• ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hello,
    I'm curious if anyone here has special ordered a rifle at Dick's Sporting Goods. If so, did the process seem to go ok?
    I know they have a book on the counter of everything they can order, but I've never done it.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I have found it more economical to pick what I like and go to my local good guy Granger Guns) and have him order it.
    It's a bit more personal and he does remember that you brought him business not to mention he's always beat any price I have came up with

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I started wondering about buying a gun from Dick's because I told my wife (and apparently she told the rest of the family) that I'd like gift certificates there for Christmas.

When I looked at their sales flier where it had "X" off for "XX" spent and when I looked at that it wasn't too far off the best deal I can get. I may end up just using the certificates for exercise stuff or clothes, but I was hoping maybe a new rifle of some kind. :)

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I would only order a rifle if its something I cant find locally. When im buying a new firearm at a shop I always ask the salesman to bring out 2 of them when possible. I look them both over and choose the one with the nicest looking wood. If you want something with a plastic stock it doesnt matter so much I guess:dunno:

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    From what I've heard, they take their sweet time getting any special orders in for you.
    IMO, shop around online and see if you can get what you want from somewhere, maybe even out of state, and arrange an FFL transfer.
    Many times, you can save a ton of money if you look hard enough.
    Dicks won't do a FFL transfer though. I've tried, and they just looked at me funny and suggested I try an independent retailer.

Their prices are on the high end as well and their selection is generally pretty weak.
    That book on the counter is no substitute for the internet.
    I've also found their employees to be monumentally ignorant about firearms and shooting in general.
    If you see a good deal in their paper ad, I'd go for it, but only if it's the same thing you'll find anywhere else. I got a stellar price there on my Remington 700 sps in .308 last year.

As a side note, the Trader's Point Dicks (86th and Zionsville Rd) has a guy there that really knows his stuff about bowhunting if you're into that sort of thing.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Believe me guys, I've never bought a gun from Dick's before in my life. I have noticed that they do have decent deals every once in a while. The idea of buying a gun there came from thinking I might get a lot of gift certificates there this Christmas that would soften the price of the gun for my out of pocket expense.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well.... I went to dicks last last to place an order for a rifle that I knew they wouldn't have in stock, but figured they'd be able to get in stock reasonably soon. I was told last night that they'd call it in this morning and then call me back if it was in stock. I guess the guy behind the counter called in about 4 different guns and none of them were in stock. I have the order in, but I'm going to have to wait. I was expecting to have to wait a while though. :(

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have found it more economical to pick what I like and go to my local good guy Granger Guns) and have him order it.
    It's a bit more personal and he does remember that you brought him business not to mention he's always beat any price I have came up with

:+1: I agree with Farmritch. I got a good buy at Granger Guns.

Lower price then Wally World and they had to order it, GG had it on the shelf. And lower then other shops that also had it on the shelf.

Let us know how long it takes to get here?

one more

EDIT: Also the rifle GG had on the shelf was a better/higher model then Wally World could get. So lower price and more Bells then Wally World-- Never have been the lowest price!!!! (Really only went there because I have $900.00 of Chamber $$$ checks to spend.)

Last edited:

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    Where is Granger Guns located?

I bought a Thompson Center Omega there several years ago - it was their special with stainless barrel and thumbhole synthetic stock for $399. Couldn't touch that price with a pole at Cabelas, Bass Pro or Gander Mountain. My preference is to buy through classifieds and have them shipped to my gunsmith.

Top Bottom