• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Okay...I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm getting the AR bug. I've read a lot on the internet, been to the gun shops, fired a Colt AR-15, etc...but before I drop this much nickel on a gun, I need a bit more feedback.

1.) What is the BEST gun for the dollar I can buy?

2.) Which brand name (Colt, DMPS, Ruger S&W, Stag, etc) is the best value for the dollar...and will hold it's value over time?

3.) Are there any specific brands or models that I should stay away from?

4.) Should I consider the Ruger Mini-14 (or the Mini-30 in .7.62x39) as an alternative to the AR style rifle?

5.) I am wanting to be in .223/5.56 nato...but a few have suggested that I consider the .308/7.62x39 caliber?

6.) I'm wanting it for around the farm/defense...200-300 yards or so.

Any feedback I can get will help to make or break the direction I'm heading in as of right now.

Thank you to all for your feedback and help as I toward a new rifle.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    All good questions, and you will find lots of good info here.

In my opinion, based on owning one, is that the SW M&P15 is proabably one of the best values for the money. S&W obviously knows how to make a good gun, and apply a lot of the same QC techniques that other top manufactures like Colt will do.

A 16" AR rifle in caliber 5.56 (can fire both 5.56Nato and .223) with a 1x9 twist barrel will do you pretty good for just about anything you want to do with it. It will be plenty accurate out to 300yds, will allow you to shoot a wide variety of bullet weights, and will be light enough to pack if you need it for a HD/SHTF gun.

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    I bought a DPMS last year. I shot a few other brands. I got it because it was a little cheaper and would have extra money to spend on accessories . I am not the most experienced gun guy by far. I really like my gun. I have been thinking about building a new AR . Good luck.

Here are some reviews (DPMS is about halfway through i think)

YouTube - AR-15 Special

Last edited:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The S&W is a fine gun and there are a lot of variations to pick from. I have one, the basic gun and I like it alot. I like Colt and LMT too.
    Colt is one gun that will hold it's value better than many others.
    BCM is all the rage nowadays. I've heard a lot about them, how they are on par with Colt ect ect. I have no firsthand experiance with them.
    Myself, just personal opinion, I would not buy a DPMS or a Stag. You might as well throw Bushmaster in that group too.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally, I would stay away from a mini-14. Owned one at one time. I was in no way impressed. In terms of the cost. Not to mention, the cost of magazines. You are better off getting an AR. Magazines are cheaper. Not to mention, the choice of other caliber uppers. Also, a huge selection of aftermarket parts. For the price, Olympic Arms a great carbine for the money. Some, will say they are junk. Well, I have shot a Colt and a couple of Bushmasters. My Friends Olympic Arms performed just as well. If you do consider something in 7.62x39. You can not beat an AK in my opinion. My :twocents:

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Personally, I would stay away from a mini-14. Owned one at one time. I was in no way impressed. In terms of the cost. Not to mention, the cost of magazines. You are, better off getting an AR. Magazines are cheaper. Not to mention. The choice of other caliber uppers. Also, a huge selection of aftermarket parts. For the price, Olympic arms are a great rifle. Some, will sat they are junk. Well, I have shot a Colt and a couple of Bushmasters. My Friends Olympic arms. Performed just as well. If you do consider something in 7.62x39. You can not beat an AK in my opinion. My :twocents:

I sure do agree as far as the Ruger Mini 14. I have owned a couple and were down right disgusted with their accuracy or shall I say Lack of accuracy! They were all reliable but I HATE any inaccurate gun. I have not tried the new Rugers but I hear they are much improved. But you still have the magazine issue. IMO it is really hard to beat a AR. They have never been more reasonably priced either.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm actually leaning towards the S&W M&P-15 AR style rifle...Smith's reputation for firearms over the years is a large part of it as well as the feel of their rifle in my hands.

I've had several people recommend the Ruger Mini-14 to me...but everyone agrees that beyond 300 meters, it's worthless.

Thanks for the feedback so far...it's supporting my choice at this time.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Based on the preceding comments, I still would not have a clue as to what to buy if I were a newbie thinking about buy my first AR. Maybe he should ask about breakdowns and repair records to see which brands are the most dependable. I am definitely not a competition shooter and all of my firearms are probably capable of shooting better than what I get out of them. I own a couple of DPMSs and Ruger Minis and have no complaints other than the Minis seem to rattle a little. I do not get to shoot them nearly as often as I would like and can not provide any information on their durability. The magazines for the minis are a little expensive. I have several factory mags and they work just fine right out of the package. I also have some of the less expensive after-market mags and have had to adjust the feed lips with a set of long nose pliers to get them to work with varying results. Magazines for the AR are pretty cheap and found all over the place and just about any brand will function just fine, even the thermoplastic ones. I have not tried those 20 round $4.99 AR mags in CDNN from Canada, but might buy a few just out of curiosity.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I sure do agree as far as the Ruger Mini 14. I have owned a couple and were down right disgusted with their accuracy or shall I say Lack of accuracy! They were all reliable but I HATE any inaccurate gun. I have not tried the new Rugers but I hear they are much improved. But you still have the magazine issue. IMO it is really hard to beat a AR. They have never been more reasonably priced either.

Shot my dad's Ruger Mini-14 and it was pretty accurate out to 200 or 300 yards, and a much better value since he bought it so long ago, with the way their prices have increased now, I'm not sure I'd recommend it anymore... I think his was probably around $300 when he got it maybe 20 or 25 years ago, maybe less. At over $600 now... I think there are better options out there.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm actually leaning towards the S&W M&P-15 AR style rifle...Smith's reputation for firearms over the years is a large part of it as well as the feel of their rifle in my hands.

I've had several people recommend the Ruger Mini-14 to me...but everyone agrees that beyond 300 meters, it's worthless.

Thanks for the feedback so far...it's supporting my choice at this time.

The S&W M&P15 is a really good quality AR, I don't think you'd be disappointed at all with that choice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Okay...I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm getting the AR bug.

Congrats!

Before you do anything else, or spend any money, read this: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

1.) What is the BEST gun for the dollar I can buy?

IMO, the Spikes M4 or Spikes Mid-Length.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5LE2] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

They have almost all of the mil-spec features of a Colt, with a substantially smaller price tag. Other rifles in this price range may be good rifles, but they lack some of the standard features of the Spikes (most notably the more-desirable 1:7" barrel twist).

2.) Which brand name (Colt, DMPS, Ruger S&W, Stag, etc) is the best value for the dollar...and will hold it's value over time?

As far as holding value the best, probably Colt. I wouldn't let this be your deciding factor, however.

3.) Are there any specific brands or models that I should stay away from?

Although opinions vary, I personally wouldn't put my money in a DPMS, Olympic, Model 1 Sales, kit guns, or questionable home-brews.

4.) Should I consider the Ruger Mini-14 (or the Mini-30 in .7.62x39) as an alternative to the AR style rifle?

No.

5.) I am wanting to be in .223/5.56 nato...but a few have suggested that I consider the .308/7.62x39 caliber?

For your first AR, stay with 5.56. This will be a great caliber to get you acclimated to the AR weapon system. If you later decide to go AR-10 in .308 so be it, but you'll do it with the understanding of the extra costs associated with that system and caliber.

6.) I'm wanting it for around the farm/defense...200-300 yards or so.

The AR would be perfect for this. Adding a variable power scope like a Millett DMS-1 would offer you lots of flexibility.

Good luck!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've tried 3 Mini-14's and been unimpressed with accuracy of all. As a ranch rifle for under 100 yards, they were iffy. But the ones I shoot had many rounds through them as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I agree. I had mine probably 11 years ago. I have not fired a newer model. Still the mags are outrageous. Plus, you are going to have greater accuracy at a longer range, with the AR/M4 platform.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a mini-14 for years and thought about getting a second one, then last May caught the AR bug and got a Spike's Tactical $799.00. and I will never go back to the mini -14. Once you decide on a AR you will love it!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    All good questions, and you will find lots of good info here.

In my opinion, based on owning one, is that the SW M&P15 is proabably one of the best values for the money. S&W obviously knows how to make a good gun, and apply a lot of the same QC techniques that other top manufactures like Colt will do.

A 16" AR rifle in caliber 5.56 (can fire both 5.56Nato and .223) with a 1x9 twist barrel will do you pretty good for just about anything you want to do with it. It will be plenty accurate out to 300yds, will allow you to shoot a wide variety of bullet weights, and will be light enough to pack if you need it for a HD/SHTF gun.

Even further than that with practice. ;)
    31 years ago(:rolleyes:), I had to qualify with an M16 at a distance of 500 meters, with open sights!
    It may not be easy, but it is possible, and repeatedly so!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've been doing some more reading and I'm liking the Arma-Lite AR-15's as well. They are the original designer for the AR style weapon system and still make them.

Decisions...decisions....decisions!!!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I've been doing some more reading and I'm liking the Arma-Lite AR-15's as well. They are the original designer for the AR style weapon system and still make them.

Decisions...decisions....decisions!!!

Armalite may be the "original" designer but the Armalite of today is not the Armalite of old. Eagle Arms bought the name.......:twocents:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Google Code 4 LE Sales. Click Rifles in the Duty Weapons section.
    You should find the basic S&W there for less than $850.
    They sell to non-LE.
    Have your local dealer fax a copy of their FFL to Code 4.
    Clyde Armory might have them too.
    Clyde has the Colt 6720 Lightweight, which for most people would be a more practical carbine.
    Most people buy an M4 type gun because that's all that's in front of them, they don't know there's better options, or because an M4-type looks like what the Military uses.
    A lightweight profile barrel makes for a much better handling gun.

Forgot to say that if you order from Code 4 or Clyde Armory there is a credit card fee so it's better to pay with a money order ect. You can place your order/fax the FFl and they will hold the gun until the payment arrives.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom