• ...and so much more!
  • dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I'm thinking about a starter bike. I buddy has a 2011 CBR 250 R
    6 or 8k miles for between 2000-2500. He bought it new and is looking for payoff.
    Good Idea? Price? etc. I've seen and read good reviews as far as reliability etc.
    Should I do the ABATE class?
    thanks

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Take the ABATEA class first.

250 is a great starter bike. Ninja, Honda etc. Don't go cheap on the protection. Good helmet, gloves etc. Then ride and have fun.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Good bike. Decent price.

Go for it!

In other news, I think I ought to start a group called "Big Guys on Small Bikes"- Over 6' and 200# on bikes 500ccs and less.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sounds like a pretty decent price. The MSF course is a very good thing.

This is all good advice. I haven't ridden the Honda 250, but the Ninja 250 is actually pretty quick and fun to ride.

From some I've talked to, they like the Honda CBR250R more than the 250 Ninja (they do like both though).

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    It's all in the riders head. I can drive a bmw 1000rr as slow as I wanted. It's not unheard of for someone to want a bigger motor soon after getting comfortable with the bike. Remember no matter how perfect and safe you drive , people don't see you. I always drove like I was invisible.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Great advice so far. ABATE is a great idea. The price is right and if you make a mistake, you drop their bike not yours. Dropped bikes cost money to repair.

As far as gear goes just remember to dress for the slide not the ride. I wear boots, long pants and a jacket regardless of the temp. My jacket has zip off inner sleeves as well as the front and back panels revealing mesh. It still had the elbow and kidney pads for protection.

I wear a helmet all the time (My head my choice)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You will probably get tired of it on a week. I bought a starter bike and returned it in three days and took a loss. A 650 is probably the algal lest I would recommend, especially if you are an average sized man.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    my experience with people who are new to riding. they buy a small bike like that and end up wishing they had bought something bigger fairly quickly.

Those small bikes can help a new rider actually learn to ride. Lots of experienced riders love getting on those small bikes to test their limits during track days. Those small bikes will get up to speed quick and run 90+. Buy something reasonable, learn to actually ride, move up to a bigger bike in time, and keep the small bike to enjoy for track days.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Definitely take the course.

The Ninja 250 and CBR are both excellent machines. But you will outgrow them pretty quickly.

Look for a Suzuki SV 650. It has little to no body work if you happen to let it hit the ground, has plenty of torque for advanced riders but not twitchy like one of the inline 4's. Very forgiving bike with good ergos.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Those small bikes can help a new rider actually learn to ride. Lots of experienced riders love getting on those small bikes to test their limits during track days. Those small bikes will get up to speed quick and run 90+. Buy something reasonable, learn to actually ride, move up to a bigger bike in time, and keep the small bike to enjoy for track days.

Great advice.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I took abate last year in july and bought a shadow 500 in august. Its a nice bike for an 85 was easy to pick up when I laid it down in a gas station parking lot, after hitting some gravel while turning. Easy fix for the mirror and turn signal and no other damage.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Meh, jump on a 1000cc machine and twist the throttle. You'll either learn how to ride very quickly or not at all.

But seriously the CBR 250 is a good starter bike. Go for it and definitely take the ABATE classes. 650 is a good all around cc range but you may or may not want to upgrade from that as well depending on what kind of riding you find you enjoy the most.

Be safe and have fun. That is what it is all about.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Thanks everyone, looks like the ABATE classes are pretty full. Maybe i can get in on standby.
    As far as the bike, I'm just looking to have a little fun, learn how to ride properly,get 70 mpg :)
    and for around 2k I felt like I couldn't really lose even if I sold it after one season. I'm not getting a loan.
    Quite a few people from my church ride and I just want to enjoy the road and open air.
    :ingo:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    As others have said, find a motorcycle class (ABATE, MSF, something). I took a weekend class at ISU in 2008. Also, if you are a big guy, don't start on a little bike. I learned on a 250 something. It was okay for the class since they provided the bikes, but having ridden a 2001 883 Sportster, a 2006 1200 Sportster, a 2010 Victory Vegas and Kingpin and a Kawasaki KLR 650 (all friends or dealer bikes), I was at ease on the Victory Vegas. It weighed about 660 pounds, but didn't feel it. It also had a 106 CI motor, so it could get up and go when needed. When I get a bike, if I can find a used Vegas, I will be getting one. On top of being easy to ride, I shouldn't have to upgrade bikes to go on long road trips.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I bought an older Kawasaki 650 a few years ago. It was a nice bike and all but I'm 6'2", 270# so it was a little small for me IMHO so I didn't ride it much. I eventually sold it and bought a Harley Wide-Glide. Fits me much better and it's a nicer machine, again JMO. Plus I ride in the Harley Owners Group (HOG) now.

I didn't take the ABATE class but I did take my skills test through them. I went to their website and found what they tested on and set up my own course in an alley beside where I work. I practiced the course a whole summer before I took the test. It was early, dark, cold, and rainy the day I took the test. Thankfully I passed the first time. Been burnin' up the road ever since!

Top Bottom