• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    There has been a great deal of disagreement over what exactly stopping power is. Will big and slow work better than smaller and faster? How about the work compiled by Marshall and Sanow? Of course shot placement will always be a significant factor as will the dress and constitution of the person on the receiving end of a bullet...and many other factors as well. Whats your take on it?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To paraphrase a statement going around the internet, after I shot you twice in the heart and once in the head do you really care if it was a 9mm or a .45 ???

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's an interesting activity. Looks like for knockdown power they are using an idea similar to the Taylor KO Factor.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Myth

Even direct heart shots don't kill instantly (ask any hunter) nor head shots (in general) however brain stem now we're talking. Now center mass is definently a better target then limbs. But don't think you will shoot someone in the little orange square and they will die or even stop right away, that's only Hollywood, just ask anyone who took my INGO Trauma Class.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Old discussion

The heavy/slow vs. light/fast debate has gone on for longer than most of the guys on this forum have been alive and some guy who is now 16 months old will repeat this when he's 45 (I hope).

Cliff Notes version of my opinion: I don't care if you're using a sledge hammer or a staple gun. If you miss, they're identical!

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Does the discussion of "knock down" or "stopping" power also go for rifles and rifle ammo, or are do the velocities that rifle drive their bullets add a different variable?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Does the discussion of "knock down" or "stopping" power also go for rifles and rifle ammo, or are do the velocities that rifle drive their bullets add a different variable?

Now we are talking! .50 bmg vs .223? sure. The discussion is a generalization between the most popular SD handguns. One could make the argument that the .380 is no comparison to the .460mag. This is true but the .460mag isn't a standard carry either. Rifles with velocity and weight differences is completely different, since it's expotenally greater than handguns. :twocents:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Now we are talking! .50 bmg vs .223? sure. The discussion is a generalization between the most popular SD handguns. One could make the argument that the .380 is no comparison to the .460mag. This is true but the .460mag isn't a standard carry either. Rifles with velocity and weight differences is completely different, since it's expotenally greater than handguns. :twocents:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't think anyone would compare the .223 to the .50bmg. But is it a good generalization to make when it comes to popular SD rounds that from 9mm to .45ACP that they are pretty much in the same ballpark in terms of real world stopping power?

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The bigger hole the better. Use the heaviest bullet in the largest caliber you can shoot effectively. There IS a difference in pistol calibers. It is small but important.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    Correct. As shown to us in the assault trauma class that RedneckMedic taught, the bigger the bullet the more internal damage may occur. The secondary cavity created by the shockwave of the bullet passing through material in the body can make a drastic difference in the amount of internal damage. With that said, the placement of the shot will drastically change what and how much is damaged in the assailant.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom