• ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    I've been very pleased with my model 1.
    I bought it two years ago. Its been as reliable and accurate as my Rock River or bushmaster I've owned or been issued. Unless I go looking for something unique or for a specific purpose, my next AR will likely be another Stag.

Stay safe

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    What is the quality of the Stag Arms AR15 guns?

Stag makes parts for so many AR makers, I think you might be hard pressed to find a brand that doesn't use them.

I have a Stag lower and LPK on one of my builds and it is as good as can be. I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I came so close to buying a Model 3 at Dick's until they became Dick's.

I have friends with them, and they swear by them.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Stag, Colt, and Rock River lowers are all made by CMT (not to be confused with CMT TAC). Their parts are in a large number of rifles other than their own. That being said, other companies obviously trust them enough to put their own name on a Stag product.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    As said before they are high quality. Plus they make left handed models which is a huge bonus for me

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have a Stag M2, had it just over a year. If you go with a Stag, I don't think you will disappointed. Here is a link to a thread I started about my Stag.

Here is a more recent shot.
    StagM2WithXDmWeb_zps5252a05b.jpg

Also in the shot is my XDm Compact 9mm.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Stag, Colt, and Rock River lowers are all made by CMT (not to be confused with CMT TAC). Their parts are in a large number of rifles other than their own. That being said, other companies obviously trust them enough to put their own name on a Stag product.

Sorry but this is not true by any means. Unless you work for Colt and have witnessed this firsthand, I wouldn't be spreading this rumor since this is the internet where everything is true.:D I have a Stag Model 1 and also a Colt and there is a noticeable difference. I'm sure Mvician will come along and chime in on the subject. I have heard though that S&W lowers and some of RRA lowers are manufactured by CM(Continental Machinery). Again, this could also be a rumor. With that being said, Stags are very good for a Tier 2 rifle and I have never had a single malfunction to speak of as of yet.:ingo:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Sorry but this is not true by any means. Unless you work for Colt and have witnessed this firsthand, I wouldn't be spreading this rumor since this is the internet where everything is true.:D I have a Stag Model 1 and also a Colt and there is a noticeable difference. I'm sure Mvician will come along and chime in on the subject. I have heard though that S&W lowers and some of RRA lowers are manufactured by CM(Continental Machinery). Again, this could also be a rumor. With that being said, Stags are very good for a Tier 2 rifle and I have never had a single malfunction to speak of as of yet.:ingo:

So unless I work for Colt, there's no possible way to know this? You might want to do a quick Google search. Countless threads on multiple forums stating Stag/Colt lowers both made by CMT. Your lowers might not be both made by CMT. Colt would only contract out to keep up with production, I know the majority of their work is done in house.

Direct quote from a CMT employee. Will have the pic up shortly.

** IF YOUR LOWER HAS A CM BEFORE THE SER# IT WAS MADE AT Continental Machine & Tool.HERE IS A FEW WHO USE THEM TO MAKE THEIR STUFF
    COLT*
    FINN
    ROCK RIVER
    OLYMPIC
    CENTRY ARMS
    MOST OF THE COMPANIES HAVE JUST SMALL PARTS FROM THEM , AND SOME JUST THE LOWER AND UPPER RECEIVERSNOTE BELOW IS A NOTE FROM A GUY THERE;

I was told about you at the Hartford Gun Show a few hours ago. Way to go! I run Q.C. at Continental Machine & Tool in New Britain Ct. We're the biggest AR-15/M-16 manufacturers in the world. We make the M- 16 for Colt's (everything but the barrel and plastic), all the Rock River weapons, bolts and selectors for F.N., uppers and other nifty stuff for everybody in the business except the "crap merchants". Ed Foster
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=139620

sig1473, try not starting off with the flamethrower next time.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    So unless I work for Colt, there's no possible way to know this? You might want to do a quick Google search. Countless threads on multiple forums stating Stag/Colt lowers both made by CMT. Your lowers might not be both made by CMT. Colt would only contract out to keep up with production, I know the majority of their work is done in house.

Direct quote from a CMT employee. Will have the pic up shortly.

** IF YOUR LOWER HAS A CM BEFORE THE SER# IT WAS MADE AT Continental Machine & Tool.HERE IS A FEW WHO USE THEM TO MAKE THEIR STUFF
    COLT*
    FINN
    ROCK RIVER
    OLYMPIC
    CENTRY ARMS
    MOST OF THE COMPANIES HAVE JUST SMALL PARTS FROM THEM , AND SOME JUST THE LOWER AND UPPER RECEIVERSNOTE BELOW IS A NOTE FROM A GUY THERE;

I was told about you at the Hartford Gun Show a few hours ago. Way to go! I run Q.C. at Continental Machine & Tool in New Britain Ct. We're the biggest AR-15/M-16 manufacturers in the world. We make the M- 16 for Colt's (everything but the barrel and plastic), all the Rock River weapons, bolts and selectors for F.N., uppers and other nifty stuff for everybody in the business except the "crap merchants". Ed Foster
    CMT Lower Receiver with Globe logo: made by Colt? - AR15.Com Archive

sig1473, try not starting off with the flamethrower next time.

:scratch: Can't really follow your sentence structure.
    FINN-Never heard of these guys? I'm guessing FN....
    Centry Arms-Once again who are they.....If they mean Century Arms, then their ARs aren't very good.

I'm definitely not stating a flame war as I guess you were implying, but to quote a person from CMT who obviously can't even spell is a path in the right direction:dunno: I've been on way too many gunboards where "so-called" experts claim something that is 100% false, but will pound sand until they choke on it. You can have your own opinion and that is fine. We can just agree to disagree.;)

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    :scratch: Can't really follow your sentence structure.
    FINN-Never heard of these guys? I'm guessing FN....
    Centry Arms-Once again who are they.....If they mean Century Arms, then their ARs aren't very good.

I'm definitely not stating a flame war as I guess you were implying, but to quote a person from CMT who obviously can't even spell is a path in the right direction:dunno: I've been on way too many gunboards where "so-called" experts claim something that is 100% false, but will pound sand until they choke on it. You can have your own opinion and that is fine. We can just agree to disagree.;)

Sorry, trying to post on my cell while at work. Ed Foster was the head of QC for CMT and here's the link to Finn (small company). About Us

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Colt buys raw forgings and finishes them in house.
    That's why you will find them marked (uppers) with something like the Cardinal head or AF or the Cerro "keyhole" and then a C. Only recently have the forgers been marking the lowers.

The early S&W lowers were made by CMT

Colt may or may not have been supplied with finished lowers from CMT at some point in time.

:twocents:

Just because CMT makes a lot of parts for the AR, it doesn't mean the each part is made the same way for every company. Each company specs what they want.

Stag is the commercial outlet for CMT, and I'm sure they have set their own specs. Stag rifles are a great value.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Colt buys raw forgings and finishes them in house.
    That's why you will find them marked (uppers) with something like the Cardinal head or AF or the Cerro "keyhole" and then a C. Only recently have the forgers been marking the lowers.

The early S&W lowers were made by CMT

Colt may or may not have been supplied with finished lowers from CMT at some point in time.

:twocents:

Just because CMT makes a lot of parts for the AR, it doesn't mean the each part is made the same way for every company. Each company specs what they want.

Stag is the commercial outlet for CMT, and I'm sure they have set their own specs. Stag rifles are a great value.

Precisely. Just because the raw forgings come from CMT, doesn't mean Stag makes the Colt lowers. When comparing my Stag Lower to my Colt lower, the Stag actually has a cleaner finish. On the flip side, my Stag doesn't have a MPI/HPT bolt like my Colt which comes standard. The main things to be concerned when buying an AR is the barrel and the bolt.:twocents: Like I stated in my earlier post, Stag makes a pretty good AR.:ingo:

Top Bottom