• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I know, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. This is more ignorance than anything. Are gun shows a good place to get to handle guns? I am searching for my first handgun. I have my wishlist narrowed down but I haven't actually handled any of the ones on my list. I have this thing that won't let me go to a gun store and handle a bunch of guns then possibly leaving without purchasing. I don't want to waste anyone's time and I don't have time to go to a bunch of different stores. Also, what are the protocols on dry firing in a gun store? Hate to buy a gun without even pulling the trigger. Thanks for the help.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Yes they are a good place to see a variety of guns as well as how dealers treat people. As for dry firing always ask first and remember to check the chamber before doing anything. If you dry fire be sure not to point it at anyone as that can cause quite a disturbance.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I know, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. This is more ignorance than anything. Are gun shows a good place to get to handle guns? I am searching for my first handgun. I have my wishlist narrowed down but I haven't actually handled any of the ones on my list. I have this thing that won't let me go to a gun store and handle a bunch of guns then possibly leaving without purchasing. I don't want to waste anyone's time and I don't have time to go to a bunch of different stores. Also, what are the protocols on dry firing in a gun store? Hate to buy a gun without even pulling the trigger. Thanks for the help.
    As long as you are asking questions, to LEARN, then NO, there are no stupid questions ..... On the other part of your statement, I shall use my 5th amendment, right, to remain silent ..... Ask all the questions, you want..... This place, has a wealth of knowledge.....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Where are you from? I GARANTEE you if you go to highsmith guns out in greenfield, they will let you handle everything they have in stock and will not be upset if you don't make the purchase. But when you are ready, just give them the first crack at your business.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Gun shows are definitely a good place to browse, but I don't think browsing without buying at a gun show is any different than at a gun shop. Both places expect it as part of doing business.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Gun show are a perfect place for you if you don't like to "bother" the sales people or feel like you are putting them out by asking to see too many guns in the store (you aren't!). But it is still polite to ask before handling, and definitely before dry firing any gun.

You will have the chance to put your hands on more guns in a much shorter time span than traveling to several shops.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Personally I'd pick a good LGS, and go possibly during the week, during the day (hopefully a less busy time) and tell them up front you are trying to narrow down your choices, etc.

On the other hand, if you know what you want to handle, and don't really need to ask any questions, you might head to Gander. They have a big selection, but crazy prices and generally the people behind the counter are less than helpful. Just be prepared to take a number when you go there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would go anywhere and handle guns. I use Gander Mountain a lot for this purpose. And I have purchased two guns from them, plus I buy all my shotgun shells from them. And I have picked up some 70% off clothing deals.

Do I buy each time I go in? No. But I do buy. A retailer wants traffic.

I am not anymore comfortable or uncomfortable handling a firearm at a gun store as I am at a gun show. And I dry fire everything except rimfires. I have dismissed guns from consideration based on the trigger feel alone. I would not purchase a gun without dry firing it.

And I apologize to you proper folks out there, but I don't ask unless it's a private individual I am buying from. If dry firing hurts it, I don't want it.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    If you're anywhere near Bradis I highly recommend them. my buddy from NC was up visiting, we stopped in. The salesman let him handle anything and spent at least 30 just talking, knowing full well he couldn't buy anything.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I'd have to agree with what has been said.

Go to LGS during the day when they are not as busy and let them know you have questions and want help for a soon to be made purchase.

The guns shows are great for seeing and handling lots of guns and comparing prices.

I cant believe this hasn't been mentioned already about dry firing. Make sure you remember to sweep the room several times then call out bang every time you squeeze the trigger.

Have fun and let us know what you end up buying or even ask questions here. We are always willing to help and we love it when you post pictures!

of course I'm kidding about sweeping the room but they may get a kick out of the bang.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Or see if therenis an INGO Meet & Shoot sometime this spring. Many people here would be willing to let you try stuff out, and answer questions.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Or see if therenis an INGO Meet & Shoot sometime this spring. Many people here would be willing to let you try stuff out, and answer questions.
    This is one of the best ways to go about it. You have a short list, you get to handle, dry fire and live fire each potential purchase. And a lot of shooters/INGOers are willing to help out a new shooter (for cost of ammo usually).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Little suggestion, if you have an idea what caliber you want, pick up a couple of snap-caps. Like it or not there are some firearms that can have their firing pin damaged by dry firing. Many sellers would be thrilled to see you install a snap-cap prior to dry firing. Just remember that when you are done, take the snap-cap with you. ;)

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Gun shows are great places to handle lots of guns in one place. When I was first starting out I would go to the shows and handle all the snub nosed revolvers that were pleasing to look at. I didn't have a caliber preference in mind. I shopped mostly by size and appearance. I am a petite female with small hands so size is important to me.

When I would look at the guns to see what they were I found that I was drawn to Smith & Wesson 357's & the Ruger SP101 357. I ended up buying a SP101 based on reviews at the time that said the SP101 could repeatedly handle heavier loads than the S&W.

I still love the SP101. I have bought other guns with the intent to carry them but always end up going back to my SP101 as my EDC.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Little suggestion, if you have an idea what caliber you want, pick up a couple of snap-caps. Like it or not there are some firearms that can have their firing pin damaged by dry firing. Many sellers would be thrilled to see you install a snap-cap prior to dry firing. Just remember that when you are done, take the snap-cap with you. ;)

Not a bad idea, but I think it should be also noted to make it clear you're putting in a snap cap. If I was somewhere looking at guns and I saw from the corner of my eye someone either put what looks to be a round in a magazine or dropped directly in a chamber I'd feel quite... uneasy. Unless of course I knew it was snap cap... ;)

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    I don't dry fire rim fire guns, but I do all others without asking. I only have had one person complain about it and it was at a gun show. He complained about me racking a 1911. He would have had a fit if I dried fired it. I just said, "I guess you don't really want to sell it."

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I feel bad sometimes if the LGS is really busy and I'm not sure if o wasn't too by or not. I've been to a few that when dealing with the clerks they act bored or distracted. I would think most would want you to make an informed choice. But at gun shows man people are johnny on the spot. Never had a problem at one yet. They know you are there because you're looking and most will do what they can for you even if they are super busy.

mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    I have always found that if you are respectful and ask to handle and dry fire the right type of gun, then no problem. Make sure to keep muzzle pointed in safe direction.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I disagree with the premise, somewhat. The Gun Show is a terrible place in my opinion. The Indy 1500 for example, costs money to park, AND admission, and I have found that many dealers there are difficult to approach (busy), and not cooperative about handling guns due to the high traffic and number of finger-fondlers they see past the table in a few hours. On the other hand, I have found most Local Gun Shops more than happy to let you handle several firearms, if you explain you're trying to make a decision.

I absolutely would not do the snap-cap thing. They will carefully check the gun before handing it to you. You putting ANYthing in it after that is cause for concern, and having to explain "it's just a snap cap" is still placing more complexity than is necessary into this interaction. Them having to check what you're inserting is just unnecessary strife, in my opinion. There are people who believe snap-caps are necessary to prevent harming the gun. These people simply are not very knowledgeable, because as long as it's a centerfire gun, no knowledgeable gun shop is going to have a problem with you snapping it once or twice, once it's been checked. There are a very few exceptions like the Ruger LCP, but the shop will know what those are (or should).

Top Bottom