• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It is time to start pounding our representatives to pass a bill to preempt any law in Indiana requiring any background checks more stringent than that required by federal law.

I realize that some will say we need to roll back the gun control laws now on the books, a nd I agree, bu right now let's concentrate on stopping the push for universal background checks.

My rep is Lonnie Randolph I will contact him but he will not be leading the charge.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am sorry, I am not tracking?

Is there a comment from a member of the General Assembly or remark from Gov. Pence that has you concerned?

Clue me in, blue.

Indiana had a UBC from 1974 to 1998. It did absolutely nothing to prevent crime. It was so feckless that the General Assembly repealed it.

I cannot conceive the General Assembly trying again what was such an enormous failure in the past. If they do, I shall have much fun mocking them.:D

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Is there a comment from a member of the General Assembly or remark from Gov. Pence that has you concerned?

Clue me in, blue.

Indiana had a UBC from 1974 to 1998. It did absolutely nothing to prevent crime. It was so feckless that the General Assembly repealed it.

I cannot conceive the General Assembly trying again what was such an enormous failure in the past. If they do, I shall have much fun mocking them.:D
    :+1:

A link?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...My rep is Lonnie Randolph...

Here's the thing- in order to implement background checks more stringent than the feds, the General Assembly would have to pass a law and the Governor would have to sign it (or have his veto overridden).

To have a law "preempting" such a law, the General Assembly would have to pass a law and the Governor would have to sign it (or have his veto overridden).

You see the problem here? The General Assembly cannot pass a law that makes it illegal for the General Assembly to pass a different law in the future.

...unless the state constitution is amended....and do we really want a state constitutional amendment leaning on federal gun control for support?

The absence of a law requiring anything more than the feds is all we need (in the state) and it's what we have.

BTW- if I lived in State Senate District 2......well....I'll just leave that alone and enjoy the drive home to rural Porter County tonight after work.

Last edited:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

Clue me in, blue.

I think the OP might be trying to say that we need the General Assembly to craft a law prohibiting a I594 style initiative from being passed by Indiana voters.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bobby, now I am really confused, Indiana has no such initiative process. That is something that the hairy-chested West does. We do not.

It's all well and good to be concerned about anti-civil rights legislation, but we should sit down and take off our shoes and study the mechanics of government first.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is this the issue? It?s Time to Discuss the Bloomberg Problem | Shall Not Be Questioned

Ok, the ballot initiative process is legal in the West where "direct democracy" is manifested (e.g. the different California Propositions). There is no authority to have such a process in Indiana.

If you want to defend your rights, focus on the upcoming General Assembly session and join the gun rights group of your choice. Politicians may not know much, but they can count.

As well, take time to study how Indiana government works. It can be interesting and one will have a better understanding of where one needs to expend effort and time.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Bobby, now I am really confused, Indiana has no such initiative process. That is something that the hairy-chested West does. We do not.

It's all well and good to be concerned about anti-civil rights legislation, but we should sit down and take off our shoes and study the mechanics of government first.

Hmm, I did not know that! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    the beauty and the aggravation of our system of government is we CAN'T pass a permanent law all laws CAN be changed at any time with enough votes

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    the beauty and the aggravation of our system of government is we CAN'T pass a permanent law all laws CAN be changed at any time with enough votes

Well that's a more elegant way of saying what I was trying to get at...with too many words.

We can effectively pass laws through judiciary decisions that are pretty well permanent unless you can get constitutional amendments passed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well I agree with you in concept, but that's not "passing" a law...that's just making up a law because some people in robes think it's a good idea.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Semantics. It's still a law. Or has the effect of a law. And though, technically is still applies to johnwhite's assertion because "enough votes" can still overturn it, it is a much higher hurdle to overcome than those passed by legislation.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

And this is why we MUST push forward with ALWAYS standing up for our rights; and limited government; Training the NEXT generation(S) in the workings, concepts and understanding of our REPLUBIC, liberty and individual responsibility.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A lot of this political fear is the operation of Kirk's First Law of the Internet, if it is the law of Texas, it is the law everywhere.

Apparently I need a course in laws of the internet,since I've never heard of this one. And it being the "First" law implies there are others. Is there an online course or maybe a podcast?

That law may need reformulating as "If someone thinks it is the law in Texas..." since hardly anyone outside of Texas (a great many inside) seems to have any grasp of what the law actually is in Texas. :)

When I first saw the thread title, I assumed some sheriff was trying to require an expanded background check for LTCH or something.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently I need a course in laws of the internet,since I've never heard of this one.

Take any on-line discussion of firearms on the Internet and Texas will come up. Thus people believe that the laws of all states are modeled after Texas.

Let's take a look at a typical on-line gun discussion:

MasterBlaster1981: "Hey, guys, I just got my gun license here in NorthWestern East Dakota, is it legal to open carry or do I need to conceal and carry in East Dakota?"

BigHatYahoo830: "In Texas it is HIGHLY ILLEGAL to open carry."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Kirk. Thanks for the short course.

I have been seeing initiatives on this issue pop up around the country and was ignorant of the fact that Indiana could not be attacked in this manner.

It is a good policy to surround yourself with experts.

Please accept my thanks, school master.

PS if you ever need a cripple jack rafter cut call me.

Top Bottom