasco I put on there years ago because its what I had on hand. Swapping that out first, but wanted to get the ball rolling on barrel considerations.

I did spring for a good set of Pentax rings. So those should be GTG. Muzzle device is a standard bird cage.

What type of accuracy are you wanting?

There are a ton of good enough for the money barrels out there.

Depending on your budget, BCM is a good option. Criterion, LMT, Noveske (PacSol), LaRue, etc etc
    I'd be happy with 1-2" groups at 100 yards.

And I may just build a new upper. With the scope, getting to the charging handle is awkward, so might go with a side charger.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Faxon is my go-to for a carbine barrel. They typically shoot around 1MOA and offer a wide variety of options depending upon your preference and are a good value. If you're looking for benchrest precision, I've got little experience and am not the guy to ask.
    If I wanted that, Id switch to a bolt gun. Dont need to make jagged holes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Meh....I'd stay away from Palmetto......
    Well, my response will be, with buying two uppers from Palmetto a low end and a upper end from them, neither one came with warnings as to not use a suppressor on this firearm. No Paperwork, hanging tag or labels saying do not use with a suppressor.
    Never seen anything on Palmettos website either.
    Got anything better to prove that is true?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well, my response will be, with buying two uppers from Palmetto a low end and a upper end from them, neither one came with warnings as to not use a suppressor on this firearm. No Paperwork, hanging tag or labels saying do not use with a suppressor.
    Never seen anything on Palmettos website either.
    Got anything better to prove that is true?

OK, not this morning. Lets not turn this thread into a pissing contest, mmmkay????

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ballistic Advantage, Hanson profile.

Criterion makes a nice barrel as well.
    I started with criterion. They appear to be releasing a new line because all the ones that fit the profile I was searching for are out of stock or coming soon.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I built a 300BO with a Wilson Combat barrel. It’s a shooter. I haven’t had much time to play with it and my suppressor yet

Top Bottom