Spotting Scope: Mine sucks @ 200 yds, recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    First, yes it was $100, so knew it wasn't awesome, & not complaining, just looking for something better:
    What I have: Vanguard, High Plains 461.
    Quick Review: Pretty good @ 100 yds, great @ 50 (yeah, I can't see 5.56 holes w/ binoculars @ 50).
    At 200yds (shooting .308), even with shoot-n-c, I could barely see hits. (Had to be close to center, wind not blowing, planets lined up w/ no gravity). On silhouette targets, forget about it.

Any recommendations for spotting scopes that aren't >$600 (lower is better)

200yds is furthest range available, I'm enjoying the learning curve, but jogging down to confirm hits is no fun. Shooting off bipod only on table.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    First, yes it was $100, so knew it wasn't awesome, & not complaining, just looking for something better:
    What I have: Vanguard, High Plains 461.
    Quick Review: Pretty good @ 100 yds, great @ 50 (yeah, I can't see 5.56 holes w/ binoculars @ 50).
    At 200yds (shooting .308), even with shoot-n-c, I could barely see hits. (Had to be close to center, wind not blowing, planets lined up w/ no gravity). On silhouette targets, forget about it.

Any recommendations for spotting scopes that aren't >$600 (lower is better)

200yds is furthest range available, I'm enjoying the learning curve, but jogging down to confirm hits is no fun. Shooting off bipod only on table.

You should really narrow your search down to 2 options.

This option is huge, but optically its not bad
    Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm Tripod Photo Adapter Soft Case

This option is compact, and optically superior to the Konus
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 20-60x60 Angled

You dont have to spend a fortune for a 200yd spotting scope, but you do have to spend your money wisely.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've used that konus at 1000 yds, as well as many other spotters, and I can tell you for a fact its light years in front of the 200 dollar competition. I could usually pick up vapor trail with it, but its defintally not top or even mid tear optics. It's the king of low end spotters.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    vette talked me into the konus a while back and I still have it and still use it... one of the best bang for the buck purchases in the optics world IMHO

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Another +1 for Konus. I picked mine up a few Black Fridays ago from Midway, and it works great for the price I paid for it. A few of the service rifle people I shoot with have them as well. They are a great budget optic.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the 90's, I spent the money for a Kowa with a LER (Long eye relief) eyepiece. They are excellent. Even with .308 bullets and the best scope, Bullet holes on paper targets are not visible by 300 yards due to natural mirage and blowing dust in the air.

I am in agreement, the big Konus has pretty good optics, especially for a $300 scope.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    KOWA Scopes
    Kowa

The high power community has relied on Kowa scopes for a long time, They are very hard to beat optically and in rugged, Don't forget you need a good stand or the scope is useless and a tripod does nothing for the shooter but get his legs caught in the legs of the tripod Optics are expensive and you get what you pay for, If your not going to live with a spotting scope then go cheap, If your going to count on it for the next 20 years don't go cheap.

Jim Owens Scope Stand  -  Improv

Freeland's Heavy Duty Tripod : Freeland HD 1" Tripod Stand

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    One of the guys on a goat hunt last month brought that Konus spotter, and eventually ditched it in favor of the backup Theron Saker I brought along. It is might still be sitting in a trash can at airport S34 if you are out that way.

If you are just peering through the thing in good light to check for bullet holes you'll likely not notice, but using it as a spotter reveals the advantages of ED glass.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have a B & L Elite 20 x 60 x 80 and it is pretty decent with its ED glass. A good friend of mine has a Swarovski with the same dimensions and it makes my B & L look like a toy. One day last fall, I was out at Eagle Creek with him birding around the big gravel pit. I looked through the Swarovski across the low water sandbar west of the gravel pit across the lake to the other side and could clearly see a beetle walking up an 8" live tree. No lie!! I felt like tossing my B & L in the water. I have another $250 spotting scope to use when bench shooting. You really do get what you pay for.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For the OP, I was in a similar position. When I got into shooting a couple years ago, my father in a wonderful act of kindness and knowing I inherited his eyes gave me for my birthday a Barska 20-60 spotting scope (probably cost @100). I tried to use it for one season from 25yds to 200yds and it was awful. It was extremely dim at full zoom lacked clarity and defenition. When I had the chance I knew I needed an upgrade.
    After looking at the various optics in my price range of <$300 I decided on the Leupold SX-1 Ventana. I have used it now for a full season and very much like it. It is clear and bright with good contrast even at full power. I can see .22 holes at 200yds easily & could probably see them on light paper much further away if I had a range to stretch out that far. I would recommend you at least take a look at it. I know its not the best spotting scope under $500, but for $250 it was just right for me.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I've been considering the Celestron. It gets good reviews but I haven't found one I could actually look through yet. For the price I'm considering giving it a try though.

Top Bottom