• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll have you know that I was planning on shaving my back this weekend. This weekend! What the continual attacks on me?

It was going to look cool Rhino.....

2626539.main_image.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We sometimes forget how blanks can be dangerous at close range.

Brandon Lee...

According to newspaper and magazine accounts, the scene in question was staged early in the morning of March 31, 1993, in Wilmington, North Carolina. The scene was the death of Lee’s character, Eric Draven, at the hands of street thugs, and was a pivotal plot element to the movie. Lee was to walk in through a door carrying a bag of groceries. Actor Michael Massee, who played Funboy, fired a revolver loaded with blanks at Lee. To complete the illusion, a small explosive charge was to go off in the grocery bag. Unfortunately, a fragment of a dummy bullet, used earlier in close-up shots, was lodged in the barrel, and the blank charge propelled the fragment into Lee’s side, fatally wounding him.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Brandon Lee...

According to newspaper and magazine accounts, the scene in question was staged early in the morning of March 31, 1993, in Wilmington, North Carolina. The scene was the death of Lee’s character, Eric Draven, at the hands of street thugs, and was a pivotal plot element to the movie. Lee was to walk in through a door carrying a bag of groceries. Actor Michael Massee, who played Funboy, fired a revolver loaded with blanks at Lee. To complete the illusion, a small explosive charge was to go off in the grocery bag. Unfortunately, a fragment of a dummy bullet, used earlier in close-up shots, was lodged in the barrel, and the blank charge propelled the fragment into Lee’s side, fatally wounding him.

Yeah that's a bit different.
    If you add a bullet to a blank cartridge that makes a live cartridge.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Fragment...I used to reenact (see avatar) and during the Battle of Blue Licks I had a buddy of mine shot at point blank range fortunately the flintlock misfired, "flash in the pan"...My buddy, a Vietnam vet, grabbed the guys rifle, threw him to the ground and told him if he stood up he would run him through...the park ranger saw it and pulled the guy from the field...He had never done it before and wanted to impress his girl...The Kentuckians were supposed to retreat and he stayed and fired a 100 grains of black powder 3 ft from my buddies cartridge box full of 26 paper wrapped cartridges totaling 2600 grains of black powder...He got lucky....I think I'm in here somewhere...

bl512.jpg

Yep...Right up front...

bl11.jpg

bl6.jpg

bl24.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We sometimes forget how blanks can be dangerous at close range.

Here's the big example of a fatality from the discharge of a normal blank. It's the expanding gases that do the damage at contact and near contact distances. That's how "bang sticks" that divers use on big sharks work. It's just a crimped blank, usually a .38 special or 12ga.

Jon-Erik Hexum
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

Death[edit]

On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional gun and blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.[SUP][5][/SUP]
    Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is a small explosion, so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP]
    Hexum was rushed to Beverly Hills Medical Center, where he underwent five hours of surgery to repair his wounds.[SUP][6][/SUP] On October 18, six days after the accident, Hexum was declared brain dead. With his mother's permission, his body was flown to San Francisco on life support, where his heart was transplanted into a 36-year-old Las Vegas man at California Pacific Medical Center.[SUP][7][/SUP] Hexum's kidneys and corneas were also donated: One cornea went to a 66-year-old man, the other to a young girl. One of the kidney recipients was a critically ill five-year-old boy, and the other was a 43-year-old grandmother of three who had waited eight years for a kidney. Skin that was donated was used to treat a 3½-year-old boy with third degree burns.[SUP][8][/SUP] Hexum's body was then flown back to Los Angeles. He was cremated at Grandview Crematory in Glendale, California, and a private funeral was held. His ashes were scattered in the Pacific Ocean, near Malibu, California, by his mother.
    Hexum's death was ruled accidental.[SUP][9][/SUP] His mother later received an out-of-court settlement from 20th Century Fox Television and Glen A. Larson Productions, the production team behind Cover Up.[SUP][1][/SUP]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom