Sorting out a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I had made the decision to pick up a new 10/22 after the holidays and, well, you can probably guess how that went. I looked high and low for about two months before catching a small shipment at Keene's Depot down in Bardstown, KY. It seemed to be one of those deals where they changed the website's status to "in stock" and all the rifles were sold out in something like six minutes. Somewhere in that time, I managed to get my name attached to one of them and locked it in at $239. As their website instructs, I gave them a few days to get it moved from the warehouse to the store and drove down to pick it up. This is the model I was after, the base model Carbine with a synthetic stock:

1022Carbine_zps68e447f9.jpg

Opening the box when I got back home soon revealed how Ruger has managed to keep the prices of this little rifle so low. My first 10/22 from around 1985 cost about $150, if I remember correctly. It's not all that surprising, considering how many formerly metal parts are now plastic and it appears the rifles are assembled by hobos. Cycling the bolt for the first time actually scared me, as I thought the action had been contaminated with sand! It seemed to function, but just. I would guess the trigger pull at around 8-10lbs. Similar to my Kel-Tec P3AT, only muddier, gritter, and with no clear stacking. An absolute mess, in other words. Also noticed was a lack of sling studs. I was, however, overjoyed to find they had finally adopted a proper magazine release that works splendidly!

I completely disassembled the rifle and went to work. I found the barrel band and stock to fit the barrel snugly. As a result of the 10/22's unique barrel attachment, I've always improved their accuracy by seeking consistent tension along the full length of the action and barrel. The synthetic stock should be a real winner in this department.

In the trigger group, the hammer and sear surfaces were ground, stoned, and polished to lighten the pull and remove some of the excessive engagement demanded by Ruger's attorneys. I clipped 2.5 coils from the mainspring, polished all the contact surfaces, and reassembled the trigger group. Good enough for a service rifle, at least for now.

The bolt group is where the hobos really shined! The bolt itself appeared to have been made primarily on a chop saw. It was covered in tool marks, had burrs and sharp edges at numerous points, and generally looked like some of the cheaper items found at Harbor Freight. The bolt got a good stoning and general deburring followed by a light polish. The charging handle proved to be where the bulk of my grittiness was coming from. I doused it in heavy oil and began sliding the charging handle up and down the spring guide. Not making a great deal of headway, I washed the assembly in hot, soapy water and let it dry. I then dabbed some Simichrome polish on the guide rod and went back to working the charging handle. That removed the bluing and smoothed things up in a hurry. Another hot water wash and coating with light oil seemed to do the trick. Cycling the action dry had only left a few minor bright spots inside the receiver itself, so I gave those areas a bit of attention and called it finished. Once reassembled, this new rifle was a whole lot closer to the 10/22's of my youth. At least, I had great confidence it would cycle smoothly. I also installed a set of swivel studs (machine screw front, wood screw rear) and the install seemed to go just fine.

I had a little free time this afternoon so went for a walk in the woods. While it felt more like three, Ruger claims the Carbine weighs five pounds even. It was a beautiful day made even better by this 25 yard offhand group produced by the first ten rounds ever fired through it. Ammo was the ultra-rare CCI Mini Mag solids:

photo1_zps736a61ff.jpg

Even considering how much work the rifle needed to get to the point of serviceability (in my opinion), it's still a great deal. Even if you don't feel up to the task of doing the work, it doesn't take a lot of time to finish one out. I spent about 90 minutes at the kitchen table on this one and am entirely pleased with the outcome. Now, if I could just find some reasonably priced .22LR...

Saber

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    10/22

I got one @ Dicks around Thanksgiving for $179 on sale.
    Other than the trigger wobble is was pretty nice.
    Shimmed the trigger, lightened up the pull, put on a $100 Bronellls bull barrel.
    It is now a tack driver.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    I have to agree. The Rugers I have looked at in the last couple of years look like they are cutting corners. My older ruger 10/22, m77, model 1, super redhawk and black hawk all look to have nice quality. but there fire arms made in the last few years are starting to look as they have cut corners.

ARdan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NW IN
    Have a 15 year old 10/22 that has thousands of rounds thru it and you can't find a better bang for the buck. Found same rough work when purchasing a new one for a friend, but some fitting and polish made a lot of differance.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Tech Sights and sling are now fitted and it's a radical departure from how it came from the factory. It feels like a service rifle, now! I'm going on a six-mile bugout hike tomorrow and plan on carrying the 10/22, so should have a better idea of how it performs in the field after that. I went with Tech-Sights' Model TSR100, which features the two position rear aperture as found on the AR15/M16 rifles. The sling is a mil-surp (same as new) 1-1/4" M14 item, also acquired from Tech-Sights.

photo5_zpse0d69d58.jpg

photo7_zps2442aef8.jpg

photo4_zps5911cf49.jpg

photo6_zps7b6e9505.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good timing. I shot mine for the first time today. I am going to do a trigger job on it soon and add Tech Sights. My wife is going to use it for Appleseed this Summer and I may do some Steel Challenge with it.

I will look at the bolt to when I do the trigger work. Would be nice to have some more details on what you did to the bolt, but I can re-read your post.

I have a detailed trigger job document with pictures so I have that much down anyway.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I am fortunate to have got both my 10/22's used. They are older models and work perfectly. Lots of good info here to remember if I get my hands on a newer one.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Yep this page will be a good bookmark for future use. Thanks for great info. So far, all I have done is the bolt release but there will be more to come.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I had the opportunity to take the 10/22 along on a little six mile bugout drill this weekend and do some realistic field shooting. If you have any inclination at all to try these Tech-Sights, don't hesitate. It becomes a different rifle altogether once the sights and a good sling are installed.

Knowing how we all love pics and that :postpics:, here you go:

This is the area I hiked. It's along the shoreline of a lake that gets drawn down during the winter, leaving miles of walking space along the banks.

1_zps6a413901.jpg

2_zps4847f509.jpg

Here's ten shots from 50 yards, offhand rapid fire, sent off just as quickly as I could gain/regain my sight picture.

50rapid_zps68fb7cd2.jpg

And here's a 50 yard group fired as I steadied the rifle on the bridge abutment in the prior photo. I was using the dark spot as a vertical aiming point, but firing at the stump's horizontal center of mass. The wind was a constant challenge, puffing fairly nonstop at around 10-15mph.

100solid_zps4aa143f0.jpg

Stopping for a break on this old bridge, I propped my gear up for this shot.

7_zpsf6cfa22d.jpg

Here's one of the few remaining sections of old road left from before the lake was built. I vaguely remember traveling this road as a pre-schooler, but it was finally closed sometime in 1970.

4_zpscd21d4e7.jpg

Here's five @ 100 yards, offhand with a full-value wind blowing left to right. As you can see, I wasn't holding quite enough into the wind. I was just happy to hear the slap of lead on plastic each time I pressed the trigger. The black spot at the lower center of the can isn't a bullet hole.

100offhand_zps18ba09e3.jpg

I did some serious long range work here, stretching out to probably 250-300 yards. Dealing with the wind and the little .22 bullet going transonic, each hit at long-range is a victory made all the sweeter in light of the iron sights!

8_zpsd4c40797.jpg

Here's another 5-shot 100 yard group fired from the kneeling position, although I cheated and rested my arm against a log.

50assumed_zpsf70a2134.jpg

Some gratuitous woods and water shots:

12_zps77908e34.jpg

11_zpsfa62fef6.jpg

10_zps6e0ef18a.jpg

13_zpscc5bbc9b.jpg

Here's the two guys with rifles that materialized on my six about 3/4 of the way through this adventure. I put glass on 'em and they seemed to be just out for a walk, too.

14_zps0ce1bcc7.jpg

Almost back to the truck, I'm looking mighty tired.

8_zpsc137be5e.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had the opportunity to take the 10/22 along on a little six mile bugout drill this weekend and do some realistic field shooting. If you have any inclination at all to try these Tech-Sights, don't hesitate. It becomes a different rifle altogether once the sights and a good sling are installed.

50assumed_zpsf70a2134.jpg

8_zpsc137be5e.jpg

I will pick up a set of the Tech Sights. I also need a sling to do an Appleseed this Summer. Which one did you get? And what mounts did you buy?

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I will pick up a set of the Tech Sights. I also need a sling to do an Appleseed this Summer. Which one did you get? And what mounts did you buy?

I ordered the 1-1/4" M14 web sling from Tech-Sights at the same time I ordered the sights. The sling studs and QD swivels are the standard Uncle Mike's offering that uses the machine screw front and wood screw rear studs. The synthetic stock is a little on the thin side but so far, no problems.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ordered the 1-1/4" M14 web sling from Tech-Sights at the same time I ordered the sights. The sling studs and QD swivels are the standard Uncle Mike's offering that uses the machine screw front and wood screw rear studs. The synthetic stock is a little on the thin side but so far, no problems.

I'm new to adding sling mounts. For the wood stock would I still use a machine screw for the front? Thanks.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I'm new to adding sling mounts. For the wood stock would I still use a machine screw for the front? Thanks.

I think you can use either on 10/22 wood stocks, as they're rather chunky on the forend. They also make a stud that attaches to the barrel band screw, which is probably the easiest route if you have a metal band. The new bands are plastic.

Top Bottom