• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    OK, I'm at wits' end with squirrels. About 18 months ago, I noticed something had been scratching at my front door. The door is metal, so there's no damage. But the door jamb is wood, and it's torn up pretty badly at this point. At first, I thought it was raccoons, but I finally caught the squirrels red-handed a few months ago.

Last month, I bought a pellet gun and started taking them out. (I work at home now, so it's pretty easy to catch them. I can hit them without even leaving my desk.) I've killed 8 or 9 of them so far, but the squirrels who move in to take their place start scratching on my door almost immediately. I've held off repairing the door jamb until I know they won't tear into the new one.

I talked with the neighbors, and the tell me they haven't been feeding them. Nor are the squirrels tearing up their doors... just mine.

Can anyone recommend a solution? I'm going to keep shooting them... hey it's trigger time. :-) But is there anything else I can do?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a "Psycho Squirrel" that will come to the front porch and challenge me to fights! If I didn't live in the city I'd pop his butt!

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Take some crushed cayenne or habanaro pepper, mix with vegtable oil and paint some on the door jamb where they are chewing. That should make them lose their taste for your door.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Take some crushed cayenne or habanaro pepper, mix with vegtable oil and paint some on the door jamb where they are chewing. That should make them lose their taste for your door.

Agreed. This will work. Does such a good job that it is
    sold in powdered form at most big box outlet stores.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    leave a dead one layin in the doorway for a couple days the others will get the point.

You know, I wondered about that. I actually hit three one day and left them out there for a few days (before the heat wave). After a couple days, two bodies were gone, and the third was mostly gone. I assume the raccoons or crows took them.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a "Psycho Squirrel" that will come to the front porch and challenge me to fights! If I didn't live in the city I'd pop his butt!

Even in the city, you could shoot them with your air gun, just don't do it if there are children around.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Look around to see if they are leaving signs for each other to follow like these.

signs1.gif

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Call the squirrel cops, sounds like criminal trespass to me...

I really like the various pepper recipes..

Top Bottom