• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Does anyone think that I can successfully and safely store fuel outside on my balcony? I live in an apartment and do not have a garage. Moisture is my primary concern. I would potentially store a couple 5gal plastic cans inside of another plastic tub or box.

Any opinions? Obviously if SHTF, I don't want to damage my vehicle with water in my gas tank.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd think that as long as you can keep the sun off of the gas containers and keep said containers as full as possible with gas + stabilizer, that you should be OK.

Keep in mind, though, that chances are VERY hight that you'll be breaking the terms of your lease by storing it.

-J-

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah, keep the sun off them, keep them stabilized, and rotate them in to your tank at a set interval. Also, buy a long necked funnel. I've found that is the best way to put gas from a can into the car. Try it, that way you'll know it work when the time comes.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Don't worry about a little condensation. It won't hurt your car. If you feel the need, store a bottle of isopropyl with them. But bear in mind, pouring water into the carb while the engine is at a high idle has been a good method of cleaning the inside of an engines cylinders since the beginning of the internal combustion engine.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    I think it would be against the fire code. Most area fire codes do not allow even having a small grill out there.

but i'm not up on your area.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would be very concerned with storing fuel like that for all the above reasons,

If you don't use a stabilizer the fuel will start "going Stale" in 30 days, If you have to store I would suggest getting some of the Metal "Gerry" cans with the good gaskets on them and keep them under a tarp, I have used the "Sta-Bil" product and I had one out of 10 cans that I store for generator purposes really give my mower fits after I rotated it into the summer use this year, It was still fuel and the mower ran on nearly year old fuel so I guess all is well,

I was told by a Generator repair shop that the Briggs and Stratton Fuel stabilizer is better than Stabil I've not been able to test that. His remarks were around the fact that most of his generator repair work was based on improper storage and improper maintenance of Gensets

I'm sure some firecode will be violated but if it gets you out of town when things go bad then go for it

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Glad I don't live in an apartment, even more glad if I did it would not be next, above or below you.

Please do NOT store fuel on your balcony.

Top Bottom