• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Eh, spiders generally won't hurt you. With that said, I still don't like them. But I leave the small ones and identifiable safe ones inside my home alone.

Though in Southern Indiana we still have some big spiders from time to time. Wolf spiders namely.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Clicked the link but didn't wait for the video to load. I'm not sure why everything has to be videos these days when a couple pictures and a few paragraphs would do just as well. When I was in Australia there were some funky spiders. Luckily, I only saw them outside as some are so big I'd have tried swimming back to the states.

hjcu.jpg

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I used to be afraid of spiders, but I learned to identify the poisonous ones in my area. The brown recluse and the black widow are the only poisonous spiders in my region of Indiana I do believe. I'm now no longer afraid of the others because they can't hurt me. As long as they aren't the two mentioned above I leave them alone in the home to take care of the more annoying insects for me.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Thanks for the chart printcraft. I think the brown recluse and black widow are just the most common in this state. Well, guess I'll add hobo spider to my list of ones to watch out for. Most of the spiders we get here are orb weavers and those little furry black and white ones. Not sure what they are, but I don't think they're anything to worry about.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    At least you have a better chance of seeing the big ones. We have a few in the US that can do some serious harm as printcraft pointed out, not nearly as large. I found this black widow just outside the sliding patio door of a house I was renting in Alabama on a field assignment a few years ago. No where near the size of your face, this one would fit on a quarter, but I sure wouldn't want to get bit by one. Common as apple pie in some areas of the US:

BlackWidow.jpg

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was at the Memphis zoo a few years ago and they had a spider exhibition. There was one exhibit that was in the middle of the room and I kept looking at it trying to figure out where it was...when it dawned on me that that big rock setting there was the spider. I think it was a bird eating spider or goliath something or another....but it was huge.

These people that let tarantulas crawl on them and stuff--I know they'll probably not hurt you but my natural response is throw it to the ground and stomp.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Some of these I'd rather shoot with a target load. There's no way I'd try and hit it with a news paper.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I had a recluse in the garage....... hit it with brake cleaner.
    Normally that will lock up spiders and wasps almost instantly.
    That SOB sprang out of the hole he was in and started trucking toward me. :eek:
    I sprayed him again, no effect... I don't know what to make of it.
    He was less hardened against my shoe however.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    DZRZapD.jpg

This is in Thailand. Just a spider eating a lizard...

If I saw that, I guess I'd have to burn my house down and get a new one. Ain't no going back to that.

I like spiders when they eat bugs that bother me. When spiders start eating larger things... well, I'm out.

piper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    My unit was in the field a few weeks ago doing some training. At some point a spider crawled into my pc and didn't fall out when I shook it as most do while in the woods. Anyway the thing bit me on the head and that hurt pretty good for a few days. I didn't catch what kind it was as I threw my hat immediately. That brought them down in my book, although I usually leave ones in my house alone as long as they don't build an army big enough to take over.

Top Bottom