• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    So I'm in the market for a Springfield 1911, the stainless mil-spec version in particular... but NO ONE has them in stock.

Is there something I need to know? I don't get it.

The dealers I've been to say "we're in the Springfield dealer program, and get what we get, can't order one, and we won't look it up in the computer"

main-1772.jpg

I want a stainless one, because I figure it's gonna wear better, and I'd like to keep this for a long, long time. I was looking at the mil-spec because it's pretty basic, but its a step up from the GI style models as far as a lowered ejection port, polished feed ramp, and throated barrel.

I've got around $650 to spend, so if anyone's got some suggestions on what or where to buy, please LMK.

Last edited by a moderator:

jespol227

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Saw one tonight :)

Hey- I just drooled over this gun tonight!

It was at: Precision Arms in Columbia City.

Call them if you want it- he'd probably hold it back for you. I don't have the number handy but I'm sure it's listed.

It sure is nice! I had the chance to shoot this a few weeks back and fell in love! I have to admit that it is on my wishlist but until I have the cash...I'll just have to wish!

Good luck- I will be jealous if you get it! (but happy for you too!)

Jessi

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Keep an eye on Gunbroker.com, I've gotten a couple of guns off of them. Just need to make sure when you bid to remember the total cost you pay will include shipping and paying your dealer to do the transfer. Good luck.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    You guys think this one is a good option... never had a 1911 before. I've just developed this completely irrational (or is it?) desire for one. I sold my 9mm rock island, because I figured it'd be super easy to find a reasonably priced 1911.

I've been looking at gun broker, but I guess I'm a little scared to buy from there. I don't have a problem buying a gun sight unseen, but so many of these Springfield 1911's are mislabled. The lower GI model is often posted as a mil-spec. I've looked at them enough to see the difference at a glance, but it still worries me. Shipping and FFL could really tear into whatever 'deal' I'd find on gunbroker or gunsamerica.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Looks like a fine pistol to me, nothing irrational about that.
    Firearm tranfer cost me $50.00 at the local gunshop.

$50!!!! Ouch!!!

Phil502 try Great Lakes Shooter (glshooters@gmail.com) he has a home biz based out of Portage and does FFL transfers for $20. I have used him and he is OK. Others INGO NWI members have also used him as well. That is where I got the info from.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Hey- I just drooled over this gun tonight!

It was at: Precision Arms in Columbia City.

Call them if you want it- he'd probably hold it back for you. I don't have the number handy but I'm sure it's listed.

It sure is nice! I had the chance to shoot this a few weeks back and fell in love! I have to admit that it is on my wishlist but until I have the cash...I'll just have to wish!

Good luck- I will be jealous if you get it! (but happy for you too!)

Jessi

Just an FYI on Springfield 1911s. They have a GI version sometimes called the GI Mil-spec version which is their basic gun and can be bought for around $575. The next step up is their "Mil-spec" version and it usually costs $700+. The one at Precision for $625 is the GI version even though they will call it the Mil-spec. Gunbroker is notorious for having these mis-listed. I think most of the time dealers don't know the difference when they are describing them. The true "Mil-spec" version will have slanted slide serrations like the picture the OP posted. The "GI" version has verticl slide serrations. The "Mil-spec" version has a few upgrades (better sites, polished feed ramp, etc...).

Just an FYI... so you can verify which one you are getting. Don't buy the "GI" version for $625 thinking you are getting the "Mil-Spec" version. Both are great guns but I prefer the upgrades that come with the "Mil-Spec" version.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    Well I found one.

There was a gunshow locally, and there was one springfield stainless 1911... So I bought it :D

It was a 'Loaded' model, which is nicer than what I was shopping for.. but it was the same price as the mil-spec! It was at least $100 cheaper than I've seen them anywhere online and $150 less than I could find them in shops locally.

Never seen a deal at one of these local gun shows before, so I jumped on it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom