• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I think it's reasonable to allow adults to make their own decisions without mandating that someone else's agenda gets crammed down their throats.

I don't really consider the murder of the unborn just an "agenda". We have murdered approximately 50 million babies since 1973. Compare that with individuals like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc. and we rank right up there with them.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is not for any particular person; however, I think it is prudent that I remind everyone this is a very contentious subject and to continue conveying your point(s) of view in a respectful manner.

Pyroponce

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    South Bend
    The law provides for more than a waiting period. Women interested in getting a non-emergency abortion must meet with a counselor who explains that unborn infants are people too, and that there are alternatives to abortion, like giving up the child for adoption.

In theory, this law is a great idea. The only serious problem is logistical; namely, there's only one provider of non-emergency abortions in South Dakota, and since the woman must wait three days between consultation with the physician and having the procedure done, the woman would likely have to make an expensive trip twice for one procedure. Nevertheless; that is a small consideration in the face of reducing unnecessary abortions.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Planned Parenthood said the centers "must have as their central mission a desire to dissuade a woman from having an abortion, no matter what her particular risks or circumstances."

South Dakota obstetrician Marvin Buehner told CNN Rapid City affiliate KEVN that the new law is "government-mandated interference in the doctor/patient relationship."
    Setting aside abortion.

The government is comprised of a very small portion of the population who have their own agendas. They want to tell everyone else what they can and can't do, and shape society to fit what they believe is best through various means. Some people call it social engineering, and I don't think our government should be in that business.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    My beliefs aside, if there are to be regulations/laws regarding abortion, they should be made on the state level, from a constitutional perspective. For that reason Roe v. Wade should be overturned.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    My beliefs aside, if there are to be regulations/laws regarding abortion, they should be made on the state level, from a constitutional perspective. For that reason Roe v. Wade should be overturned.

I agree with this position. While I'm personally opposed to abortion in almost all cases, I believe it should be up to the citizens of each state to decide what level of abortion they want to allow.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I agree with this position. While I'm personally opposed to abortion in almost all cases, I believe it should be up to the citizens of each state to decide what level of abortion they want to allow.

I'm personally not opposed to abortion and I think the woman should choose. That said, even though we're both on different sides I totally agree it should be up to the states. Like everything else, you pick a state based on it's laws and how you want to live.

The 3-day waiting period seems reasonable enough. If an adult has thought through the situation and made the decision a few more days shouldn't change much...assuming the 3 days won't matter medically. If it will I would assume it would fall into the "emergency" category.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm personally not opposed to abortion and I think the woman should choose. That said, even though we're both on different sides I totally agree it should be up to the states. Like everything else, you pick a state based on it's laws and how you want to live.

The 3-day waiting period seems reasonable enough. If an adult has thought through the situation and made the decision a few more days shouldn't change much...assuming the 3 days won't matter medically. If it will I would assume it would fall into the "emergency" category.

A 3-day waiting period doesn't sound unreasonable, but it isn't just a waiting period. The law will require women to have counseling at a "pregnancy help center" whose goal is to dissuade them from having an abortion.

"I think everyone agrees with the goal of reducing abortion by encouraging consideration of other alternatives," Daugaard. "I hope that women who are considering an abortion will use this three-day period to make good choices."
    Hupke says the centers will provide important counseling about abortion and offer alternatives "so that women get the information so that they can make an informed decision, a voluntary decision."
    Daugaard is using the power of law and government to convince women to change their minds. Apparently Daugaard believes that women are uninformed, can't make decisions on their own, and need his guidance to wait three days and get information at a help center.

Might I suggest to Mr. Daugaard, who surely isn't reading this post, that he focus his efforts on preventing unwanted pregnancies. Maybe he can help legislate a three-day waiting period and professional counseling before people can have sex?

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think he's doing what he feels morally responsible to do, which is to inform women seeking abortions that there is information to consider. To him, and to a large number of Americans, it's a matter of protecting the rights of everyone involved. Personally, I applaud him.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1 Leftsock.

I would hazard that many/most women who have chosen to abort an unwanted pregnancy have already thought about it for more than 3 days. This is simply the .gov playing thought police and trying to legislate morality.

It is the state's role (at their citizen's behest) to punish unwanted behavior. Either make it illegal or don't. Leave the counseling to the non-profits that actually care, and the individuals who actually want it.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's a local new story on this:

KDLT.com South Dakota News - Gov. Daugaard Signs Abortion Waiting Period Bill; Both Sides React

“They heard the women's cries, they listened to the women who talked about coercion and said they wanted more time to make that decision."
    This group believes that many women who have abortions are persuaded by others to have it. I tend to agree.

Late Tuesday afternoon, the ACLU and Planned Parenthood announced they plan to file a lawsuit to overturn the new law. Meanwhile, supporters of the waiting period say they will find private money defend the law in court.
    Uh oh, private money vs. public money. Wonder who's going to win this one... :popcorn:

Last edited:

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The 3-day waiting period is good in my opinion. I personally and not against abortion for other people, but when it comes to me and mine, I wouldn't want to lose my children this way. That being said having a mandatory "cool-down" time, and requiring a counselor appointment and talk is a definite step in a "good" direction this will help people from making rash decisions that they may regret later on down the line. Now again this is my opinion and with a topic as this I don't expect everyone to agree/think as I do.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The law provides for more than a waiting period. Women interested in getting a non-emergency abortion must meet with a counselor who explains that unborn infants are people too, and that there are alternatives to abortion, like giving up the child for adoption.
    Good thing there's only 115,000 kids in line for adoption ahead of them, and everyone opposing abortion is signed up to be adoptive parents. Otherwise we might have a problem.

Top Bottom