Study "shows" LTCH not as effective as you'd think...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I call total BS, and agree with the first comment I read...
    "Typical liberal media fact twisting. Take a bunch of untrained individuals, give them a crash course. Stack the deck with a professional instructor as the attacker -who is aware that one in the room is armed (most assailants are not well trained themselves, and most never expect armed response). Then call the predictable results "proof". The only thing proven here was the bias of those constructing the lopsided story and scenario."

Watch the 2 part video for yourself. I disagree with the "results" 1000000%...
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part One - YouTube - Part 1
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part Two - YouTube - Part 2

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Very lopsided reporting, doesn't really qualify as reporting. This is the what we have come to expect from the media. They are only out to advocate their own position, with no commitment to objectivity. If carrying is so ineffective, then why does the crime rate consistently drop in states that have adopted provisions for carry, Indiana included? And what about the CDC study, recently commissioned by President Obama himself, that shows use of firearms to be an important crime deterrent? [see recent thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense-%91important-crime-deterrent%92.html ] The media has NO credibility. Sadly the only thing that you can rely on the media for consistently, is that they will be consistently incompetent, non-objective, and even dishonest.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Very lopsided reporting, doesn't really qualify as reporting. This is the what we have come to expect from the media. They are only out to advocate their own position, with no commitment to objectivity. If carrying is so ineffective, then why does the crime rate consistently drop in states that have adopted provisions for carry, Indiana included? And what about the CDC study, recently commissioned by President Obama himself, that shows use of firearms to be an important crime deterrent? [see recent thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-defense-%91important-crime-deterrent%92.html ] The media has NO credibility. Sadly the only thing that you can rely on the media for consistently, is that they will be consistently incompetent, non-objective, and even dishonest.

I agree 110%

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I call total BS, and agree with the first comment I read...
    "Typical liberal media fact twisting. Take a bunch of untrained individuals, give them a crash course. Stack the deck with a professional instructor as the attacker -who is aware that one in the room is armed (most assailants are not well trained themselves, and most never expect armed response). Then call the predictable results "proof". The only thing proven here was the bias of those constructing the lopsided story and scenario."

Watch the 2 part video for yourself. I disagree with the "results" 1000000%...
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part One - YouTube - Part 1
    Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part Two - YouTube - Part 2

I'm with your conclusion 100% correct. This is a totally bogus test. Several issues:

1) The gunman is a trained professional, knows exactly what he's looking for, the ONE person who has a gun.
    2) The "victim" has to wear a cumbersome facemask that really impedes his ability to respond.

In general a shooter will NOT be cool-as-a-cucumber as this shooter was. But if so, perhaps a former Navy Seal, you're dead. But the much more likely case is that the shooter is scared or is over-confident, or high-as-a-kite and will not be looking the the one person with a gun.

I'll take my changes with a handgun that I know I've practiced with 100s or even 1000s of times. Sure, there is a chance that I'll die trying, but there is a 100% chance that I'll die in an active shooter situation like this if I do nothing. Even if I choose to hide initially (which might be a good choice here) if the shooter does what the Columbine shooters did and methodically go through rooms killing people, the opportunity to take out the shooter might easily present itself.

Indeed, this was totally staged by people who don't want anyone to have a gun. So the designed this to produce exactly the results they wanted to show. When I watch it I see that they gave all the advantage to the shooter, and crippled the victims.

Month after month, however, I read actual events in the NRA magazine where real people defend themselves successfully against real bad-guys. There are endless reports here about people who stop, disable, or kill would-be violent criminals in defense of themselves. Clearly having the option of an armed and lethal response DOES make a difference for some people. It gives you an option. But NOT having a handgun means you are dependent on the usually too late arrival of law enforcement. If they come too late, you die!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Setting up the scenario where armed citizens fail is a common tactic of the anti gunners. But it does make a point, untrained armed citizens that do not at least familiarize themselves with the weapon they carry do have a higher fail rate in a situation than someone trained and maintains proficiency.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Bad guy:

Is far more skilled than average criminal.
    Knows who has the gun and where they are sitting.
    Is clam as can be because he knows its not real and what is coming.

Student:

Little to no training.
    Wearing mask that restricts view.
    Wearing a shirt thats 6 times to big for them that swallows the holster up.
    Wearing gloves that are not made for shooting.
    Placed dead center of room with chairs and people on all four sides of him.

Completely set up to prove the anti gunners views.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Also, they had to use a cheap, flimsy holster, and they had no time to practice before the scenario. Another thing was that even if they shot the gunman, they would say that a shot in that area would not stop him, but if the gunman gets you in the tip of your left pinky finger, you're as good as dead. Combine that with a highly trained gunman who knows where the guy with the gun is sitting, and you lose every time.

I can't believe anyone would fall for this.

Top Bottom