State Constitution Amendments, How They Are Done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In the aftermath of the Ohio constitutional amendment vote I looked up how Ohio constitutional amendments are done. From what I saw there is a minimum signature collection from specific territories to put it up for vote and 50% +1 and it is amended into the Ohio constitution. Seems a very low barrier and close to pure democracy.

As I recall to amend the Indiana constitution the legislature must pass the amendment, the people must pass the amendment, and the legislature must pass it a second time. Is this correct?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I learned this from SJR 1 last year. Amending the Indiana Constitution requires the resolution to pass both houses. Then it must pass both houses again AFTER the next State election. SJR 1 (Indiana Constitution allows for no bail with two crimes: murder and treason. Yes, treason against the State of Indiana. Whoever drafted our Constitution was looking at the NEW US Constitution, since its nearly identical) will have to pass both houses again in 2025 (after the election in 2024.) Then it will be on the ballot for the voters of Indiana.

FYI SJR 1 adds language for no bail crimes. I had significant concerns because of how vague it was (OK, so did Guy and some law professor he had on his show) so I did the research to testify in opposition. Get in there, Senator Koch goes over the amendment to make it much more specific... pretty much what I was recommending that it should say. Then I got called first to testify...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The Ohio constitution originally did not allow referenda at all. After a bitter 9 year fight led by clergy, and including the election of representatives specifically to aid the effort, the legislature passed the constitutional amendment allowing it in the early 1900s. It has been simple majority since its inception, the attempt to make it 60% failed in the August special election, likely because it was a transparent attempt to derail the abortion referendum

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Ohio constitution originally did not allow referenda at all. After a bitter 9 year fight led by clergy, and including the election of representatives specifically to aid the effort, the legislature passed the constitutional amendment allowing it in the early 1900s. It has been simple majority since its inception, the attempt to make it 60% failed in the August special election, likely because it was a transparent attempt to derail the abortion referendum
    That is too easy and too much like raw democracy. Poor planning coming home to roost…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I learned this from SJR 1 last year. Amending the Indiana Constitution requires the resolution to pass both houses. Then it must pass both houses again AFTER the next State election. SJR 1 (Indiana Constitution allows for no bail with two crimes: murder and treason. Yes, treason against the State of Indiana. Whoever drafted our Constitution was looking at the NEW US Constitution, since its nearly identical) will have to pass both houses again in 2025 (after the election in 2024.) Then it will be on the ballot for the voters of Indiana.

FYI SJR 1 adds language for no bail crimes. I had significant concerns because of how vague it was (OK, so did Guy and some law professor he had on his show) so I did the research to testify in opposition. Get in there, Senator Koch goes over the amendment to make it much more specific... pretty much what I was recommending that it should say. Then I got called first to testify...
    Thanks, that was what I remembered from the Daniels property tax reform…

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That is too easy and too much like raw democracy. Poor planning coming home to roost…
    I saw this in Florida when I was a resident/voted in that State. Get it on the ballot as a yes/no question, make sure your side was "Yes", shazaam the Constitution was amended. Next election? Getting rid of it was the "Yes" option...

Top Bottom