• ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Opines please for getting my daughter a handgun:

She has shot my Bersa 380 ACP and a couple of my 9mm. The recoil of the 40 S&W and 45ACP bothers her.
    This is not going to be for carry, just a store in the house for a SHTF possibility. She doesn't pretend to be a crack shot, not wanting a custom, just wants something for protection in the house that she feels comfortable shooting.
    (I mentioned a pump 20 ga, but I think it fell on deaf ears.)

I'd like her to go with a 9mm (9x19 or 9x18) for a bit more punch than the 380ACP.

Thanks for suggestions.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'd go with the 9mm, too, (even tho I carry a .45). Ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced, so she can get in loads of practice. Make sure she gets her LTCH, too, so she can get that practice in. Then, when she wants a rifle you can get her a Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I'd go with the 9mm, too, (even tho I carry a .45). Ammo is plentiful and reasonably priced, so she can get in loads of practice. Make sure she gets her LTCH, too, so she can get that practice in. Then, when she wants a rifle you can get her a Beretta Storm carbine in 9mm.

Why pay for a Storm when you can buy a Hi-Point carbine for half the price? I do agree with 9mm handgun. Also a .357 or .38spl revolver might be a good choice and in my opinion safer to handle, especially for a beginner.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    I had already sent her info on a couple of 38Spl revolvers. I guess she is spoiled by a SA handgun. Personally, I liked the idea of a wheelgun because of reliability under pressure situations, but she balked at the idea.

I'm gonna try to talk to her and let her try a few 9mm out this weekend.

The Hi-Point might be an interesting idea also, thanks.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Push the scatter gun. Hopefuly the ontruder isnt deaf and the slide rack would prevent an incident! If not... point, brace and fire. Tons of practice not needed.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I guess one question is why did the shotty suggestion fall on deaf ears? I think it's an excellent idea for home protection. As was mentioned, hearing that slide racking in a shell should have any BG on the move.

I also second the suggestion of a Hi Point 9mm carbine. I think half of the critical comments come from the parrot club. Mine has been flawless, and it's just plane fun to shoot.

As for a pistol or revolver, if it's too much flash, bang and recoil she isn't going to be partial to using it. Whatever she feels comfortable with is the right choice.:twocents:

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    If you are concerned about accuracy in a high stress environment nothing beats the shot gun. If some how you manage to empty it you still have a nice steel bat in your hands. I would also recommend the shot gun as the shot is less likely to go as far through walls and endanger family members/neighbors. Once the adrenaline hits and fight or flight kicks in the shot gun will weigh nothing to her.

There is also the Judge. Wheel gun and a scatter. But, may not be the most comfortable for a daily shooter.

P.S. Good for you son in law. Nothing says commitment to a marriage like training her how to shoot.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep for home defense my number one weapon is the remington 870 with the knoxx recoil reduction stock. it would be perfect for her most likely!! it even has the collapsible butt stock to fit perfect to her. if she doesnt want a stock, then they make the pistol grip version too. the recoil reduction makes a big difference. throw on a light with a easy to use tail push cap or preasure switch, and she will be golden!!!
    NO ONE is gonna get up from a torso shot of 00BUCK !!! pump and feed it to their azzes!!, pump and feed, pump and feed!!! yum yum yum, the bad guys love it.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    She's never handled or shot a shotgun. However, I think I'll still try to get her to try out my Rem 870 20ga. Might be a good learning experience for her.
    She's also never tried out the Hi Point 9mm w/ ATI stock.
    I've got a G19 for her to try, as well as other 9mm and a Mak 9mm.

Should be fun time at the range. :): She'll have lots of possibilities to try.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you can talk her into a shotty don't go with a pump. Go semi-auto. Racking a shell sounds good in those, too and she doesn't have to worry about anything after the first shot. Point and click every time.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I guess one question is why did the shotty suggestion fall on deaf ears? I think it's an excellent idea for home protection. As was mentioned, hearing that slide racking in a shell should have any BG on the move.

Push the scatter gun. Hopefuly the ontruder isnt deaf and the slide rack would prevent an incident!

Go semi-auto. Racking a shell sounds good in those, too....

Whatever you manage to talk he into, make sure the first thing she does is give away her position to a dangerous criminal.

You don't want her choosing her own gun, and you CERTAINLY don't want her learning any sound tactics.

*reality check*

Instead of getting swept up in the above tomfoolery why don't you let her try a bunch of different guns, make up her own mind, and take her to one of the MANY quality NRA personal protection classes located around this fair state? ;)

I speak from EXPERIENCE when I saw that a woman WILL NOT SHOOT a gun that she didn't want to start with. It will take her all of 10 seconds to forget it even exists (until you get into a fight about money, when she will suddenly remember all the money you wasted). Unless you want to waste your money, get her the gun SHE wants; even if it means buying some cliche' pink thing. You will be better off.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Whatever you manage to talk he into, make sure the first thing she does is give away her position to a dangerous criminal.

You don't want her choosing her own gun, and you CERTAINLY don't want her learning any sound tactics.

*reality check*

Instead of getting swept up in the above tomfoolery why don't you let her try a bunch of different guns, make up her own mind, and take her to one of the MANY quality NRA personal protection classes located around this fair state? ;)

I speak from EXPERIENCE when I saw that a woman WILL NOT SHOOT a gun that she didn't want to start with. It will take her all of 10 seconds to forget it even exists (until you get into a fight about money, when she will suddenly remember all the money you wasted). Unless you want to waste your money, get her the gun SHE wants; even if it means buying some cliche' pink thing. You will be better off.

I concur with ChalupaCabras! My wife was interested in learning how to shoot after we got married...but wanted to pick her own gun. After looking around for about a month, she picked a Beretta 84 Cheetah in .380acp. She shot that for a year, then, after we found out we were pregnant with our first, she wanted something a little more powerful. We traded her Beretta for a Glock 26, with factory night sights, and put a model 19 mag + an A&G grip spacer on it and she was fine. (The Beretta is only 1 of 2 guns I wish I had back throughout all of the guns I've owed over the past 15 years.)

Since then, we've added a Ruger SP101 in .38+P (Meprolight Night Sight + Trausch Grip) to get her used to revolvers (I have several) and last August, added a Remington 870 Tactical in 20 Gauge with a factory extended mag tube. I added a Meprolight Front Night Sight and a neoprene butt-stock shot-shell holder to give her an additional 5 rounds.

A friend of ours is selling her Glock 19 and my wife is now interested in it (I have a 32...and she likes the grip) so we're working towards getting that as well (it factory night sights and 3 hi-cap mags).

My wife wants what she wants...nothing more and nothing less. Guns will be a transition for your daughter, which is a normal growing thing...no one has their original guns...they've upgraded and changed over time.

I would much rather my wife have a 9mm and a 20 GA shotgun, that she will use, rather than something I bought for her that she doesn't like. Take her around and let her pick up, feel, try different types of guns, revolvers, semi's, etc...and see what she likes! When it's up to her, you might be surprised what she chooses. :twocents:

Lately, my wife has taken a liking to my Ruger LCR .38+P (which I bought a Tritium Front Night Sight for), so we're trading...I'm taking her SP101 and she's carrying my LCR.

squisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    ChalupaCabras is right. Let her pick or it will be a safe queen.

As far as "no one has their original guns." I guess I'm weird. I've got 'em all :)

Variety is the spice of life. Ask me which one I like to carry, and the answer will probably be "Yes." (even the long guns).

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

*reality check*

While I agree that the weapon should be the womens choice since she is using it I don't know what tomfoolery you speak of.

What La La Land do you live in where the average crimal walks toward teh sound of chambering firearms but I gues that would be the equivalent of " Walking Toward The Light"

And as far as giving away your location... many of the fine instuctors you say are in this state use the idea of YELLING out I have a firearm and am calling the police to the perpatrator to make them aware of your intentions. I guess a gun racking or a slide falling forward is more obvious that an adrenalin pumped woman yelling.

What experiance do you speak from? My experiance comes from the 10 years in teh firearms industry I have and few (6) "survivor" stories we have of woman coming in to tell us how verbal ( yelling) and audible (slide racking) commands worked in having intrudors exit the home. While it is impossible to get into the brain of every criminal I can only imagine 98% don't have a death wish.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    And a .410 870 makes as much noise loading as a 12 gauge yet handles like a charm for a woman.

Hey dockem, we know your son in law wants your daughter to be armed and you think it;s a good idea as well, but has anyone sat down withher and asked her opinion on this matter?

Believe it or not, after consultation, a large majority of women DONT wantth responsabilities that go with gun ownership and actualy opt out to buy a dog! Again, not a bad idea if the gun isnt going to get used when man and moment cross paths. And by dog I don't mean a poodle! :)

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Take her to the range and shoot as many different guns as possible. Find the one she shoots the best. No gun is any good if you cant hit with it. That is what I did for my daughter. I was surprised that she loved the XD 40 V10 (a ported XD 40). A ported gun is not the best choice for self defense weapon so the next gun she was most proficient with was a Bersa Thunder 380, that is what she has now.

Top Bottom