• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Here's one I'd never heard before. A guy was saying that the best way to store ammunition is in a "water tight" military steel ammo box with a desiccant packet (agreed), but to make sure it is all stored butt-end up/bullet-end down - not "upside down" or on its side. I have no idea why this would be (and neither did he). Opinions? :dunno:

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Never hears of that but kind of makes since setting it like that so if it does get moister the water wouldnt lay on the primer and powder and soak it up. That would be my thought

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They're bullets, not small babies. Some people want to be anal about things (myself included), just not ammo storage.

Keep em dry and call it good.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've heard people who won't stack ammo very high because they think the weight will press the bullet in further than a recommended C.O.L, but not sure it matters which direction?

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    stuff it full and throw in some desiccant packs - call it a day.

here's a good question, for anyone that knows - about how much .223 will a 50 cal can hold? ive seen the number before but ive forgotten it.

IMG_20130101_152144.jpg

SPUTTER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    BEDFORD
    I use these cans all day for everything, tools, ties, string and ammo. i pack mine full and label the outside and set aside. when i start reloading this will be the way to go unless i can get good boxes to put them in.

I see ammo stored for years, right side up, upside down, on there sides and the still fire as came out yesterday.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Once upon a time I had an acquaintance that would buy his ammo in bulk...cases at a time. He'd bust it all open and then take finger nail polish and paint the primer and primer grove with a light coating. He was insane of course, but his reasoning for this was to seal the primers and keep them dry. He did this for all rifle and shotgun rounds. I have even seen some guys take their .22 LR rounds and give the tips a quick dunk in melted wax to help seal them....I never have enough ammo sitting around long enough to get wet.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI

here's a good question, for anyone that knows - about how much .223 will a 50 cal can hold? ive seen the number before but ive forgotten it.

If i guess the number do I get the ammo can and ammo in the picture?

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I have ammo stored in Midway plastic boxes - reloaded from this year up to 20+ years ago, some ammo in original boxes, some in ammo cans loose, some in spam cans, some in wooden cases, some in Tupperware type containers. some in bandoliers, some in magazines. Never had any problem, shot a lot of WW1 and WW2 ammo, worked like new (except some is corrosive). I have never used desiccant, even before I air-conditioned my house. Never had any corrode, do have some I bought with very lite corrosion probably stored in the past in a wet area, I inspect that and if it hasn't visible eaten into the brass, I have shot it with zero problems. As long as you keep it in a dry - fairly cool (under 100F) place, it is probably good for at least 100 years. I've shot a lot that is 50 to 80 years old and saw no difference from new.

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Ive never heard that before, but I will echo someone elses thoughts here. Keep them dry and you are good to go.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    A few weeks ago, I shot some ammo purchased in the 70's... They all went bang. Don't know where it was stored the first 3 decades, but for the past 5 years was in the trunk of my father's car.

As someone said.. it's ammo; not a baby.

Keep it dry. Go shoot it. The end.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

IMG_20130101_152144.jpg

In 50 cal. ammo cans I can put roughly 1000 .233: 1500 .40: 2000 .9mm and a just about 1000 .45.

Top Bottom