• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Later this year , I want to move out of Indy a bit and I was thinking a steel pole barn might be the way to go .

I haven't researched it much yet but I think I can get a 4,000 sq. ft . building on slab , "garage area" attached , complete with "living space" (electric and pipes ran) for around 50 K .

Anyone know any builders or have experience with these ? Any pros or cons you can think of ?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Insulation and sealing it up to live in it. A house is built to live in and most garages are built for your car and lawn equipment to live in. Pay attention to those details and you should be OK.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Later this year , I want to move out of Indy a bit and I was thinking a steel pole barn might be the way to go .

I haven't researched it much yet but I think I can get a 4,000 sq. ft . building on slab , "garage area" attached , complete with "living space" (electric and pipes ran) for around 50 K .

Anyone know any builders or have experience with these ? Any pros or cons you can think of ?

If you think you're going to do this for $50k, you're dreaming. I have a 50x80 steel building with a full 5" floor. I've got about $60k just in steel, erection costs, and concrete.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    A good friend of mine built on as his toy box, it's nice! Water, electric, septic, insulation and he has over 100k in it. Now I have another friend that built a large pole barn and he lives in his motor home inside it. It's a pretty cool deal as well since he takes off to Florida in the winter and stays here in the summer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've got 3 16x12 insulated doors with no openers and 1 10x10 insulated door with opener. Those ran me about $8k. Easily a couple k for electric, especially if you hire it done. To have half the barn spray foam insulated is another $6k. That's not including any interior framing.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    OP what exactly are you wanting? A garage type building with a room above it? You will quickly find your 50k goes away fast. Also, don't forget about well and electric.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP what exactly are you wanting? A garage type building with a room above it? You will quickly find your 50k goes away fast. Also, don't forget about well and electric.

Septic to code on top of all that.
    If a house costs $125 thou. to build then you are in for a ride on this project. As stated up thread, the steel cost along is stupid expensive.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Septic to code on top of all that.
    If a house costs $125 thou. to build then you are in for a ride on this project. As stated up thread, the steel cost along is stupid expensive.

My 50x80x12 kit was about $25k alone. Budget $10-15k for well and septic.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yup....the battery powered saw-zall is a thieves best friend. You can come right through the freaking wall with one of those.

A lot of houses consist of a 2x4 frame with drywall inside and foam board with vinyl siding right over it outside. Literaly you could cut a hole through the siding, punch the insulation and drywall out and you're inside.

My whole house exterior is 6" of concrete. Unless my house was windowless, it's still vulnerable.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Do you need 4000 sq ft to start out? Post frame buildings are extremely easy to add on to. Just something to consider.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Do some work yourself and save some money. I know of a few people that live in pole buildings. Couldn't tell when you were inside. As with any structure you need to make it a living area. Find a kit and decide what you are comfortable doing yourself. Then find contractors for the additionals.

I have seen pole buildings that didn't have steel siding outside, in case that is a deterrent. Don't over state what you are capable of doing, as is common here, and you should be able to come up with something cheaper than a stick framed home.. Maybe not as nice, but if money is the concern, at least check into it.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I have been looking into the same thing for a while now. Here are some numbers that I have on a 36x80
    Steel shell 20K This is having it built by a local contractor. PM me for his contact
    Concrete floor 12K
    Well 5K
    Septic 7K
    Elec 10K (I have a long run to the road) I will also have generator backup
    Insulation 5K
    Woodstove with propane backup 12K
    Plumbing with fixtures 4K.

I think if I do the interior myself and hire some help to manage, I think I can still come in around 65 to 70k

As noted above, security is a concern so I have been looking for ideas to put in the walls from about 2ft to 7ft that would stop most bullets. I also hope to introduce steel bars to the windows that slide open and closed. I think I can do this during the construction phase without too much trouble. ALso, Intend to build Solid, hardwood, steel reinforced doors.
    Another feature I will share is a coopula. You see them all the time on top of barns now but most are decorative. I want one that is funtional as a lookout for observation and defense.
    Also, look into you permits and lending first. I can tell you that in my area, the county does not like what I have planned so they will force me to get creative to achieve my goals. Lenders are very shy these days and the banks I talked to dont like the barn with living quarters too well
    Hope this helps, I think its a great idea myself and I have been weighing the pros and cons for a while now.
    Good luck

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That's not a bad price for a turn-key building.

Since the real estate crash banks are very picky. The big boys won't touch me because I have too many loans out (rentals) even though everything is paid well in advance.

What I have found is that the small banks and credit unions are more apt to deal with odd situations like this. They look at the credit scores and then the people that are applying for the loan rather than just dumping numbers into a program and letting it happen.

Talk to a few small places. Get the info before you let them start dinging your credit history. Used to be that too many inquiries would lower that magic score.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    Better be able to pay cash. Getting a loan is extremely difficult.

I live in just a place like you describe. 40' x 80' pole barn with 1200' finished in one end. 3 14' doors with openers. Electric, well, septic.

I'm the 2nd owner. The bank I financed with is the same one that did the construction loan for the original owner. They were also the only bank that would loan to us. We had outstanding credit, more that 20% down. At the end of the day I think the only reason they financed us is that they were afraid the seller would just walk away if he couldn't sell. The wife and I were a good risk.

I am just finishing up building on a 1000' (24x40) addition. That only has a 4" insulated / vapor barrier floor instead of 5" in the rest. I hired the shell done, and the electric. I did the insulation, drywall and other finishes myself. No bathrooms or plumbing. The space is just an office / recreation area. That is costing me +/- $28 / ft^2.

If I had to hire it out completely I'm sure it would have cost me at least another $10 / ft
    ^2.

If I were budgeting to do this all over again from scratch I would plan on a minimum of $40 a ft^2. That doesn't get you anything nice. Just the bare basics.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Better be able to pay cash. Getting a loan is extremely difficult.

I live in just a place like you describe. 40' x 80' pole barn with 1200' finished in one end. 3 14' doors with openers. Electric, well, septic.

I'm the 2nd owner. The bank I financed with is the same one that did the construction loan for the original owner. They were also the only bank that would loan to us. We had outstanding credit, more that 20% down. At the end of the day I think the only reason they financed us is that they were afraid the seller would just walk away if he couldn't sell. The wife and I were a good risk.

I am just finishing up building on a 1000' (24x40) addition. That only has a 4" insulated / vapor barrier floor instead of 5" in the rest. I hired the shell done, and the electric. I did the insulation, drywall and other finishes myself. No bathrooms or plumbing. The space is just an office / recreation area. That is costing me +/- $28 / ft^2.

If I had to hire it out completely I'm sure it would have cost me at least another $10 / ft
    ^2.

If I were budgeting to do this all over again from scratch I would plan on a minimum of $40 a ft^2. That doesn't get you anything nice. Just the bare basics.

Unless you hit the lotto it is a labor intensive deal. Much to do on your own for it to be effective financially.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That's not a bad price for a turn-key building.

Since the real estate crash banks are very picky. The big boys won't touch me because I have too many loans out (rentals) even though everything is paid well in advance.

What I have found is that the small banks and credit unions are more apt to deal with odd situations like this. They look at the credit scores and then the people that are applying for the loan rather than just dumping numbers into a program and letting it happen.

Talk to a few small places. Get the info before you let them start dinging your credit history. Used to be that too many inquiries would lower that magic score.

Isn't that the crappiest thing? Four loan limit is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. BTDT, nearly strangled the loan guy for waiting until the last minute to tell us.

Financing is tightening up, that's for sure. One extreme to the other. And it all could have been avoided.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom