• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't have any experience with the Springfield, but it usually gets good comments around here.

My buddy has the SR1911 and it has been a terrific firearm and a pleasure to shoot as well as being very reliable.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If you go with the Ruger... Check kygunco.com they have both the full size and the commander... and they also have a special edition Navy Seal SR1911

942255_540866629285630_653477515_n.jpg

Ruger SR1911 Navy Seal Foundation 45ACP Pistol 5in Walnut Grips

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Ruger is a nice Stainless steel piece. I am pretty sure the range officer is blued only but it has an adjustable rear sight. If an adjustable sight is important to you, milling the slide on the Ruger and buying a good sight is a healthy cost. If blued is ok with you, the Range Officer is ready to go. Good Luck

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have both:
    RO has better fit, is tighter, & has been 100%
    SR1911 Is more loose, but also 100%

If my memory serves, $625 for SR1911, $750 for RO (traded a Sig P2202), so $750 is iffy.

I prefer the SR1911, for me, it just shoots a little better.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Range Officer. No questions asked. Ruger doesn't know how to make a 1911. They may work but fit is laughable

Ive seen a Ruger go back to the factory twice. Rebarreled and reslided both times and it still shot to the left and inconsistantly at that plus the frony sight fell off right out of the box. Ruger doesn't fit parts for their 1911. They just throw them together

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I have two Springfields, plan on buying another at some point.

No experience with a Ruger other than not being very impressed by the few I've handled at the gun store.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I love my SR1911, and the parts fit well and tightly. It shoots great and has been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo. Plus, it is American made, not by a company that uses a classic American name and builds them in South America.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I'm extremely happy with my Ruger. Only thing "loose" about it is the grip safety has a little wobble to it but that honestly doesn't bother me, it doesnt affect anything.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I love my SR1911, and the parts fit well and tightly. It shoots great and has been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo. Plus, it is American made, not by a company that uses a classic American name and builds them in South America.

AFAIK, Springfield discontinued the Brazil models due to quality control issues and they're all USA made now.

Another good 1911 for the money are the Para Ordnances, made in NC now and run pretty much the same.

Too bad this thread got moved or deleted, it was a nice one about Ruger and their Customer Service on a 1911:

1911Forum

I know, the link doesn't work anymore, maybe using the waybackmachine it will. Thread number 422307

Basically how a hammer notch broke on a SR1911, a guy sent it to Ruger, they shipped it back unfixed. Shipped it back again with a more detailed letter and picture of the break, they shipped it back unfixed. Shipped it back a third time, hammer taken out, and the chunk circled with permanent marker, Ruger shipped it back again, unfixed, with the broken party saying how he voided the warranty for taking the gun completely apart.

So yeah...

On that note, if you have any work done to your Kimber by a qualified gunsmith or done by yourself (say a throat job).You void the warranty. So you can polish your own feedramp in 5 minutes and void the warranty, or send it to Kimber, pay for them to do it and be without your pistol for a month. Not related, just wanted to post it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its pretty rare to see anyone with a bad word to say about Springfield 1911s. Rugers are good for the price point and will probably do everything you ever want to do with a 1911, but the Springer is the better gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Its pretty rare to see anyone with a bad word to say about Springfield 1911s. Rugers are good for the price point and will probably do everything you ever want to do with a 1911, but the Springer is the better gun.

I have owned a few RO's and always let my friends talk me out of them. I have 1 at this time. For the price it is the best 1911 out of the box available. It is right on point accurate, Runs flawlessly, fit and finish is very good and I would put it against any out of the box Ruger 1911. No knock on the Ruger they just do not hold a candle to the RO. Every Ruger I have fondled lacks in fit and finish.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I've sold quite a few of each. Customers who have never owned a higher priced 1911 give a lot of positive feedback on the Ruger. Customers who've owned a few quality 1911's will generally choose the Range Officer. I've yet to find a sloppy slide to frame fit on a Springfield Range Officer. Numerous manufacturers jumped on the 1911 bandwagon when the 100th anniversary rolled around but a good 1911 requires proper fitting in addition to quality parts. Of the two choices, I'd go with the Springer.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Nice to know Springfield is making them in the US now. I haven't seen one yet. But, the reason given for the change makes the Brazilian ones that are earning such praise suspect, doesn't it? Maybe too many were being sent back.

As for Ruger CS, their reputation is one of the best in the industry. EVERY company has had a horror story. Every one. My anecdotal experience with Ruger CS has been perfect. I've never had to send any of the 8 Rugers I have owned back.

My bet is that you'd be happy with and be well served with either one.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have a Range Officer and can testify it is FAR more accurate that I'm capable of. I wouldn't say it's a great carry gun due to 5" barrel, weight, and Bo-Mar rear adjustable sight. For a target gun with great fit/finish I think it is excellent. Many purchase this gun, I am told, for entry level IDPA or USPSA shooting.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Well, took everyone's advice and comments into consideration and ordered a Range Officer. I found one (new) for $750, which I didn't think was too bad.

Now, anyone interested in a RIA 1911?

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Top Bottom