• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was cleaning my Springfield RO last night and decided to put on the new grips that I purchased a couple weeks ago and forgot about. I took the screws lose on one side and the bushings came out with the screws. I tried to hold the bushings with my fingers while turning the screws. They were in too tight so I tried to hold it with pliers and the bushing slipped in the pliers stripping the threads off.

The other side was fine as the bushings stayed in the frame when the screws were removed. I am now in a dilemma as the gun in not in an operable condition with two bushings messed up. I put the gun away until I can call Springfield.

I called Springfield this morning to explain my issue and request the replacement screws and bushings. They said they could send out the bushings and screws. The customer service rep asked me how many I needed. I only needed two sets of screws and bushings but I thought about getting two spares. The CSR then asked me how I wanted to pay for the screws. I responded "Pay", This is a warranty issue. They guy went to talk to a supervisor and came back and said that they would waive the $10 shipping fee so the cost would be $16 for the screws. He said it wasn't a warranty issue as I was removing the grips to change them. I told him that I didn't agree but would pay the $16 to get the screws and bushings, as I had to have them.

I told the CSR that I did appreciate them eating the shipping cost, but he needed to let his supervisor know that I would be posting their reply to my fellow INGO brothers and sisters to let them know how Springfield treats their customers. He said he would pass it along. Not sure if he will or not. I will follow up and use Kyle's name in the email to Springfield though (Kyle probably answers incoming emails).

Hindsight is 20/20 but could I have put some blue or red thread locker on the bushing and replaced it for twenty four hours to cure then try to remove the screw? Should I use thread locker on the bushings when I replace them? What about the screws, thread locker on them? If I do use thread locker should I use red on the bushings and blue on the screws so the screws come out and not the bushing?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you grab the bushing with a pair of pliers they will most of the time pop free.....just grip them tight enough to hold them and don't let the slip or it tear up the threads...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even the vaunted Colt has this issue. Needle nose pliers and be gentle with the threads. Screws will come free. Thread retainer (very light duty) and replace the threaded retainers. Let loc agent set up. Return grips to gun. Do not tighten the screws down beyond reason. If the screws show resistance when being threaded in they or the retainers are messed up and should be replaced. I have had this issue a few times with new guns of all marques.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I was cleaning my Springfield RO last night and decided to put on the new grips that I purchased a couple weeks ago and forgot about. I took the screws lose on one side and the bushings came out with the screws. I tried to hold the bushings with my fingers while turning the screws. They were in too tight so I tried to hold it with pliers and the bushing slipped in the pliers stripping the threads off.

The other side was fine as the bushings stayed in the frame when the screws were removed. I am now in a dilemma as the gun in not in an operable condition with two bushings messed up. I put the gun away until I can call Springfield.

I called Springfield this morning to explain my issue and request the replacement screws and bushings. They said they could send out the bushings and screws. The customer service rep asked me how many I needed. I only needed two sets of screws and bushings but I thought about getting two spares. The CSR then asked me how I wanted to pay for the screws. I responded "Pay", This is a warranty issue. They guy went to talk to a supervisor and came back and said that they would waive the $10 shipping fee so the cost would be $16 for the screws. He said it wasn't a warranty issue as I was removing the grips to change them. I told him that I didn't agree but would pay the $16 to get the screws and bushings, as I had to have them.

I told the CSR that I did appreciate them eating the shipping cost, but he needed to let his supervisor know that I would be posting their reply to my fellow INGO brothers and sisters to let them know how Springfield treats their customers. He said he would pass it along. Not sure if he will or not. I will follow up and use Kyle's name in the email to Springfield though (Kyle probably answers incoming emails).

Hindsight is 20/20 but could I have put some blue or red thread locker on the bushing and replaced it for twenty four hours to cure then try to remove the screw? Should I use thread locker on the bushings when I replace them? What about the screws, thread locker on them? If I do use thread locker should I use red on the bushings and blue on the screws so the screws come out and not the bushing?

Blue loctite on the bushing, never red. I never use anything on the screw itself.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    CM you gave me great advice about the SA RO. The trigger is awesome and it is a tack driver right out of the box. It will shoot circles around my Glock 41. I love the gun but just a little disappointed in their CS.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    They also make a wrench for the bushing.
    imgplay.php

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM you gave me great advice about the SA RO. The trigger is awesome and it is a tack driver right out of the box. It will shoot circles around my Glock 41. I love the gun but just a little disappointed in their CS.

I have only used CS one time and they were sterling. Sorry you had the issue.
    If you have any other problems PM me and I will help if I can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does the screw ever loosen up on you? Mine have and had to tighten them.

I have found them loose before. If it is a repeat issue a drop of clear nail polish (just enough to wet the threads) and that gives just enough resistance to rectify this.
    I always buy new screws and grips so with that I might be eliminating some of this.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I don't understand how this was a warranty issue. The gun was fine until you ruined the threads. I think the outcome was very fair. That's just my :twocents:.

No offense just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not a warranty issue, you boogered it up.

I had the same thing happen with a Smith SW1911. I got lucky and did not booger up the bushing to badly. It did manage to booger up the grip screw a bit. I completely shredded a grip screw on my Wilson.

Reminds me that I need to buy an extra set of grip screws and bushings to keep around.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't understand how this was a warranty issue. The gun was fine until you ruined the threads. I think the outcome was very fair. That's just my .

No offense just my opinion. I'm sure others will chime in.

Not a warranty issue, you boogered it up.

I had the same thing happen with a Smith SW1911. I got lucky and did not booger up the bushing to badly. It did manage to booger up the grip screw a bit. I completely shredded a grip screw on my Wilson.

Reminds me that I need to buy an extra set of grip screws and bushings to keep around.

I was wondering how long it would be before the it's all your fault crew jumped in. You guys do INGO proud. Thanks for not letting us down.

Ok now lets move on to people that actually have positive suggestions instead of opinions that nobody asked for. Thank you CM, SP and Ghitch for the positive suggestions. You guys never let us down.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom