• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok.. Long story short (sorta). I purchased a replacement recoil spring guide assembly from Midwest Gun Works, received it, then went to the range yesterday to break it in. The original is in perfect working condition but has just over 10k rounds on it, hence the replacement.

After shooting maybe 20 rounds with the new spring, the slide started to lock back without feeding the next round. It was not doing it on every round so I assumed it was due to the new recoil spring being tight and cheap (CCI blazer which is what i have been shooting without issue) ammo but unfortuately I was mistaken (NooB).

I was tired of practicing tap, rack, bang so I went to put the original spring back in to finish my range session. When I tried to do so, the take down lever would not stay down and had to hold it in place to remove the slide. The front portion of the stop lever spring broke off and the take down lever slid right out of its housing along with the broken piece of the spring.

I just purchased the pistol on 9/01/11 so I am sure I am still within a warranty period but would this type of thing be covered? I found the part on MGW for $5 so I am not sure if I want to pack the gun up, ship it to FN, and wait for what I assume will be a few weeks for it to get back to me if it is a ten minute job to replace. Also, this was purchased through Davidsons so the firearm has their life time guarantee.

This is my first real problem with the handgun(or any firearm) so I am unsure of the best course of action to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I'd call FN to see if you can get them to ship you a replacement part free. If they want you to ship it to them, I'd just decline and buy the part for $5. No sense in sending the whole gun in for a $5 part.

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks, I will do so. I am concearned about the installation of the spring though. Looking at the diagram there are many things to take off then back on in order to get to it. My ideal solution is if a local shop would have this part in stock and they could put it in but that might be a needle in a haystack and an expensive needle at that.

Last edited:

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Huge +1 to Dave at Hillside Shooting Sports. He graciously stole the spring needed from another FN they had there and put in into my FNX. It is my only sidearm and he took pity on that fact.

Top Bottom