• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GA82832

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    I have always wanted a 308 springfield M1a but never bought one cause i start asking myself. Would I use it, are they really worth 1400 dollars...LOL Wondering how many guys that have them actually used them or do they just become a item in the safe to look at. LOL Ammo isnt cheap these days just to go shoot a couple hundreds rounds at paper targets. But there is something about just having one that makes me think about trying to get one. LOL

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I'm with you on this. I'd LOVE to own one, but have no practical purpose for one. For any scenario that I can think of for me, I already have a tool that would be better suited for the job than the m1a. I'm afraid I'd buy one (lots of $$ too) and it would only get handled twice a year.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And dont forget care and feeding is double the cost of an AR. I too struggle with the same. I think the rifle itself is worth the money. But shooting it? :spend:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've had two, got this one right before Sandy Hook. I like shooting it way more than any other rifle I own. The key to being able to enjoy one is to take the time to learn the reloading quirks surrounding this type of rifle. Shooting accurately also becomes more meaningful since it does cost a bit more than a boring AR, so you want to make every shot count, which in turn will lead one to more of a Rifleman's mentality than the routine blasting done with other semi-autos. I am happier shooting 20-60 rounds through this rifle than 200 through the old AKs I owned and my AR became a safe queen in short order. And be warned, these rifles can easily become an obsession.

If you value quantity shooting over quality shooting then this rifle is not going to be your cup of tea.

Standard M1A, made in 2012. Wearing early Type 1 Sacks walnut stock, Hawk dummy lock out kit, replaced neutered flash hider with correct military style, and replaced trigger, hammer and appropriate pins with GI Garand surplus from SA.

ETA: This rifle has successfully put hits on an 800 yard target by 3 separate people, without any accurizing work done on it.

Last edited:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I didn't know a valid reason was needed to purchase a new firearm? :dunno: I do not own one, nor have I fired one, but it's on my short list of rifles to own. They have soul. Average AR has no soul.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have always wanted a 308 springfield M1a but never bought one cause i start asking myself. Would I use it, are they really worth 1400 dollars...LOL Wondering how many guys that have them actually used them or do they just become a item in the safe to look at. LOL Ammo isnt cheap these days just to go shoot a couple hundreds rounds at paper targets. But there is something about just having one that makes me think about trying to get one. LOL

GA, I have owned 3 M1A'a since 2000. Like you, I had always wanted one. They are truly awesome rifles and they just ooze with history. Nothing personal, but an AR would have to get on a step ladder just to kiss the a$$ of an M1A. Just my opinion though. Now for the "however". They are not cheap to feed. When one goes out to shoot them, one most generally goes through no fewer than 300-400 rounds during a trip to the range. That gets expensive. Yes ,reloading is an option for some. For me it was not (limited space) that is just me. To answer your question. In Indiana "no" there is no real use for one except "plinking". ...again 300-400 rounds average per range visit. Fun? You bet!! "But there is something about just having one that makes me think about trying to get one" My sentiments exactly when I wanted one. Thing is, having one after awhile becomes much like owning any other gun.It is just there. You look at it in the safe. Take it out on occasion and "fondel" it then put it back. I no longer own one because feeding it just became to expensive for me. I have other guns I can shoot alot without going broke and I get just as much satisfaction from owning and shooting them. Hope this gives some insight. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's a sexy beast. You need at least one. I have 3 stocks so it feels like I have more M1As than I actually do. With a couple tweaks they can shoot ~1 MOA with factory ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    15-20 mags a range visit? Did you do mag dumps or just camp out on the range?

I was wondering the same thing. Unless I am shooting a match, which is 88 rounds, I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds on a informal range visit with any rifle. I usually just verify my 200 and 300 round zeros. Either can be accomplished with 10 rounds at each yard line. Anymore is just superfluous.

Although I have to admit, I usually verify zeros on several rifles in a day.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I got mine in June 2012, paid $1394 with delivery, then $20 for transfer. And it has been worth every penny!

When I was in the Army back in the day, for four years the only rifle issued to me was an M-14. My M1-A now has a real M-14 stock on it, and the California muzzle brake has been replaced with a mil-spec flash suppressor/bayonet lug. It feels, looks, shoots, sounds and smells just like the M-14s I shot in the service.

When you walk onto the firing lane with one of these, everyone wants to be your friend. Or the M-1A's friend. They want to hold it, and point it down range, and talk about it being on their short list. Sometimes I will ask someone, "Would you like to shoot it?" I'll put a 5-round mag in and had it over. You should see the smile on their face when they finish the five rounds.

Round up the money, and look for one. It will become your favorite, even if you don't shoot it all the time.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Not exactly the same thing, but I've been lusting for a SOCOM 16 as a truck gun. The balance when you hold them is perfect to me. They aren't pretty, so no need to worry banging up your nice walnut. They're short enough to move, but still have enough velocity with 150 grainers to take care of just about any 2 or 4 legged problem from zero to "at that range it isn't self defense anymore."

Now, I would love to have a match m1a as well. I shot some match M14's mated with Leupold MK IV's down in Arkansas. After firing M4's for two solid weeks out to 600m, shooting those m14's was like shooting fish in a barrel. And you were rewarded with a much bigger bang. I was determined to make a 600m kneeling shot with one. It took me 20 rounds, lol, but that isn't the rifle's fault. We were shooting them prone to past 800m, and they were more than up to the task.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like mine!
    So far I've only change the stock from the factory wood to a USGI wood,and the neutered flash hider to a USGI.
    I got mine in 2011/2012. I think I have about $450 in mine. $10 raffle ticket from the SW Michigan friends of the NRA, and since I'm from Indiana I had to pay sales tax and a transfer fee.
    Look in my album on here, I've got pics of it with the winning ticket.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Not exactly the same thing, but I've been lusting for a SOCOM 16 as a truck gun. The balance when you hold them is perfect to me. They aren't pretty, so no need to worry banging up your nice walnut.

And you can buy cheap surplus stocks and not even worry about beating up the beat up GI stock. I have 7 stocks for mine, including 2 GI fiberglass stocks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If I could afford a nice one, I'd get one in a minute.
    When I was in the Navy, the M-14 was still our standard issue rifle, and we had not a single M-16 or M-4 of any sort on either of the two ships on which I served.
    Our M-14s were rock solid reliable, demonstrated by thousands of rounds fired through various rifles without a single malfunction.
    Yes, they were a bit heavy, but there's something really special about a solid forged receiver and walnut stock (some also had the fiberglass stock) that instilled total confidence.
    We even had two on each ship with the interesting little gizmo (called a "selector switch") up in that little space reserved for it on the side of the barrel on the forend with the little letter "F" on it.
    Just for the fun of it, I requested (and received) permission to load up fifteen rounds in one of those so equipped and proceeded to empty the mag in one trigger squeeze.
    Impractical?
    You bet, but my chief just about had to send me to the hospital just to remove the smile from my face.
    It's a wonderful gun, and any AR-15/M-16 or AK variant isn't fit to hold an M-14's jockstrap.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I bought an m1a a few years ago and was having similar doubts about buying such an expensive rifle. After much mental debate I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought an m1a with a wooden stock and a National Match barrel. I have never regretted it. It's a very fine rifle and performs flawlessly. You won't regret it.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    GA, Just a thought. Camp Perry in Ohio used to have a Springfield Armory sponsored M1A match. You could buy one and compete? If they still have the match? Again just a thought on what to do with it along with just casual shooting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom