Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have gotten tired enough of watching people fight with 3" "subcompact" 1911 .45's to put this video (and the accompanying challenge) out in public.
    I think 1911s are a bad idea to start with, but it is simply reckless to offer these mini-versions as defensive firearms to the public. They have a ZERO PERCENT Success rate in my training courses.... Never had one not fail. Yes, people will undoubtedly post how they have the magic unicorn Ultra Carry that never chokes. Cool--- SHOW UP at a class and prove it.... I'll refund your tuition and pay for the ammo if it really runs and you really run it.

-Rob Pincus

[ame]http://youtu.be/2P0edDYdqXU[/ame]

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Looks like his challenge was for any 1911. He may be shelling out some money. It'd be a shame for an ria tuned by ivan to complete it. Hell, my 1911 with wilsons runs the dirty ammo for 300 rounds without a hiccup. How many rounds are typically fired in his classes?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like his challenge was for any 1911. He may be shelling out some money. It'd be a shame for an ria tuned by ivan to complete it. Hell, my 1911 with wilsons runs the dirty ammo for 300 rounds without a hiccup. How many rounds are typically fired in his classes?

Dunno exactly, but I'm sure its a high round count without maintenance, and not done gently either.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Are you going to start stirring up the politics threads too?

I counter your insightful gun post with an insightful post about hand to hand combat.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuigcXvcy1A[/ame]

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a Kimber Ultra Carry II and NEVER had a FTF or FTE or any other kind of stoppage/breakdown. Are you saying that a "mini" won't hold up to sustained high rates of fire, a long time between cleaning or just what?

I could give a rats a$$ what happens after 50 rounds. I'll either be dead, wounded or victorious after the first magazine anyway.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It could be the ammo that is being used. It could be the mags that is being used. Just blaming the gun completely isn't entirely fair.

Also I don't like how they are having them trained in that class. The man was looking down at the ground when he was clearing the malfunction instead of up ahead at potential threats. The man also didn't immediately drop the mag that could have been the problem and inserted a fresh mag after the fact.

I'd liked to see Chris Costa or Travis Haley respond to this guy

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    See.... The thing is...

Sub-compact guns, say, like a sub-compact 1911, aren't meant to run hundreds of rounds at a time without maintenance. They're NOT COMBAT FIREARMS.

They're concealable firearms that are meant, #1, to conceal well. #2, they're meant to work if & when you need them.

Different types & styles of guns for different types of "duty", if you will.

SOME guns can do multiple duty. SOME guns aren't meant to.

Just like vehicles - all can do some, some can do all.

:n00b:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Ha! Well, I suppose I could forward this over to the boys at Wilson Combat. They might send the whole shop to his class at once, just to prove a point. And who knows, they might fail - the compact length 1911s ARE harder to get the timing right on. But I bet they'd LOVE to get a retraction on camera.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm working on 1000 rounds of the cheapest foreign .45acp I can find in my Kimber Ultra Carry II since it's last cleaning and it still has all the nasty lint from being carried at least 5 days a week 10-14 hours a day. Hasn't been a malfunction since getting the new base plates for my 8 round magazines in competition. NEVER had a malfunction of ANY KIND with the 7 round officer mags.

Any 1911 guys want to chip in and send me to the class? I'll refund your money when he eats his words.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    See.... The thing is...

Sub-compact guns, say, like a sub-compact 1911, aren't meant to run hundreds of rounds at a time without maintenance. They're NOT COMBAT FIREARMS.

They're concealable firearms that are meant, #1, to conceal well. #2, they're meant to work if & when you need them.

I was always taught that a handgun is what one uses to get to their long arm.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I'm working on 1000 rounds of the cheapest foreign .45acp I can find in my Kimber Ultra Carry II since it's last cleaning and it still has all the nasty lint from being carried at least 5 days a week 10-14 hours a day. Hasn't been a malfunction since getting the new base plates for my 8 round magazines in competition. NEVER had a malfunction of ANY KIND with the 7 round officer mags.

Any 1911 guys want to chip in and send me to the class? I'll refund your money when he eats his words.

Something tells me that the training would be rigged in favor of his prejudices.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    See.... The thing is...

Well put.... When you take a screwdriver and try to ratchet off a bolt, you are going to run into problems. :dunno:

I personally don't care for the mini-1911's... I like the full size version but my boss owns a mini sig and loves it. We've put hundreds of rounds through it without any problems. Would I expect it to out perform a glock in a rapid fire obstacle course? No. But it sures the hell would win in a beauty contest :):

and btw... I would trust that mini-sig in a self defense scenario. (unless of course I was confronted by a mob of zombies.. then single stack .45 isn't so appealing )

Top Bottom