• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Anybody have any experience with spray foam?
    I'm considering insulating an attic ceiling to convert to living space.
    Any recommendations appreciated.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    I had the ceiling of my 24x40 garage spray foamed to seal it from the living space above. I realty like it and would spray the entire house if I could afford it. Totallyfoam.com is who did it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have icynene in my house. My only exterior wall that isn't concrete is foamed, all attic spaces, some of the interior walls, and the underside of the 2nd floors for sound deadening. My wife doesn't think it helps with sound deadening because she complains about all the noise my daughter makes upstairs. We have all hardwood floors and haven't had experience in a similar house without the foam to see if it really helps.

It's supposed to be way more efficient than standard bats. The nice thing about it is you don't have to vent your attic spaces and your attics are way cooler than conventional insulation.

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    We have 100x120 with 17 foot side wall farm shop that has it in the side walls and is the best investment we made in the shop. Warmest I have seen it during the summer is 82 degrees with no air conditioning and it stays about 50 degrees in winter with heat from pex pipe running one wall going to the office area. No drafts and very good at reducing outside noise.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's a pic of the attic during construction. The first places you notice snow melt is where the trusses are. My roof holds snow way longer than a conventional house.

3970e510.jpg

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Brother had his garage closed cell foamed.
    Spray foam adds a bunch of rigidity to the structure . The installers also said that if you were to spray inbetween the joists in an attic, that you could walk on it.

The picture above looks like open cell foam. I'm not sure of the differences other than open cell expands way more.

Top Bottom