Still a wait to purchase without your Larry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think it still applies, but I have a nagging feeling in the back of my brain it has changed lately. Either it has or the voices in my head are messing with me again. :):

Does the 5(?) day wait before you take possession still apply for those buying a handgun without a LTCH in Indiana? I think it still does, but for some reason I have this nagging feeling it changed to "there is only a wait if the feds say 'deferred' (or whatever the term is) and dont follow up in X days with a 'denied' response to the dealer, regardless of LTCH status."

I've got my Larry, so I dont have to worry about it. I have a friend looking for her first handgun, and I'm not sure if she has hers yet and trying to advise her regarding traveling to get a better deal on a handgun. (Its not a good deal if she has to drive 2 hours each way TWICE)

Anyone?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    no waiting period...

Unless NICS gives you a delay.

In IN, the LTCH doesn't exempt one from NICS.

And having an IN LTCH doesn't automatically mean you pass NICS.

-J-

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    no waiting period...

Unless NICS gives you a delay.

In IN, the LTCH doesn't exempt one from NICS.

And having an IN LTCH doesn't automatically mean you pass NICS.

-J-

Correct. LTCH doesnt exempt you from the NICS checks. It never did. However...

In the past, NICS OK + Larry = Walk out the door with your purchase immediately. NCIS OK + NO Larry = "Feds say OK, but state law sez you cant have it for 5 days. its Saturday, so come back Thursday and you can take it home."

Thanks!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Other states have waiting periods (IIRC), but not Indiana. You pass your NICS, pay, on your way (with gun).

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Back in the 80's, if you had an LTCH, you bought your handgun and went on your way. If you didn't have one, there was a waiting period of 3 or 5 business days. This was before the NICS. I bought a pistol in 1988 and had to wait to pick it up. This was before I had an LTCH.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not going to source this, but to the best of my recollection...

The waiting period for Indiana (with an exception for Larry holders) predated the modern NICS check.

Once NICS came about (in the 90s), I believe the Indiana wait period was quickly repealed and it no longer made any difference if you had a Larry or not for purchase purposes.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Correct. LTCH doesnt exempt you from the NICS checks. It never did. However...

In the past, NICS OK + Larry = Walk out the door with your purchase immediately. NCIS OK + NO Larry = "Feds say OK, but state law sez you cant have it for 5 days. its Saturday, so come back Thursday and you can take it home."

Thanks!

Actually, that is incorrect. Prior to October 1, 2003, you could just show your LARRY and walk out the door with the firearm.

(Edited)
    The Brady Law went into effect on November 30, 1998. The Brady Law required ALL applicants to pass a background check through the NICS system. At the time, the Indiana LTCH was approved through the NICS system. The ATF accepted that as an acceptable alternative to the call in background checks. However, as of October 1, 2003, the ATF would no longer use the LTCH as an acceptable alternative. ALL applicants must pass a NICS check at the time of purchase. The LTCH no longer comes into play. Just need a valid government issued photo ID. (driver's license works)

As long as you pass the NICS check, you can walk out with the firearm that day. Whole process takes 20-30 minutes. (at least it SHOULD)

** I remember going to Fetla's in Valparaiso with my dad in '97 I think. He showed the guy at the counter his LTCH and walked out the door with his new firearm purchase. No background check conducted.

You can read the ATF open letter to Indiana FFL's RIGHT HERE dated September 15, 2003.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not going to source this, but to the best of my recollection...

The waiting period for Indiana (with an exception for Larry holders) predated the modern NICS check.

Once NICS came about (in the 90s), I believe the Indiana wait period was quickly repealed and it no longer made any difference if you had a Larry or not for purchase purposes.

Yep. I've had my Larry since the fall of 1990, So I havent had to deal with the waiting period for a couple years. ;) Since I havent purchased a handgun without one, I was completely in the dark on the current non LTCH purchase routine as it hasnt applied to me.

Thanks to all!

Top Bottom