Stippling a Glock - good or bad for resale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Thoughts/opinions on this from fellow INGOers. I've got a new G36 that's my EDC that I purchased because it fits my hand so well, among all the other reasons. For some reason the Gen 4 texturing is just working on my mind real hard, though. I had a Gen 3 G19C I'd traded for (and since sold like a dummy :() that had a nice stippling job done on the grip, which allowed the slipperier-than-a-Gen 4 Gen 3 gun to just lock in my hand:

Since the G36 is essentially the same setup I'm really considering this.

HOWEVER, I often (ha! Understatement!) sell or trade guns as my perceived needs/desires change, and, though the G19C sold without issue, I'm concerned having stippling done to the G36 would adversely affect its value to someone. Given how prevalent stippling seems to be, though, is it really a detriment, or a bonus to the next owner?

Thoughts, INGO?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Depends on how it is done, if it looks/feels like crap I'll keep looking since there are a few other Glocks for sale. If it looks nice I don't think it would hurt the value.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Myself, I would not pay but maybe $100.00, tops for a gun that this was done to. I really don't get it, if people don't care for the grip feel on a gun why did they buy it in the first place? Put on a grip sleeve on it or something, don't destroy a gun by doing this please.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't yet, but I would have no problem stippling my carry gun. It's a tool that I carry around all the time.

But, I would never trade my EDC tool that I modified to help me be a better shooter. I would trade my other range toys instead.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I will not buy a gun that has stippling. I think there are many that feel the same way, so to answer your question, it will hurt the value.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I would say neither. It doesn't hurt or help the value, it will change your pool of potential buyers certainly, but as for value, it's probably a wash. Some, like me, love a well stippled glock grip, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a glock just because it had a stippled grip. I would of course need to inspect it prior to purchase to ensure it was quality work and left the firearm functional, but again no hesitation on looking at it or considering it for purchase.

Why is it, do you think, that you change your firearm so much? Maybe that's the question you need to answer, then stippling your grip will be irrelevant.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If it's an EDC or a gun that you carry every now and then and you want to be more comfortable with the gun that you are trusting to help defend your life, stop thinking about resale and do what you have to do. If it's a range gun that you don't carry, but jus use for shooting games, don't do it. Sell it now and get something that fits better.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would say neither. It doesn't hurt or help the value, it will change your pool of potential buyers certainly, but as for value, it's probably a wash.

This.

I sold a stippled G19 with no problems. The INGOer who bought it liked the stippling, and went on to further modify the gun to fit his specific needs.

If you're concerned about resale value or potential then I wouldn't make any modifications. Only do so if you're making the gun more useful to yourself.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I think it would hurt resale or drastically narrow down your buyer base. I own 6 Glocks none stippled, and wouldn't purchase one with any permanent modifications.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would say neither. It doesn't hurt or help the value, it will change your pool of potential buyers certainly, but as for value, it's probably a wash. Some, like me, love a well stippled glock grip, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a glock just because it had a stippled grip. I would of course need to inspect it prior to purchase to ensure it was quality work and left the firearm functional, but again no hesitation on looking at it or considering it for purchase.

Why is it, do you think, that you change your firearm so much? Maybe that's the question you need to answer, then stippling your grip will be irrelevant.

This is where I am at as well. You will narrow your market (as any permanent customization will), but if it is a quality stippling job, it won't kill your market. You most likely won't get more out of it due to the modification.

I've seen some of the posts on the guns the OP has sold/traded, etc in rapid succession and I must admit I don't get it. I'll admit I've traded some off over the years, but it was almost always going to a very specific direction and moving away from the days when I had a much wider variety of firearms.

Seems like you need to figure out what you are looking for in a gun.

If you are seriously contemplating selling/trading it, then I'd look for a less permanent solution. If on the other hand, you are saying, this gun meets my needs very well, but this modification will make it do so even more, then that is a different thing.

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I think it's like a modified car, and agree with others, it may not HURT it, but it doesn't help it and you cut down the potential buyers. I wouldn't buy one stipled unless I really liked how it was done, and it was CHEAPER than a stock one.
    So maybe..for me personally, it actually hurts value.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I'm in the "don't do it" camp. I've passed on a few otherwise fine firearms that were stipled. Some don't look bad, some don't look very good. It's just not my taste. Not sure what it costs if you have it professionally done, but I don't know that you would get your $$ back out of it. Talon grips can be removed. Stipling can't.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For an EDC that you have no intention of ever selling, stipple away. They are tools that should be modified to work best for us. But, since you are already thinking resale, don't do it. If you do, you limit the pool of potential buyers if it's done well and eliminate almost all potential buyers if done poorly. Take a look at Talon grips. They are inexpensive, work well, come in either rubber or sandpaper and are removable. I run the rubber ones on all of my Glocks and could not be happier with them.

Top Bottom