• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I do not own very many pistols, but have started to look into and buy more than just my edc pistol. my question is how do you all store them in your safes. i refuse to leave guns in the plastic foam packed 'coffins' that they come in. those things hold moisture and will eat a gun in no time. i do not have a large safe, and need some storage idea for my pistols. i have done some looking and like the idea of the pistols being stored on the door, but some racks would eat into my top shelf, so it would need to be the king that lay them as flay as possible down the door. anyone have ideas or similar products and how do you like them, or should i just get a smaller safe and put it on top other the long gun safe (bolted together)? any ideas or pics would be great.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I like the idea of the door rack's but like anything when it comes to a hobby at some point you just plain run out of room and have to buy another safe or something.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I've got several handguns in soft cases on my top shelf. I use a big box of desiccant to fight moisture. I've only had to rejuvenate the box once in about 4 months. I've seen racks that fit under the top shelf and hold the handgun so you can quick draw as soon as the door is opened. Sorry I can remember where they were. A quick Google should turn up some options.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I mounted 1/4 pegboard on the inside of the door. Then I went to local hardware store and bought the hardware a couple ft of soft tubing and cut to fit over the hardware. Works well for me and frees up tremendous shelf space.

uniquejohn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    west lafayette
    i use a rack that holds 6 each, made by browning (i think), got them at sportsman warehouse in the area where the safes are, since they are gone, i bet gm or cabelas have them, hold the guns upright next to each other, works great for me

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I mounted 1/4 pegboard on the inside of the door. Then I went to local hardware store and bought the hardware a couple ft of soft tubing and cut to fit over the hardware. Works well for me and frees up tremendous shelf space.

:+1: I did this as well.

If you buy the J-Hooks and other hardware for pegboard you can fit a lot of pistols on your door. Just make sure you have it mounted to support the weight you're about to put on it.

Also, The air line tubes for the fish tanks is the perfect size to fit over the hooks so you don't have to worry about scratching any of your guns.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I like these free-standing racks that can store from 1 to 10 pistols, and can be stacked. Can be used on a safe shelf, or pulled out and used on the bench (or at the range) when needed. Pistols can also be stored right-side-up so lube doesn't pool in the action.

4 & 6 Gun Pistol Racks [VER102011 & VER104039] - $29.99 : Versatile Rack Company, Convenient and Durable Gun Racks

They also have peg board compatible stuff:

Peg Board Pistol Rack [VER102110] - $11.99 : Versatile Rack Company, Convenient and Durable Gun Racks

But, this isn't rocket science. There are a number of good products out there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the ones in my safes that i dont hardly ever take out except to clean, i keep in individual zip lock freezer bags with a little oil. I use a vacume cleaner to suck all the air out then, and they are good to go. I do double bag them. never had a problem yet. i just keep all the original boxes in my closet stacked up to free safe space, so if i need it i just read my homemade lable on the side and then match it to the lable on the bag and i know its a match. ive got 3 full size safes now and i am getting ready to need another one. lol. i ran out of room in my house to keep them all safely hidden so i had to invade my father in laws basement, lol. i told my wife on our first date that guns were a VERY IMPORTANT part of my life and i will never get rid of any that i dont want to, and that if i got marrried it would be to a woman who accepted that and the fact that i would constantly buy more, or else she would be hitting the road. I married her and to this day my wife has never bi***ed one time about ANY of my guns or continued purchases. but i also make sure she has the niceties that she likes too. it wouldnt be fair for me to buy toys only for me. but she has afew guns too!!

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    After trying a number of different methods to store my handguns without using a lot of space, I settled on buying a gun rug (soft case) for most of my handguns and putting them on the top shelf of my safe like books in a book case. I leave the zipper open at the front end (the grip) so I can easily recognize which handgun is inside. The one or two handguns that are loaded, are not cased and I just slip between the other cases. I can get about 14 handguns on one shelf 28 inches wide by 8 inches high. There's room for one or two more in back, if needed. I haven't had any problem with corrosion, but I always wipe my guns down with an oily rag before storing. I like the fact the guns are fully padded and there's no way to bang one against the other. Also they are ready to throw in my range bag (although I do recheck they are unloaded before I do).

saw223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If you go the J-hook route, you can also plasti-dip the hooks to protect the finish on the firearms. A little can will do about a bazillion hooks, and it's also good for recoating tool handles, and about a couple hundred other uses. You can pick it up and any hardware store.

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have this:

Stack-On | Pistol/Ammo Cabinets

I mounted it to the wall behind the door in my bedroom closet. When you open the door it is hidden from view. It is also accessible while holding the door shut with your foot.(not the best panic room, but it's better than nothing) I have 8 handguns in it and everything on the top shelf is ready to go. Also gives some privacy(if there is children in the house)while gearing up for the day.

Note: I have a walk in closet, probably not a good setup in a small closet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom