Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    spacer.gif
    From Marlin Stutzman

Spending, Debt, and Notre Dame Football
    If there is one thing I've learned over the course of the last year as I've traveled this state, it's that Hoosiers are looking for authenticity from their elected leaders. If there is a second thing that I've learned, it's that when it comes to college sports in Indiana, you better know who your audience is. In a recent appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe program, Senator Bayh managed to pull off what I thought was a very difficult feat--insulting an entire state by masking his voting record, and revealing himself as someone that apparently doesn't pay much attention to one of his state's home teams.

During the interview, Bayh shared his concern for incoming Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly for having to deal with the loss of starting quarterback, "Casey Clausen," but more on that a bit later. The real purpose of having Bayh on the program was to have the Senator speak about his newfound desire to become a fiscal conservative. He shared that we must now start to look at addressing the runaway spending and crippling debt that faces our nation, and will shackle future generations. With triangulation like that we must be nearing an election year. It's unfortunate that MSNBC let Bayh off the hook for his appalling fiscal record, but then again, the Senator has been given a free pass his entire career.

It's also unfortunate no one on the panel questioned him as to why after 12 years in Washington he now wants to tackle spending and our nation's debt. When Senator Bayh assumed office in 1999, our nation's debt stood at approximately $5,600,000,000,000.00. The Senator must have felt that seemed pretty manageable, because for the next 10 years, he watched the debt grow under his leadership in Washington. The following chart to the right from the U.S. Treasury Department shows the alarming growth under Senator Evan Bayh's watch.

Where was Senator Bayh during all this? Why is he just now taking notice of our nation's financial crisis? Maybe the chart below will help to explain that. It shows another kind of fiscal growth--Senator Bayh's campaign account.

As you can see, like our nation's debt, each year it gets pretty substantial as well. It seems the Senator at least knows how to control spending on his campaign. Frankly, Senator Bayh's attempt at leadership is too little too late. He has sat idly by for over a decade with nothing to show for his time in office but his own personal enrichment. You see, Senator Bayh is one of what I call the 'Washington Millionaires.' That is someone that has become a millionaire while serving in elected office. Trust me, I don't fault financial success. But, it should be unconscionable for someone that we send to watch over our hard-earned tax money to become a millionaire both personally and politically.

As a 'Washington Millionaire' the Senator has forgotten what real Hoosiers struggle with each and every day. He knows nothing of meeting a budget, stretching income, or figuring out how a small business will make payroll during a difficult month. He's lost touch with real Hoosiers and what the reality is back home in Indiana. It's a small flub on an interview to confuse Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen with Tennessee's Casey Clausen, but as Senator of our state, it's a big tell as to your authenticity, or lack thereof. Hoosiers need an authentic voice representing them in a city built on inauthenticity. Washington D.C. needs real leadership, not another 'Washington Millionaire'.

People here in Indiana may not agree on whether their college team colors should be cream and crimson, gold and blue, or old gold and black, but they all agree authenticity is the real key to changing Washington. When I speak to folks around this state, I share with them that Washington is not off limits, but we need them to get there. I'm asking you today to join with me in any way you can to keep that message going. Forward this email to a friend, post it as a note on Facebook, and consider making a contribution to the cause. Every bit helps, and with your help we can bring authentic, conservative leadership back to Washington.

God Bless.

Sincerely,

Marlin

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Interesting article and thats Jimmy Clausen not Casey Clausen from Notre Dame. I agree that little has been done to hault spending by congress by the dems but the republicans are every bit as guilty as is the republican senator from Indiana. IMO.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have always been mystified by the Bayh worship in this state. I remember as a boy how otherwise sane people thought Birch was the best thing since sliced bread (not everyone, my Dad disliked him). Did they sacrifice a child to the State at some point? Does anyone know?

Top Bottom