May 19, 2013
    New Castle

kwood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Sellersburg
    man, i would hate to be in a situation like that.
    I pray that both families of the parties involved are able to get through this tragedy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground" does not mean you have to shoot someone on your property, but sometimes it's almost like some people think that.

He should have stayed inside.

I don't care that much if I'm locked inside and someone is outside in the yard...at least I don't care enough to go out there and expose myself to greater danger. Regardless of the law, I'm not taking a life unless it's absolutely necessary....nor am I going looking for a confrontation at night, even if it's in my own yard.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know, I wasn't there but I have to tell you, after reading the article, my first sympathies go towards the old man. The sheriff indicated Hendrix had no doubts he felt threatened, so it's probably "a good shoot". But....

"Mr. Hendrix has to live with his actions for the rest of his life."

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    In this case it is a real tragedy as the old man was not a threat after we know the facts ( the shooter did not and I think it was a good shoot but very wrong)

If he shot a gangbanger it would be like that is one hillary wont get in 2016

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Befuddle? You are befuddled by the great warrior king, and Chris Costa's great uncle (he even had the ubertactical facial hair), Chef from Apocalypse Now???

Maybe if I was a hot blonde holding a gun it would help? View From The Porch: The nightmare before Christmas.

Don't go running around the yard in your ubertactical Mickey Mouse underwear and prison shower shoes. Bad stuff is going to find you and you may need the shower shoes for real.

Why step in dog s**t when you do not have to?

Stay inside the boat (your house). Lock the doors. Turn on the outside lights. Call the boys dripping in qualified immunity blue or brown.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One's subjective feeling of being threatened is only part of the analysis.

Right. I'm with you and Kirk on this.

It's not surprising a person might go see what's causing a commotion on his property. I can easily imagine I would be likely to go check out what the ruckus is/was. That seems reasonable. But we don't know lots of the other parts of the Scenerio here like, how scary was a 72 year old Alzheimer's patient, were the circumstances such that the homeowner felt he had to do this to prevent grave bodily harm, etc.

ETA...it's not until you've stepped in the dog poop though that you realize you would have been safer in the boat.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I understand that the circumstances may put the shooter on legal footing, but I have a lot of questions in my mind. 72 y.o. versus 34 y.o. Was the older man visibly handicapped? Was lethal force really necessary? Things would probably have been much different in the light of day. Then again, maybe all the shooter could see in the dark was a faceless, silent silhouette advancing toward him. But then, why did he go outside? Very tough call. How tragic for everyone.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I understand that the circumstances may put the shooter on legal footing, but I have a lot of questions in my mind. 72 y.o. versus 34 y.o. Was the older man visibly handicapped? Was lethal force really necessary? Things would probably have been much different in the light of day. Then again, maybe all the shooter could see in the dark was a faceless, silent silhouette advancing toward him. But then, why did he go outside? Very tough call. How tragic for everyone.

Yeah, 72 vs 34... I wonder how sympathetic people would be if the shooter was one of the boys in blue?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    One's subjective feeling of being threatened is only part of the analysis.

Yes. There's the all important "reasonable person" standard, also known as the objective standard. Generally stated, would a reasonable person in those same circumstances believe that he was in imminent danger of death or severe bodily injury? It's a hard question to answer, and based on what little I know, and in my humble opinion, I could see this going to a jury.

Top Bottom