• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, beyond the obvious jokes, I need a recommendation for a good, and reasonably priced (for home use) stud finder.

The one I have (have had it for years) is officially junk and would have you believe my garage walls are entirely made of studs. After drilling several holes, this is obviously not the case.

If anyone has a fairly recent purchase of one that they would recommend, I'd appreciate it. The reviews seem to be all over the place. I've managed to hang a couple of organizing rails in the garage in the last couple of days by eventually finding a stud through other means and then measuring off of that one, but it's extremely frustrating. I'm not particularly handy on a lot of this stuff, but finding a stud should be easier than this. I seem to remember the last time I tried to use the finder I have it being a pain, but not this much. I'm going to throw this thing away.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've had good luck with Zircon stud finders...

https://www.zircon.com/categories/stud-finders/

If I'm having a tough time with a stud finder, I'll sometimes use a strong magnet to find drywall screws...assuming the screw is in a stud. A telescoping one is what I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/Master-Magnetics-Telescoping-Magnetic-Retrieving/dp/B07PXDDH5L

Lastly, if you need to PRECISELY find the edges of a stud...I'll use a stud finder initially. Then I'll chuck up a fairly small drill bit in my rechargeable drill. I'll start drilling a series of small holes near where I think the edge of the stud is, until I actually find the edge (no resistance when plunging drill bit through drywall). Do this for each side of the stud. The small holes are easily filled with drywall compound.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Web, I have had a couple Zircons. My latest is a little better than my first but they still can be hit and miss at times.

I use it and when it's not pointing at me (couldn't resist:)), it generally finds the studs.

042186633931.jpg

That's the one I have.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've got the Zircon e50 and it's worked well for years.

The Zircon Stud Sensor SL, doesn't work very well and is why I bought the more expensive e50 long ago.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Ok, beyond the obvious jokes, I need a recommendation for a good, and reasonably priced (for home use) stud finder.

The one I have (have had it for years) is officially junk and would have you believe my garage walls are entirely made of studs. After drilling several holes, this is obviously not the case.

If anyone has a fairly recent purchase of one that they would recommend, I'd appreciate it. The reviews seem to be all over the place. I've managed to hang a couple of organizing rails in the garage in the last couple of days by eventually finding a stud through other means and then measuring off of that one, but it's extremely frustrating. I'm not particularly handy on a lot of this stuff, but finding a stud should be easier than this. I seem to remember the last time I tried to use the finder I have it being a pain, but not this much. I'm going to throw this thing away.
    My personal experience is I have not found a stud finder worth a poo. You can more easily tap the wall with a screw driver or butt of a hammer and find the stud. You will hear the knocking become deadened or more solid when you find the stud

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My personal experience is I have not found a stud finder worth a poo. You can more easily tap the wall with a screw driver or butt of a hammer and find the stud. You will hear the knocking become deadened or more solid when you find the stud

Yeah, trying that but my capabilities in that area have seemed to prove wrong. In the latest thing I'm doing it's not a big deal to have some extra drill holes in the wall, but for other projects it would be maddening even more than it is now.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Yeah, trying that but my capabilities in that area have seemed to prove wrong. In the latest thing I'm doing it's not a big deal to have some extra drill holes in the wall, but for other projects it would be maddening even more than it is now.
    Are your walls drywall or plaster?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I really like mine. Works well in interior walls, and just OK on heavily insulated walls. It was expensive but I'd buy it again.
    Franklin Sensors:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195K8OT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: You slide it across the wall and the lights light up where it detects the stud. 1 stud? 3 lights. double stud? 6 light up. Whenever it finds something under the surface, it lights up the LED above the object from edge to edge. In theory, if somebody put a 2x12 flat behind the wall, ALL the lights would light up.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Looking at the E50 and the L50 and comparing them on Zircon's site, I can't seem to see what the difference is in these models.
    Raskel lol.. i was going to suggest that the corner should have a stud, from there you could measure every 16, 18 some really older homes did 24" on center some actually pretty random, just take into account modern 2x4 are not really 2 inches

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Raskel lol.. i was going to suggest that the corner should have a stud, from there you could measure every 16, 18 some really older homes did 24" on center some actually pretty random, just take into account modern 2x4 are not really 2 inches

Also look for an electrical box secured to a stud. Find that stud and measure from there.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Also look for an electrical box secured to a stud. Find that stud and measure from there.

Done both of those tricks. They help for sure.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had a Zircon in my cart for several days, but since I had already mounted 2 of the 3 rails I had to mount on the wall (the first 2 were kind of a PITA due to location), and the last one needed to go on a wall under an upper cabinet, I just used the position of some of the screws in the cabinet and the tap the wall method to find the first one and just measured 16" off of the first one to find the next and so on.

I will still likely get a Zircon soon as I will likely have some stuff to put on walls inside the house soon and won't want to end up with extra holes in the walls. That said, I'm still a bit leary as every one of these electronic stud finders I look at seems to have a lot of mixed reviews. The old one I have definitely is a POS.

For the guys that use the magnetic ones, does it take a long time to find the first stud with those?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom