STOP ME! Is there AA for Impulsive Handgun Buying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I think I've been been infected with some sort of sickness. Six weeks ago I had lived 50 years without owning a gun. Since then I've collected the following handguns - all new. Smith&Wesson Model 60/3" Barrel, Springfield XD9sc, Kel-Tec PF-9. How do I overcome this overwhelming impulse to buy more guns? I haven't even started to buy holsters yet. Should I just relax and give in to this feeling? The wife is not going to get much for Christmas. I think I'm going to tell her that I am giving her the gift of peace of mind through self defense. Think she's gonna buy it? ;)
    100_5969.jpg

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think I've been been infected with some sort of sickness. Six weeks ago I had lived 50 years without owning a gun. Since then I've collected the following handguns - all new. Smith&Wesson Model 60/3" Barrel, Springfield XD9sc, Kel-Tec PF-9. How do I overcome this overwhelming impulse to buy more guns? I haven't even started to buy holsters yet. Should I just relax and give in to this feeling? The wife is not going to get much for Christmas. I think I'm going to tell her that I am giving her the gift of peace of mind through self defense. Think she's gonna buy it? ;)
    100_5969.jpg

All you've had are the sniffles, wait till you get the flu.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    There is really only one solution to help you avoid this impulse! You must rid yourself of all the evil items that remind you, and trigger the urge to buy. Fortunately for you , I still have enough room in my safe to hide these from you. Oh, and dont forget the ammo either! Glad I could be of some help!

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    As far as holsters go, you'll think you have the perfect one until you see the next perfect one and then the next and the next and the next, you can see where this is going.
    As for taking your guns to BIG TIM, he'll just talk bad about you to them, so I'll keep them for you and don't forget the ammo like he said and they'll need a steady supply each month. :D

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is no cure. It is hopeless. The only thing you can do is try to ration your purchases, but even then it is impossible.

Stay away from auction sites like Gunbroker
    Stay away from gun shows
    Stay away from gun stores

IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You need to talk to Techres. He is forming a support group for your problem. However, I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic about the prognosis for your condition.

Doctors say that marijuana is a "gateway" drug to heroin, cocaine, and other harder drugs. Your handguns are mearly the first sign of a long-term addiction! They are "gateway" guns.

The next step is BRD or "Black Rifle Disease." You will find yourself helpless as you stare at the unending choices of rifles, calibers, and accessories. There is no cure, only on-going purchases to keep the pain of withdrawl away.

Some variants of the disease include "C&R Obesession" where you can't stop filling your gun safes with old rifles. "Precision Compulsion" drives you to spend enormous amount of money to tighten a 500 yard shot by half an inch. Some sufferers turn to reloading as a way to administer small, continual doses of therapy but it only turns worse as they search for ever-more arcane variants of long-lost cartridges.

The final and most heart-breaking stage is when the addict turns to the dreaded NFA fix. Even in the face of overwhelming regulation, governmental resistance, and immoral taxation, the sufferer is compelled to purchase objects at high prices. Even worse for them, they often have to wait 10 or even 12 weeks between the time of purchase and the delivery of their medication. It's very sad indeed. VUPDBlue, BigCraig, and Shooter521 hold occasional group therapy meetings to help those poor souls suffering from the curse of the NFA.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more uplifting. There is one small silver lining...you are joining a large and growing group of fellow travelers who will gladly help you each dream of, design, and find your next 'fix'!!! :ar15:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm sorry I couldn't be more uplifting. There is one small silver lining...

Remember to just keep telling yourself that it is all for a good cause and that you are the gun owner who is living the life that "speaks truth to power" by bringing the "forbidden" into the light of day for all to see it and know that we should have never lost them to begin with. (ALL OF WHICH IS TRUE!)

But know deep down it is really the eternal chase for a new "boomstick" that makes the last one seem tame! Sure, you will have those perfect firearms that never get old (P22) but then again, they are only perfected by that next bump (Gemtech suppressor).

Lovemywoods is absolutely on with his note that LTCH -> BRD -> NFA!

The only problem is that is not an end. The next step is long range shooting. NFA is fun, but, then again, what about .50 or other large bore at 600-1000 yards?!

Oh, yeah!

Good luck....

Last edited:

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You need to talk to Techres. He is forming a support group for your problem. However, I'm afraid I'm rather pessimistic about the prognosis for your condition.

Doctors say that marijuana is a "gateway" drug to heroin, cocaine, and other harder drugs. Your handguns are mearly the first sign of a long-term addiction! They are "gateway" guns. ~snip~

that was a great post :D

rep'd

LoveMyRuger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Southside Indy
    Also infected but relieved

I can't tell you how relieved I am to read this!! I'm not kidding in the least when I say I was really getting worried because I spend WAY too much time on INGO and researching my next purchase(s). I'm 56 and I've bought my first five guns in six months!! I have the next two picked out: a 380 and 9mm......I'm REALLY hoping to hold out on those....I don't NEED them!!
    For this "illness" I'm blaming my friend who took me shooting in March, my baby brother who's competing with me, my work husband-friend who talks guns with me every day and Greg at my favorite store: Beech Grove Firearms. Oh, yeah....all but one are INGO members!

Top Bottom